To wind or not to wind?

Do you like wind Mobile?

• Total voters

alicklee

Jun 25, 2011
www.okok.ca
hello, first off I wish there was more wind threads.

I'm in the market to get a wind phone but cant decide.
I am currently on bell and my contracts is up soon like in the next month. bell is offering my same plan for $75 A MONTH tax in and im looking at saving some money so wanna give wind a try. right now they got the $40/month plan everything in($45 tax in) i would need to add vm.($52 tax in) but vm is free if you sign up before june 4th which i will miss anyways.

this is what im thinking of doing with wind.
i want to use the unlimited data plan for using my internet at home.
i do some on line gaming but not that much.
mainly listen to di.fm.
what I am more worried about is reception around the city and the data fare usage policy what is the speed they give you after 5gb and if you opt for the extra 5gb plan does it give you the same throttled after the 10gb or is it slower or faster then .25mbps??

. I live in Vancouver but i have been told by some people that doesnt work in the sky train transit systems in town and anything underground.

also the downside right now is i would have to get ride of my atrix4g with lapdock if i switch to wind. but i dont mind if i can get a phone that is better by that i mean faster and bigger screen maybe the s3 or something like that

I want to know what people thing of wind and what are there true ups and downs about having them for service.

thanks

amrivlin

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Here is my experience. (I have been using a Wind purchased Nexus S for 11 months)

Coverage for calling is decent.
I generally make calls and have little problem in the DT and Vancouver city itself.
I live at False Creek and Cambie and there are a few towers around this area.

Where coverage is horrendous:
In parking garages
Zero coverage in any Skytrain
little coverage in concrete buildings unless near a tower.

I do like the fact there is coverage in Whistler and Victoria.

I also get coverage in most of the lower mainland up to the border. Roaming/Away fees are ok and I can stomach using my phone in USA vs doing that on Rogers which I despise.

For roaming
.15 cents per text
.20 cents per min voice
$1 per MB data

I pay $40 + HST for unlimited usage while in a Wind Zone. vs using one of the big 3 would cost me much more.

I am considering selling/decommissioning my nexus S for a Galaxy S III this month.

The wind tab is ok, but I paid $350 for equipment and have 100 left on my tab.

My major / only complaint is the lack of coverage in the Skytrain (canada line) that is crappy. They want to implement it, but Telus doesn't want them to: http://www.techvibes.com/blog/war-o...ne-heats-up-between-wind-and-telus-2012-06-01

Last edited:
Reactions: alicklee

alicklee

Jun 25, 2011
www.okok.ca
Hmm that's pretty good. I think I'm going to go with wind first cause at least I can unlock the hand sets and goto mobo if it doesn't work out were as if it was mobo they won't unlock the handsets.
Goes the data overall though?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

alicklee

Jun 25, 2011
www.okok.ca
That's pretty good. Have you gotten it over the 5gb limit before they apply date usages on your phone and if so how.slow was it?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Chillout010

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been thinking about switching to Wind, the only thing that has stopped me until now is that I've heard that its reception and internet speeds are pretty bad.

What's the point of having unlimited data if you have speeds of less than 0.5mb/s?

Is it really that bad? Perhaps my friend has had bad luck?

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

alicklee

Jun 25, 2011
www.okok.ca
@chillout010

so far I am happy with Wind. i mean there are areas around town that it doesnt work in but hey they will put up more towers. also works in most area of my work which is one thing bell has never been able to do.

Speed are ok but hey its unlimited anyway so either way its good. even if they throttled your after 5gb i sure its still usable. besides if you want 10gb un throttled instead of 5gb you can pay an extra $10 amonth its till cheaper then your big 3 robelus.
It does the job here a screen shot of,my speed test

im about to hit my 5gb limit they just send me a text two day ago. its ll that streaming radio lol!

one thing I did findout about wind is that if your using twitter or facebook or translink sms short messaging its not included in the free texting plan so they do ding you $0.10 per message. o well with unlimited data who needs short messaging anyways.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

PS: thanks amrivlin for the info! best choice I've made on cell phones switch ever!

Last edited:

alicklee

Jun 25, 2011
www.okok.ca
This is what you,get after 5GB and they,fare USages kicks in. which is still usable cause I'm steaming music from di.fm at 128k acc
But if you want more you can always pay $10 more and get another 5GB which is still cheaper then the big 3 data plan.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
My entire extended family is on Wind. My gf bought out her Rogers contract to switch after she started dating me and saw how carefree I was with using my phone. I have colleagues who've joined after I told them about unlimited everything.

Paying more than $40 for mobile service is just a rip.

keithz

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I'd use it as a home internet connection.

In my last two years on Wind, I've had months over 5GB. But my highest has been 10 and generally speaking I'm just under the 5GB most months. I've gotten the notices about going over. Never felt a difference in speeds once.

That said, my brother DJs and used his phone as a replacement home modem when he moved to his new condo till internet was set up. Used something like 90 gigs....where usually his usage is 2-3GB. He did notice that his service got slowed to dial up speeds in the last 2-3 days of the month. Went back to normal after.

alicklee

Jun 25, 2011
www.okok.ca
Well wind was short live. I switch to mobilicity because of plans and customer service I find wind lacks good communication with there service department

Sent from my blazing fast nexus 4 o yeah baby this phone is awesome

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I ended up eventually switching away from Mobilicity because they had problems processing payment for me, and alternate methods weren't available, while Wind makes it easy for me to pay. Hopefully you don't run into the same problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums