We all know that the Snapdragon 810 has a pretty troubled reputation. It is known to overheat and manufacturers like LG and HTC have to add in some pretty serious throttling in order to keep temperatures under limit, at the cost of raw performance.

When I saw that the Mi Note Pro ran the SD810, I was initially excited. Then, when the overheating and performance dip reports came in, I was worried. Apparently, the overheating issue caused Xiaomi to delay it. Now that it's launched, seems like they managed to solve the 810's Achilles' Heel.

Reserved on the Mi Note Pro due to the toasty Snapdragon 810? Check this out...-xiaomi-mi-note-pro-thermal.jpg

According to Xiaomi, they had to engineer a new cooling system specifically for the Note Pro that, quoting Lei Jun (Xiaomi's CEO), "is achieved with a more efficient heat dissipation system, developed specifically for the Mi Note Pro. The smartphone packs four graphite cooling fins, one of them being double-layered." Net result is that the phone reached a peak of 36.3 degrees Celsius (surface temperature).

Reserved on the Mi Note Pro due to the toasty Snapdragon 810? Check this out...-11188180_10152701804416612_789401382856301405_n.jpg

Above is what Hugo Barra posted on his Facebook page. The Mi Note Pro, with its thermal upgrades, achieved a score of 63,424 on Antutu. That's higher than the LG G Flex 2 and HTC One M9, both of which run the same SoC, and it's not terribly far behind from the current champ, the Samsung Galaxy S6, with it's Exynos 7420 flexing it's beastly core muscle for an Antutu score of 69k. I'm still somewhat reserved on the results, though. Let's wait until some consumer units roll in so we can test it under 'normal' conditions.

Overall, it seems that Xiaomi has (finally?) fixed the heating issues of the Snapdragon 810 without resorting to performance-sapping throttling, unless it has to be done.

Your thoughts?
    05-06-2015 11:55 PM
    We all know that the Snapdragon 810 has a pretty troubled reputation. It is known to overheat and manufacturers like LG and HTC have to add in some pretty serious throttling in order to keep temperatures under limit, at the cost of raw performance.

When I saw that the Mi Note Pro ran the SD810, I was initially excited. Then, when the overheating and performance dip reports came in, I was worried. Apparently, the overheating issue caused Xiaomi to delay it. Now that it's launched, seems like they managed to solve the 810's Achilles' Heel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xiaomi-Mi-Note-Pro-thermal.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	175553

According to Xiaomi, they had to engineer a new cooling system specifically for the Note Pro that, quoting Lei Jun (Xiaomi's CEO), "is achieved with a more efficient heat dissipation system, developed specifically for the Mi Note Pro. The smartphone packs four graphite cooling fins, one of them being double-layered." Net result is that the phone reached a peak of 36.3 degrees Celsius (surface temperature).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11188180_10152701804416612_789401382856301405_n.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	175554

Above is what Hugo Barra posted on his Facebook page. The Mi Note Pro, with its thermal upgrades, achieved a score of 63,424 on Antutu. That's higher than the LG G Flex 2 and HTC One M9, both of which run the same SoC, and it's not terribly far behind from the current champ, the Samsung Galaxy S6, with it's Exynos 7420 flexing it's beastly core muscle for an Antutu score of 69k. I'm still somewhat reserved on the results, though. Let's wait until some consumer units roll in so we can test it under 'normal' conditions.

Overall, it seems that Xiaomi has (finally?) fixed the heating issues of the Snapdragon 810 without resorting to performance-sapping throttling, unless it has to be done.

Your thoughts?
    I've got one and I'm really happy with it!! LOL! - it DOES get warm when used hard... but not hot.. and the performance is never really throttled!!.. i've yet to see it lag like I have other phones... overall a great bit of kit with top hardware and great build quality! - love MIUI as well!!!
    07-10-2015 06:46 PM
    Hello Pal,

Hows your MI Note PRO Performing, Has it improved over the MIUI Updates or redcuced in capacity, Hows its Battery faring after the updates,

Regards,

Nibin
    01-22-2016 05:57 AM