Android and Windows Phone and the future

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
First off, I am no longer on Android, today I picked up the LG Lancet from Verizon off contract for $120 because my Droid Razr M was getting real bad on battery life. Secondly, comparing the 2, WP does feel a mile away quicker.

Thirdly, apps aren't a problem there is an app that is literally Google Maps for Windows Phone that uses Google's results, reviews etc for free. Very well made app. And apps like Uber and Netflix are there and decently made as well.

Fourth, the future looks good and Windows Phone is actually good as well. Which leads to me a single point, when my upgrade comes up in December what will I upgrade to? And that is a tricky question. For Android they left the smaller phone segment behind and I don't like any of the current flagships size (including the S6, too tall to grip with one hand).

For Windows Phone, there is no actual say on what Microsoft pulls for hardware by then. But all in all, this is a learning experience. And Windows Phone is definitely way better than I originally thought.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile might eventually get more apps. However, I'm skeptical.

Universal Apps won't appeal, since desktop Windows users have no use for Store apps ; desktop Windows users want x86/x64 programs.

I don't see big companies such as banks embracing Windows 10 Mobile in the near future.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
My wife had a Lumia 1020 for the camera, it was a nice phone and fun to play around with, but the lack of apps was a killer for me (and her) there aren't any banking apps and apps like FB are a struggle to use.

I would love for Windows to get their act together and improve their app store. It's never a bad thing to have too much competition for consumers.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile might eventually get more apps. However, I'm skeptical.

Universal Apps won't appeal, since desktop Windows users have no use for Store apps ; desktop Windows users want x86/x64 programs.

I don't see big companies such as banks embracing Windows 10 Mobile in the near future.

I feel the same way. It sucks personally that bank of America doesn't have an app on Windows Phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
My wife had a Lumia 1020 for the camera, it was a nice phone and fun to play around with, but the lack of apps was a killer for me (and her) there aren't any banking apps and apps like FB are a struggle to use.

I would love for Windows to get their act together and improve their app store. It's never a bad thing to have too much competition for consumers.

It's the devs who don't care about windows phone because I'd the lack of apps. Don't blame them. I managed to get by so far and HERE Maps actually isn't bad on Windows phone. Used it yesterday to navigate through the craziness that is downtown Atlanta. And directions spoke right through Bluetooth in my Ford fusion too.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same way. It sucks personally that bank of America doesn't have an app on Windows Phone.

I got an email from one of my banks yesterday. They never had a Windows Phone app. I did request one several times.

They're updating their Android app.
ddaf3892d83eef516e7290569ebe4e54.jpg

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I got an email from one of my banks yesterday. They never had a Windows Phone app. I did request one several times.

They're updating their Android app.
//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/05/ddaf3892d83eef516e7290569ebe4e54.jpg

With me because I have only a checking account, its not a huge issue. Especially since I always used Mint.com along with my bank app so the loss of the bank app doesn't matter as I can still check my balance and see transactions. The only thing I really lose is mobile deposits which I never used because it never used to work on Android well. It got better with their app redesign but I use direct deposit.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't see windows phone being much of a challenge to Android and iOS in the future. But reports are windows features will be on a lot of Android phone devices in the years to come. This may have to do with all the patent fees the OEM has to pay Windows.

http://www.androidauthority.com/comscore-andriod-top-smartphone-platform-us-52-2-marketshare-614316/

I think one feature that isn't on Android but is on Windows Phone is lock screen weather. With MSN Weather installed and set as my lock screen, it shows the current conditions, how it looks outside and the forecast for today and the next 2 days:

146.jpg

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
My Moto X shows the temperature on the screen when the device is locked and sleeping.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
It's the devs who don't care about windows phone because I'd the lack of apps. Don't blame them. I managed to get by so far and HERE Maps actually isn't bad on Windows phone. Used it yesterday to navigate through the craziness that is downtown Atlanta. And directions spoke right through Bluetooth in my Ford fusion too.

Do you find HERE maps better than Google maps? I don't use maps that often as my works commute is very simple, but I wanted to give HERE a go for the hell of it :)

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I think one feature that isn't on Android but is on Windows Phone is lock screen weather. With MSN Weather installed and set as my lock screen, it shows the current conditions, how it looks outside and the forecast for today and the next 2 days:

View attachment 180104

Is the above shot taken from a windows phone or android?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Do you find HERE maps better than Google maps? I don't use maps that often as my works commute is very simple, but I wanted to give HERE a go for the hell of it :)

It's okay. It failed to reroute me around a closed off bridge, but once I took another turn it gave me another way.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is what I have been loving about Windows Phone. Battery life is excellent. I have never killed this phone in a day yet. I don't think I can.

149.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae