How do I start the Google Keyboard on a Redmi Note 2?

jonclem

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a Redmi Note 2 with android 5. It shows google keyboard in "installed apps" but there is no "settings" to be seen in the app. There is no microphone icon in browser search or text input field. Any idea how to operate this for voice input?
Many thanks,
John

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Language & Input, and tap the Google Keyboard listing there, then Preferences, and turn on the Voice Input Key.

jonclem

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi Bo Diddy,
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.
I had tried what you suggested but in "preferences" all the options were switched ON, (Auto-capitalisation,Double space full stop, Vibrate on keypress, Sound on key press and Voice input key). But there is no microphone icon anywhere to be seen, (I see it on my tablet in the "google search" box and in the text input box when I write a text). I was goint to uninstall and then reinstall but the only option was uninstall updates.
As said, the phone is an Xiaomi Note 2, android 5.0.2, MIUI 7, Octa-core 2.2 with 2Gb RAM. It was shipped wit google keyboard installed, (but NOT working!!)
I would be very grateful if someone could suggest another thing to try.
Many thanks,
John.

jonclem

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi B Diddy,
I now have the microphone icon when the keyboard comes up but touching it does not bring up the "speak now" invitation. There is a barely peceivable vibration when I touch the icon but nothing else.
I will try to attach a couple of screen shots. This is such a great list, I didn't know it was possible to take a screen shot previously!! Thanks so much for the advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2016-03-18-22-08-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-03-18-22-08-14.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is the phone fully compatible with Google Services? Did it come with the Google Play Store preinstalled? Phones intended for the Chinese market often aren't certified for Google Play, which means Google Play Services may not be installed--and this, in turn, might prevent Google Keyboard from working fully.

Can you try installing another keyboard, like Swiftkey, Swype, or Fleksy, and see if you can do voice input that way?

jonclem

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi B Diddy,, Yes the phone did come with google play and I am pretty sure that google keyboard was also installed. I was going to try to uninstall G.keyboard and either re-install it or another app like you suggested but I could not find how to uninstall it - the only option I could find was to "uninstall updates" and I wondered if this might cause a conflict if I installed another similar app. There was a "force stop" option but it gave me a warning, ( being a rookie I did not want to take a chance on the force stop in case it created problems).
I really do appreciate you taking time to help and when I asked the question I thought there would be a simple answer, I certainly don't expect guys to wast time on this, I will try the things you suggest and if that doesn't work it is no big issue - and at least, I have now learned how to take a screen shot and post it!
Once again, many thanks for your help.
John.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It probably won't let you uninstall Google Keyboard completely because it's a preinstalled app. You can still install a 3rd party keyboard app and set it as a default. You could probably also Disable Google Keyboard in that Settings>Apps menu as well, if you wanted to prevent Google Keyboard from working.

jonclem

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Hello again,
I tried to install Swype, Swiftkey and Speak to Text, although showing the microphone icon, non worked - Speak to Text came up with the message "Sorry, your device doesn't support speech input".
Not sure if it might be because these phons were intended originally for the Chinese market.
It looks like this can't be fixed so anyway thanks for your help, it was very kind of you to go out of your way to help. I hope some day that I will gain enough knowledge to help other beginners.
John.

Attachments

• Screenshot_Spech to Text.jpg
    Screenshot_Spech to Text.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1

houdan

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site
Hi B Diddy

I have Gboard in installed apps.

Can't locate it anywhere else, including any of the home screen pages.

My Other/All Apps has vanished from the Home Screen.

Below, please see screenshot of attached Settings> Language & Input >

Gboard.png

I can't click there, cos it's greyed/blued out.

So, where can I configure its settings?

Many thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If you tap that right-pointing arrow next to the Gboard listing, does anything come up?

Also, when your Gboard is open, long-press the comma. You should see a gear icon appear, which is for the Settings menu.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey