1st message on Whatsapp has no sound, then normal

davidayud

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site
Whenever I receive a new message on Whatsapp in a new conversation there is no sound or vibration notification. All I get is the pop-up. If my contact sends a 2nd message soon after then everything is normal, I then get all notifications. If I wait 5 minutes after ending that 1st conversation and a contact sends me a message then the whole problem resets and that 1st new message has no sound or vibration notification, only the pop-up.

Whatsapp has no solution for me. This has been going on for almost 2 months.

I have no problems with my other messaging apps (Messaging or Viber), only Whatsapp.

davidayud

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site
I have had Whatsapp on my phone for years and this problem suddenly popped up. I sent Whatsapp screen shots of all my notifications and settings and they have not provided a solution. I am missing text messages and Whatsapp calls because of this problem. I have the original Whatsapp.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have had Whatsapp on my phone for years and this problem suddenly popped up. I sent Whatsapp screen shots of all my notifications and settings and they have not provided a solution. I am missing text messages and Whatsapp calls because of this problem. I have the original Whatsapp.
Welcome to the forums. Which phone do you have? Did you received a system update recently?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung S8 Active. I have had several Whatsapp updates and at least one Samsung update during this time period.
You could try the usual basic troubleshooting:

- Wipe the cache partition.
- Disable all battery optimization options, specially for WhatsApp.
- Make sure that the use of background data is not restricted for WhatsApp.
- Change the different notification tones in WhatsApp to one of the stock options.

davidayud

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site
I tried all of those. I even reset the Whatsapp notifications also. The cache partition was the Whatsapp cache yes? If so, I did that.

davidayud

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site
Ok, I went to Settings, Apps, Whatsapp, Battery and I turned off the switch for Optimize.

However, there is still no sound for the 1st message.

davidayud

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site
No, I have not tried doing that and that was not suggested to me by Whatsapp.
I have thought about doing it but I fear of losing my chats even though I back them up daily.

I am also going to wipe the System Cache Partition that you recommended. I will be doing this later and test it out tomorrow when my friends are up and about. I will let you know the result.

Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, I have not tried doing that and that was not suggested to me by Whatsapp.
I have thought about doing it but I fear of losing my chats even though I back them up daily.

I am also going to wipe the System Cache Partition that you recommended. I will be doing this later and test it out tomorrow when my friends are up and about. I will let you know the result.

Thanks.
Ok...

davidayud

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site
Ok, I performed both of these. Now whatsapp is saying it cannot restore my chat backup form google drive. I copied my whatsapp folder to my computer so I have that. I also believe there is a local backup on my phone. I went to google drive and the file exists but whatsapp is not restoring it.

davidayud

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site
Ok, I got the backup to work. My friend sent me a message and it can through fine but it does that sometimes so I will wait until tomorrow after a few different conversations to see if the sound comes through all the time. Thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey, yeah you should see few back ups in Google drive
Ok, I got the backup to work. My friend sent me a message and it can through fine but it does that sometimes so I will wait until tomorrow after a few different conversations to see if the sound comes through all the time. Thanks.

davidayud

Sep 9, 2019
Visit site
I saw 2 backups but the Whatsapp file had 7 I think. Anyway, the reason it didn't restore was because I was not signed into the email attached to Whatsapp (I don't do email on my phone and it's a gmail account that is dedicated to Whatsapp). So I had several messages sent to me and all came through fine. I did notice a difference on the chat screen where it says "Tap and hold on a chat for more options". That was either not there before or was in a different location on the screen because the screen definitely looks different. I way have had a kink in a Whatsapp update because I had a few during the 2 months of this problem.

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon