[GUIDE] Unlocking (& re-locking) the Motorola Xoom

bum99my

May 7, 2011
Visit site
hello everyone!

first time android user here. i am interested in doing this (unlocking) but i have some quick questions.

after unlocking the xoom, does the home screen and icons remain the same as stock or will it be replaced by something else?

as this is my very first android device, i am a bit apprehensive as i might (most probably will!) screw it up somehow.

thanks to everyone for their patience and answers.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
hello everyone!

first time android user here. i am interested in doing this (unlocking) but i have some quick questions.

after unlocking the xoom, does the home screen and icons remain the same as stock or will it be replaced by something else?

as this is my very first android device, i am a bit apprehensive as i might (most probably will!) screw it up somehow.

thanks to everyone for their patience and answers.

Rooting the Xoom resets it back to factory but with super user access. Nothing on the interface changes unless you change it after you root.

Check out the sticky guide with screen shots, its not that crazy of a process. If you run in to a problem just post it and ill help you out.

Welcome to android and android central!

bum99my

May 7, 2011
Visit site
thefredelement,

thank you for your reply. i managed to do the unlocking as instructed. i then tried to the rooting as per section 3 in

http://forum.androidcentral.com/xoo...cking-rooting-returning-stock.html#post716856

however, i encountered the following problems

1) my xoom now is stuck in the motorola logo.
2) my computer does not recognose the device anymore
3) no response on the hard reset.
4) it will not switch off if i press the power button.

btw, mine is the wifi only model

any help is very much appreciated :(

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
thefredelement,

thank you for your reply. i managed to do the unlocking as instructed. i then tried to the rooting as per section 3 in

http://forum.androidcentral.com/xoo...cking-rooting-returning-stock.html#post716856

however, i encountered the following problems

1) my xoom now is stuck in the motorola logo.
2) my computer does not recognose the device anymore
3) no response on the hard reset.
4) it will not switch off if i press the power button.

btw, mine is the wifi only model

any help is very much appreciated :(

You're not the first one to do this, you just have to restore your wifi only software and use the wifi root method.

MOTODEV > Products > Device Software

To get back to the bootloader press volume up and power until the xoom resets. Then at the red m logo press volume down and the xoom will toggle through a few selections on the upper left, when it says fastboot hit volume up to enter and then follow the directions on that page.

bum99my

May 7, 2011
Visit site
@thefredelement,

managed to get it up and running to stock and unlocked it again.....phew! two days with this thing and i thought i gone and killed it!! :)

thanks thefredelement for the help and instructions. you really really made my day.

thanks again! :)

fabriciofracchia

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys:

I'm planning to buy a Xoom 3G WiFi Verizon model, the thing is like this:

I'm not from the US but at this moment I'm here by work, I want to buy the 3G tablet and take it to my country, the method described here can help me to remove the Verizon lock an use the tablet with my country service provider?. Any help will be useful. ;)

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers.

obsolete57

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
:-\ saw the link for device software from motodev. they didnt have one for mz505? also when i installed sdk, it advise me to go through the installation process since im a first time user. so i did that then installed eclipse classic as it suggested? follow by adt? eclipse installed i realized it was a zip file, not opening as a program. also installed motodev usb too. but the sdk process was a little confusing. i appreciate any advice thanks

jasonindfw

May 23, 2012
Visit site
How do you root a Xoom running 3.2? The link seems to be for 3.0. I am not really looking for a custom ROM.

My end goal is to be able to access a USB storage device from my Xoom, but I am under the impression this requires root access, so here I am :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech