Poco M4 Pro 4G poor light sensor performance in lower ambient light

syl_vestrini

Jan 11, 2023
Visit site
Noticed my new Poco M4 Pro 4G tends to dim the screen way too much in low lit environments and checked the light sensor readings. If facing light directly, it performs spot on. However, when the light sensor is facing the opposite way of the light source, it often reads 0 lux and consequently dims the screen almost all the way down. When I turn the screen towards the light source, it is working fine. But looks like it doesn't like all angles and sometimes slightly tilting it away from light makes the lux go down to 0 again.
Comparing to a Redmi Note 10 Pro and my old Redmi Note 5, the Poco's light sensor performance in lower ambient light is very poor to say the least.
This issue happens only in low to moderate light conditions, mainly indoors. Outside and in well lit environments, like shopping centers, etc. it is fine.
Does this look like a faulty sensor, or software settings artificially making it show lower readings for power saving purposes?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
If you just got the device probably learning your environment , it has adaptive brightness?
Like my pixels are not as accurate as my Samsung in different lighting environments but you do have to teach it by that meaning if your in less light adjust the brightness bar to where you like it that way next your in that lighting it tries to adjust to what u set it at

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
It's probably as mustang7757 says, but could it be the brightness slider with the Automatic brightness switched on? I have a Poco F2 for 2 years, also an Amoled display, and I had mine set to brighter than midway.

Also there is a proximity sensor test among others hidden in About Phone - All Specs - Kernel Version + tap several times.

On GSMArena's specifications page there is no Proximity sensor listed under Sensors. It nay be an error or it may ve a device that uses the front camera or other means (I forget) to act as a less accurate proximity sensor.

Last edited:

syl_vestrini

Jan 11, 2023
Visit site
I thought of trying to teach the adaptive brightness. It's just I have a feeling it is either: 1) hardware issue or 2) someone from another forum mentioned they got rid of a similar issue by waiting for an update, which worked. Thing is I am running the latest version for Europe. Might have to downgrade to android 11 version with a more recent firmware.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I thought of trying to teach the adaptive brightness. It's just I have a feeling it is either: 1) hardware issue or 2) someone from another forum mentioned they got rid of a similar issue by waiting for an update, which worked. Thing is I am running the latest version for Europe. Might have to downgrade to android 11 version with a more recent firmware.
I would try teaching it see the results , Madd62 has Poco phone can assist more

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Do what Mustang says and train it. I hated adaptive brightness before I learned it could be trained as it always made my phone too dim in low light. It isn't defective hardware, because it is working... it detects lots of light and raises the brightness, it detects low light and reduces the brightness.

syl_vestrini

Jan 11, 2023
Visit site
Thanks all for responding in this thread. I've trained it and it's better but sadly not a solution to the problem. The light sensor still ignores low light and acts as if it is complete darkness.