What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean much better support? They are supported the same, Microsoft allows Nokia to do their color named updates too which gives people the illusion all other OEMs are slackers when that is not true. Nokia gets preferential treatment. And even then, aren't a good number of people using Dev Preview? It can be used on the M8 with Windows top, so the color updates are the only difference.

Posted via the Android Central App

A perfect example is the plethora of Nokia exclusive apps that they developed and made available to 920 users. HTC put little to no effort into that arena and 8X/8C users were very disappointed. Meanwhile, most Nokia users were saying "I made the right choice" and sales momentum developed. At the time of release, it was a tough call between the two flagships and only after the releases did it become clear that the overall 920 experience was better than the 8X experience. This is a commonly-accepted reality for WP users during that time--I think you are just rendering an opinion about something you have no experience with because you aren't a WP user.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
For all the bug updates HTC is updating the 8X at least right? So what's the issue? I feel Nokia fans are becoming like a cult, hostile to any other OEM other than Nokia, but always claim up and down bringing in more OEMs help WP, when they refuse to buy anything but Nokia.

It is almost like a wasted effort, if the HTC M8 with Windows flops, I will blame the Nokia fans.

Stereotyping brings nothing to the table other than creating dramatic effect. The M8 with Windows will succeed or fail on its own merits. If there is any secondary influence on its success, it would likely be the limitations of Windows Phone as a small market share OS. Nokia fans or cultists or whatever kind of hyperbolic label you want to place on them will have nothing to do with the success of the M8.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What does One M8 have that a Lumia 930 is lacking? Or a 1520? Let's not quibble over a small tweak here or there... Or the zero-point-one GHz extra clocking on the CPU from the very same chipset.

Granted the pixel per inch density on M8 is higher than 1520's, but at that level (greater than 350 ppi) it just becomes overkill hyped by Apple's Retina campaign... And the 930 matches the ppi of M8 at 441ppi.

Stereo speakers? But where's the FM radio?

What exactly prompts your assurance that M8 stands alone?

HTC One (M8) for Windows (CDMA) vs. Nokia Lumia 930 - GSMArena.com

[EDIT] OK so on closer look the chipsets have a slightly differing model #, but CPU and GPU wise they are nearly identical. [/EDIT]

No they are not, from AnAndtech the 801 GPU and CPU are slightly better than the 800. Making it the most up to date device running Windows.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
A perfect example is the plethora of Nokia exclusive apps that they developed and made available to 920 users. HTC put little to no effort into that arena and 8X/8C users were very disappointed. Meanwhile, most Nokia users were saying "I made the right choice" and sales momentum developed. At the time of release, it was a tough call between the two flagships and only after the releases did it become clear that the overall 920 experience was better than the 8X experience. This is a commonly-accepted reality for WP users during that time--I think you are just rendering an opinion about something you have no experience with because you aren't a WP user.

So Nokia over anything else? Which is what is wrong with the Windows fan base now. That's all fine, as I said, if this device flops because of the loyal Nokia fans, then that is who is to blame for the sales. But seeing as it is the first cross carrier WP since the 8X it may do even better then the Icon.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Stereotyping brings nothing to the table other than creating dramatic effect. The M8 with Windows will succeed or fail on its own merits. If there is any secondary influence on its success, it would likely be the limitations of Windows Phone as a small market share OS. Nokia fans or cultists or whatever kind of hyperbolic label you want to place on them will have nothing to do with the success of the M8.

Well, at least I now know it won't do good.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No they are not, from AnAndtech the 801 GPU and CPU are slightly better than the 800. Making it the most up to date device running Windows.

LMFAO... "slightly better" on a benchmark. I guess you slightly win.

Enjoy Ur interwebz, they is all Ur's 2day.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
So Nokia over anything else? Which is what is wrong with the Windows fan base now. That's all fine, as I said, if this device flops because of the loyal Nokia fans, then that is who is to blame for the sales. But seeing as it is the first cross carrier WP since the 8X it may do even better then the Icon.

Don't put words into my mouth. I'm not a Nokia fan or whatever sort of label you are trying to put on people who bought Nokia phones over HTC phones starting in 2012. I'm just stating the history of WP development into Nokia having a dominant market share vis-a-vis HTC. I would consider the W8 against anything that Microkia puts out in the future. I think most WP users that are eligible for upgrade want choices and HTC getting back in the game gives them more choices.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Well, at least I now know it won't do good.

Yep, that's why I never took seriously your claims that you were going to buy a Lumia Icon and why I have no doubt you will never buy this phone. You have a habit of saying things and changing your story in the very next post or thread. So if the M8 with Windows "won't do good" because it is a Windows Phone, why are you claiming be interested in buying one?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

What? In real day to day life there is an improvement in overall performance and battery life with the 801 vs the 800.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep, that's why I never took seriously your claims that you were going to buy a Lumia Icon and why I have no doubt you will never buy this phone. You have a habit of saying things and changing your story in the very next post or thread. So if the M8 with Windows "won't do good" because it is a Windows Phone, why are you claiming be interested in buying one?

What do sales have to do with my personal interest in something? And I said I am interested in it, not actually saying I will buy one. What happens with you, is because you don't like what I say, you go on the offensive and try to do character defamation and do personal attacks.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
What do sales have to do with my personal interest in something? And I said I am interested in it, not actually saying I will buy one. What happens with you, is because you don't like what I say, you go on the offensive and try to do character defamation and do personal attacks.

How do you know the M8 with Windows "won't do good?" Why would you expect me to believe that you would buy a phone that "won't do good?" You can say you are interested but it isn't very credible. Also, I am debating your points. Your ability to make compelling arguments has nothing to do with character. That's just a red herring. If you are feeling personally attacked, then don't respond and we'll move along.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

What's more important? The chipset that you won't feel any change at all in or the much more applicable camera, one of which shoots terribly low resolution photos? I should hope a camera that poor takes quick photos. It has to have some redeeming qualities and they even took the OIS out that they had on the m7 model. Honestly, that's worse than Sony removing flash from their high end Phablet. It's not a bad phone unless you care about camera at all.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For the record, handled one this morning. The screen looks great and the OS looks much better than Android did on it but they definitely didn't optimize it quite as much as Nokia did as a lot of the load times were a bit longer. It's a great phone to drag in new windows phone users but I don't think any long term Windows phone users will get it and keep it after the initial magic feel goes away.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
How do you know the M8 with Windows "won't do good?" Why would you expect me to believe that you would buy a phone that "won't do good?" You can say you are interested but it isn't very credible. Also, I am debating your points. Your ability to make compelling arguments has nothing to do with character. That's just a red herring. If you are feeling personally attacked, then don't respond and we'll move along.

I said I was INTERESTED, not saying I will actually buy it, but I am interested in it. I don't feel personally attacked, but you need to relax.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen any comparisons yet between photos from the Android and Windows Phone versions of the M8? Are they confirmed to be the same quality?

I saw shots from the m8 with Windows and while I can't confirm that they're the exact same quality, they're certainly not good.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

For the record I think that should have been cheaper off contract. It is $599 right now.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I saw shots from the m8 with Windows and while I can't confirm that they're the exact same quality, they're certainly not good.

Some people like the M8s camera. Guess different strokes and different folks.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site

The ones I saw looked pretty comparable to the Ativ SE but not quite as good as the Icon. All looked decent to me, but I'm not a photog and there were only a few comparison photos.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What? In real day to day life there is an improvement in overall performance and battery life with the 801 vs the 800.

I'm going to use less sarcasm... and express more fully how I feel.

There is no need to continue trying to argue with me. You can crow to the rafters about how "smart" you are. You won. You scored a major point and it was so devastating that I will withdraw from the field... However, read on; the point you made is not the one I believe you intended.

Keep the whole thread, you can have it. Your "blow as hard as you can with pomposity and chase everyone away who may have even the slightest difference in opinion" attitude has ruined another thread for me. You probably believe you are engaging in a spirited discussion, but the real truth is - what outsiders see your type of behavior as - is that you are an internet bully trying to belittle others and "score points" by showing how "oh so smart" you are. I'm sure it makes you feel warm and tingly about yourself, but it is a drag to me and I will no longer read anything you post.

Have a nice life.

I'm now blocking you from my view and any time I see you quoted in a thread I will exit it immediately.

Enjoy winning everything through exhausting all comers.