Why MIUI shows fake free RAM/ Memory ?

May 23, 2019
Visit site
Redmi Note 7 Pro is My first Xiomi phone.
I got the 6gb ram 126gb variant.

When I see the memory status via the usual recent key it says 3.8gb free off 6gb. Fine!

Until I installed some tools like hardware info etc which actually says 2.6gb free of 5.6gb. :(

I do agree that out of 6gb, 400-500mb is reserved for system purpose which leaves 5.5gb for user availability.
I also checked the same via ADB command such as cat /proc/meminfo and it shows same 2.6gb free.

Why does MIUI fakes RAM values especially the free memory which it fakes and shows exceeding by almost 900mb to a whooping 1gb??
Where practically it should had shown the True values: 2.6 gb free of 6 gb. Isn't it?

Surprisingly, unlike other phones there is no alternative way in the Setting menu to check memory aspects except for the internal storage which is quiet strange.

Also, I wonder out of 5.5gb how can I only get around 2.5gb of free ram?? Does MIUI really needs 3gb of ram just to operate it OS?

If this is the case with 6gb variant I wonder how bad it could be with just a 4gb variant?
4gb variant must be having only some MBs of free ram then.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The discrepancy probably has to do with the different apps using different methods (binary vs decimal) to display the storage figures -- see this article: https://www.fastwebhost.in/blog/how-many-mb-1-gb-all-about-mb-gb-tb/

Here's a clear picture of what I'm talking about.

Now hope you got it now.

First pic shows how much free memory MIUI shows while second pic shows free memory on Other apps which actually displays the REAL actual free memory.

This is how miui fakes ram value.

1.jpg

2.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I remember when I used 3rd party utilities like that in the past, the free RAM would seem smaller consistently -- I always thought that it was the utility app itself that was using a lot of RAM. Are you sure that isn't the case for you?

May 23, 2019
Visit site
Well I have already mentioned it.

Have checked the same via ADB command such as cat /proc/meminfo and it shows 2.1 gb free.

Now adb shell commands aren't any utilities right??

Also, amu 3rd party tools or utilities arent as heavy as like a pubg or asphalt to eat 1gb of ram and display them remaining as actual free system ram.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I should've taken the ADB thing into account. I'm not really sure why there's a discrepancy. It might be worth contacting Xiaomi support, but I'm not sure how responsive they are.