Why is my whatsapp widget not getting added to the homescreen

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am not able to add the whatsapp widget to my home screen. I had this widget working normally on my phone. One day it stopped working so I removed it to so that I could add it once again. But its not getting added at all. I have tried clearing whatsapp Cache , I even reinstalled whatsapp app, but nothing worked. Please help

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Which WhatsApp widget are you trying to add, the Unread list, the shortcut for a chat or the camera? Which phone and Android version are you using?

NimH

May 5, 2020
Visit site
I was trying to add the 'unread list'. I had it previously on my home screen. I usually remove it and then add it back to homescreen whenever the widget strucked or unable to load messages. Recently i removed it for the similar reason and now when i'm trying to add it back to the home screen the widget doesn't add back.

I'm having Xiaomi Redmi note 6 pro and the details about android version is attached herewith.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-05-23-45-48-808_com.android.settings.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-05-23-45-48-808_com.android.settings.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 5

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I was trying to add the 'unread list'. I had it previously on my home screen. I usually remove it and then add it back to homescreen whenever the widget strucked or unable to load messages. Recently i removed it for the similar reason and now when i'm trying to add it back to the home screen the widget doesn't add back.

I'm having Xiaomi Redmi note 6 pro and the details about android version is attached herewith.

What do you mean by "it doesn't add back"? Can you find the widget in the widget drawer? Do you get an error after dragging it to your home screen? Do you have enough free space in your home screen?

NimH

May 5, 2020
Visit site
Yea. I can find the widget in the widget drawer and as you said i'm getting an error called ' system launcher keeps stopping' after drag it into the home screen.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yea. I can find the widget in the widget drawer and as you said i'm getting an error called ' system launcher keeps stopping' after drag it into the home screen.
Go to settings >apps >find your home launcher name and clear data,cache force stop it

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I searched a bit and there many reports of Xiaomi phones having constant problems with widgets. In many cases it's related to Miui optimisation or permission settings. This is one example of a possible solution.

https://youtu.be/ywQrYJ6rtnM

Are you using the stock launcher or a custom one? Do you have the app drawer enabled?

NimH

May 5, 2020
Visit site
Hey I found the solution. I tried the 'clear cache data and force stop it' but it didn't work. You guys are correct...There were many similar problems with widgets in xiaomi phones.

I did some tricky work. I enable the fingerprint unlock inside whatsapp privacy settings and then try the same procedure. Now the widget can be dragged into the home screen and it works!!!! If you want then disable the fingerprint unlock later.

Hope this will be helpful to someone in the future and thankyou vvery much guys for your support. Appreciate it very much!!!!!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey I found the solution. I tried the 'clear cache data and force stop it' but it didn't work. You guys are correct...There were many similar problems with widgets in xiaomi phones.

I did some tricky work. I enable the fingerprint unlock inside whatsapp privacy settings and then try the same procedure. Now the widget can be dragged into the home screen and it works!!!! If you want then disable the fingerprint unlock later.

Hope this will be helpful to someone in the future and thankyou vvery much guys for your support. Appreciate it very much!!!!!
Excellent! Glad you managed to find the solution and thanks for sharing it with us. It will be very helpful for other users with a similar problem.

shinye

May 9, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys.
I got the same problem.
But for me i did everything, even several times until I got disabled to connect to my whatsapp account for a while.. because of uninstaling and logging in a lot of times.
But my phone model is Sony Xperia XZ Premium, so I dont have any fingerprints on my whatsapp. Only on my phone locking.
Any advises?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys.
I got the same problem.
But for me i did everything, even several times until I got disabled to connect to my whatsapp account for a while.. because of uninstaling and logging in a lot of times.
But my phone model is Sony Xperia XZ Premium, so I dont have any fingerprints on my whatsapp. Only on my phone locking.
Any advises?
Thank you in advance.
Hi, welcome !
You tried clearing your launcher data cache, force stop ?

shinye

May 9, 2020
Visit site
For the whatsapp? Yes, I tried delete all data, clear whatsapp cache, force stopped application and reinstalled whatsapp for the serveral times

Even now removed any screen locking methods for the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For the whatsapp? Yes, I tried delete all data, clear whatsapp cache, force stopped application and reinstalled whatsapp for the serveral times

Even now removed any screen locking methods for the phone.
No , for your stock phone launcher

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair