What do you think of the M8 running Windows Phone?

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

1408471151423.jpg

What operating system compliments the HTC One more? Android with HTC Sense or Windows Phone?

I've posted this on the Windows Phone forums as well, let's see who comes up with better reasons. :)

Whyareallthegoodnamestaken

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: What OS compliments the HTC One M8 more?

Depends what you mean by compliments. Judging from the photo I'm guessing you mean aesthetics. Windows Phone compliments it more visually because no matter how rubbish it is, it has to be said...it's beautiful.

But I'd still much prefer Android on it any day. I suppose you could mess around with launchers or widgets to make it pretty too.

Posted via the Android Central App

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't think we should see it like that. People that want to try Windows Phone now have a great choice. Android fans have also the same choice, so it's great that the best phone is available on multiple platforms. Everybody should choose according to his needs.
Of course on Android there is more room for customization. On Windows Phone there are not a lot of things HTC can do to differentiate apart from offering its own hub and apps.
I just wish there were an iOS version too, but this will unfortunately never happen. Even better, it would be great people had the choice to download and install the OS of their choice.
We have that choice on PC's and Macs, so why not have it on smartphones too?

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

You need a picture of 8.1 and the transparent tiles with a nice wallpaper showing through.

That's the only way I ran it.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I'd say Android, considering that's what it was originally designed with, as well as past HTC devices (even though they do have Windows devices). It does make a nice looking W8 phone, which IMO was much needed.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, today HTC hosted a nice little press conference to announce something that was of some interest to many people, a re-release of the M8 with Windows Phone on it. Now, unlike a lot of manufacturers who have just reused the same housing, this is an actual direct copy of the HTC M8 that you all love, only running a new OS. This phone with Android on it is, in many people's opinions, the best device out at present winning a staggering number of design awards. With Windows Phone 8, it brings something that is new to us to the market, a device with a reputation that's not only favoring the camera.

On top of that, there's already talks with the introduction of this device, paired with unlockable bootloaders that we will be able to dual-boot OSes, something that hasn't been done practically since the HD2 that was one of the most revered devices of our day. I think that paired with the abilities the dot case has added in launching Cortana from the lock screen and other such features makes for an absolutely profound turn for Windows Phone. With Samsung facing major litigation for not upholding contracts with Microsoft, there's never been a better time for another OEM to make a sizable splash in the market. I think HTC might be the ones to do it.

All this said, I'm not personally excited for the device. Sadly, the subpar camera ran me off from my M8 running android. This paired with the lack of the dedicated camera button eliminated a huge part of my usage for Windows Phone with it's amazing photo and video editing capabilities as the camera was rendered mostly useless. That said, I'm interested in seeing just how well the M8 performs with Windows Phone. I'm also pretty excited to see just how well soft buttons work on the OS as this is the first instance in which they're used. Either way, I feel like this could be a pivotal point for Windows Phone. Not that it's going to steal some massive chunk of market share but I feel this might garner some genuine interest.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I like it. I am now considering the M8 with Windows, the BlackBerry classic and the Moto X+1 as potential devices to buy before this year is out.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Good to see HTC looking into other OSes.
They missed an opportunity to call it the W8 😅

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Good to see HTC looking into other OSes.
They missed an opportunity to call it the W8 😅

I said the same thing but I'm pretty sure the people who name their phones are on drugs. With the m7, m8, one X, one X +, one S and whatever else they come up with, how many ones do you get o_0

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I said the same thing but I'm pretty sure the people who name their phones are on drugs. With the m7, m8, one X, one X +, one S and whatever else they come up with, how many ones do you get o_0

Maybe they think THEY'RE number one?

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I like it. I am now considering the M8 with Windows, the BlackBerry classic and the Moto X+1 as potential devices to buy before this year is out.

I love the M8s form factor, it way too tall for me though. If they made it shorter and slightly thinner, I would be on board. But that height won't work well for me.

I'm confused. Does that mean your whole Huge Phones thread was a farce?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused. Does that mean your whole Huge Phones thread was a farce?

I said consider not buy, I will check them out in person and see if I may be swayed to get them. But I may just get the BlackBerry classic, as I prefer smaller devices. I don't do farces.

Smply_Rcklss

May 21, 2014
Visit site

I like it, I may give it a shot. I've been very interested in giving Windows operating system a run

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I like it, I may give it a shot. I've been very interested in giving Windows operating system a run

Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸

Same here, they just lack hardware availability.

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I said consider not buy, I will check them out in person and see if I may be swayed to get them. But I may just get the BlackBerry classic, as I prefer smaller devices. I don't do farces.

OK. I thought you said any phone above 4.7" was a deal-breaker for you so I wasn't sure why you were now considering the M8 when you weren't before. If you like it, it will certainly solve your size problem.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
OK. I thought you said any phone above 4.7" was a deal-breaker for you so I wasn't sure why you were now considering the M8 when you weren't before. If you like it, it will certainly solve your size problem.

I have always remarked I love the M8, and I still wish it was shorter, mofo is tall. But I do need a new phone and I am weighing options, for me to remark and say I may consider it is not off base. I still have a big phone problem, that is why I said I am considering this, the BlackBerry Classic and the Moto X+1. All 3 are going to be on Verizon and I can choose from there, though I am more slanted towards the BlackBerry Classic because of the smaller form factor.

casaout

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site

Actually, I like it a lot! The OS is now very mature, the apps I need are now available (and more), and the phone looks gorgeous! :)

casaout

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
I think you are right! They were here from the beginning, but never really had a flagship phone on WP8. I think it's great as it gives competition. Competition is always good for us customers :)