[GUIDE][VZW Version] Drivers, SDK, Unlocking, Rooting & Returning to Stock

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
First, This thread wouldn't be possible without @Koush | My Brain Hurts - Koush develops such great things like, ClockworkMod recovery and Rom Manager, if you want to support him, buy his apps!

This thread & posts are for the Verizon branded Motorola Xoom and points to software images for that model! -- (Hint: WIFI only users - LOOK AWAY!)

This guide will help you: install the Motorola Xoom USB drivers, install fastboot & adb from the Android 3.0 SDK, Unlock your Motorola Xoom for flashing and finally root your Motorola Xoom. There's also a "back to stock" mini-guide.

It's a lot less complicated than it sounds and the entire process should take around 15 - 30 minutes (not counting downloading files).

WARNING: THIS PROCESS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY, THIS WILL ALSO ERASE ALL OF THE DATA ON YOUR XOOM

If you're not quite sure what the process involves you should thoroughly read over each section, as well check out the FAQ, also - it's cool to ask questions.

Section 1: Motorola USB Drivers & Android SDK Files (this will setup your computer to talk to your Xoom)

Section 2: Unlocking the Motorola Xoom (screen shots included)

Section 3: Rooting the Motorola Xoom & Installing BusyBox (screen shots included)

Section 4: Returning your Xoom to stock software status with the latest OTA update

Section 5: FAQs

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Drivers & SDK
-------------

Drivers:

If your'e on a Windows PC, you're going to need some USB drivers so your computer can talk to the Xoom in it's different operating modes (fastboot, rsd, and USB debugging).

You can get these drivers here:

For 32bit versions of Windows: MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers > Handset USB Driver for Windows (32-bit)

For 64bit versions of Windows: MOTODEV > Documentation & Tools > USB Drivers > Handset USB Driver for Windows (64-bit)

*Note: Mac OS X & Linux don't require USB drivers.

SDK:

(If you already have the Android SDK installed with tools & platform tools you can skip this next section)

If you want to download the Android SDK, you can do so here: Android SDK | Android Developers

If you don't plan on developing software and just want the few files needed for unlocking and rooting I have attached them to this post as sdktools.zip. Just download this and unzip it. You will have an sdktools folder that contains just fastboot, adb and AdbWinApi.dll.

Last edited:
Reactions: moosc and sdjeep

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking the Motorola Xoom
----------------------------

1. Connect your Xoom to your PC

2. Open a command window in the sdktools folder (or in your sdk folder where adb & fastboot reside)

3. Enable USB debugging on your Xoom (settings > applications > development > USB Debugging)
enable-usb-debugging.jpg

4. In your command prompt, enter:
adb reboot bootloader
and hit enter.
adb-reboot-bootloader.png

Your Xoom will reboot in to the bootloader. It will stay at the screen with the red Motorola logo, in the upper left the text "Starting Fastboot protocol support" will be displayed.
xoom-fastboot-text.jpg

5. In the command prompt enter:

fastboot oem unlock
and hit enter.
fastboot-oem-unlock.jpg

Your Xoom will display a notice on the screen, it basically says you are removing your device's security as well as voiding it's warranty. To continue..

6. Press the Volume Down key to change the selection from Cancel to I accept

7. Press the Volume Up key to confirm & repeat in the next on screen confirmation prompt.
xoom-warning.jpg

Your Xoom will unlock, erase all user data and reboot.

Your Xoom is now unlocked and can accept custom software flashes on any of it's partitions!

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Rooting the Motorola Xoom
--------------------------
(Thanks to Koush for this, show him some support by buying his apps in the Android Market, source: http://www.koushikdutta.com/2011/02/motorola-xoom-rooted.html & http://www.koushikdutta.com/2011/03/manually-updating-your-rooted-xoom.html)

(This should work for any version, if you're on the earlier version and want to apply the update while rooted, instructions are below)

1. Enable USB debugging on your Xoom (settings > applications > development > USB Debugging)
enable-usb-debugging.jpg

2. Download the root files provided by Koush: http://www.mediafire.com/file/kouududmb6ufq00/xoomroot.zip

3. Extract the zip file and put the three files (rootboot.img, su, and superuser.apk) in to your sdktools folder

4. Reboot to the boot loader. From your command prompt:

adb reboot bootloader

5. Flash the rooted boot image. From your command prompt:

fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
and hit enter

6. From your command prompt:

fastboot reboot
and hit enter
fastboot-flash-reboot.jpg

Wait for the Xoom to reboot to the lock screen.

7. In the command window: (hit enter after each line)

adb remount
adb push su /system/bin/
adb shell
ln –s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
exit
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
cmdprmpt-xoom-root-push.png

Your Xoom is now rooted.

Optional:

Install Busybox from the market - It has now been updated to properly report it's installation in honeycomb. (market link: https://market.android.com/details?id=stericson.busybox&feature=search_result) ***This is a REALLY good idea and takes less than a minute and has no bad side effects***

Last edited:

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Return to Stock (HRI39)
-------------------

1. Download the source Motorola files here: http://developer.motorola.com/produ...utm_source=supportforums&utm_term=unlockboard (a free membership may be required)

2. Extract the zip file so you have: boot.img, system.img, recovery.img, userdata.img and place these files in to the same folder as fastboot (either in the SDK or from the zip attached to the first post).

3. Reboot your Xoom in to the bootloader.

Power off your Xoom, once it's off, power it on by simultaneously pressing the volume down and power button, keep your fingers pressed until the Xoom says it's starting fastboot protocol support.

4. Open a command prompt in the folder with fastboot and the Motorola image files.

5. Enter these commands

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot oem lock

Your Xoom has now been restored to factory software and the bootloader has been locked.

Last edited:

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow great stuff. Wish I had seen this thread a couple days ago! I had the hardest time installing the SDK and you provide only the necessary files, which is much easier than installing the entire thing, especially since I wont be developing.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow great stuff. Wish I had seen this thread a couple days ago! I had the hardest time installing the SDK and you provide only the necessary files, which is much easier than installing the entire thing, especially since I wont be developing.

Yeah, that is a PITA, especially with the jdk.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that is a PITA, especially with the jdk.

Yup! For some reason the SDK install would never properly install the adb.exe. The only way to fix it that I saw was to reinstall. But each time I reinstalled the sdk it said the jdk wasn't installed, so I had to reinstall that.

Very annoying but eventually got it. Now I have several hundred Mgbs of crap I wont use other than pushing files once in awhile. Oh well.

That sdktools.zip. Golden. Thank you.

Last edited:

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
So let me get this right, this will not work for the Wifi-only version, correct?

I interpret, "Look away" as do not look further as this does not pertain to you rather than: "Look away" until your heart's content!

:)

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
lol thanks but this is def. not for the faint of hart lol wish there was one click root option like what we have for the epic lol i will try this later wish me luck...

Edit: Is there a root made just for the wifi version? I just want to root i dot want a custome rom or anything...

rrainz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Xoom maybe lost!

I need your help, I rooted my WFI xoom and wanted to go back to stock unroot. In my attempt to unroot I cleared the cache. Now my pc doesn't recognize my xoom. I can manually boot into it into the fastboot protocol but above that it shows the following:
Failed image LNX oxooo2
Starting fastboot protocol support.
This is as far as I can get with it. Is there any hope for it? Thanks for any help.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I need your help, I rooted my WFI xoom and wanted to go back to stock unroot. In my attempt to unroot I cleared the cache. Now my pc doesn't recognize my xoom. I can manually boot into it into the fastboot protocol but above that it shows the following:
Failed image LNX oxooo2
Starting fastboot protocol support.
This is as far as I can get with it. Is there any hope for it? Thanks for any help.

Your Xoom will be fine. Do you have the Motorola drivers and Android SDK installed?

If yes, go here and get the stock files for the wifi version: MOTODEV > Products > Device Software

Just follow the fastboot instructions on that page and you will be back at square 1.

rrainz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Your Xoom will be fine. Do you have the Motorola drivers and Android SDK installed?

If yes, go here and get the stock files for the wifi version: MOTODEV > Products > Device Software

Just follow the fastboot instructions on that page and you will be back at square 1.
I appreciate the response I had to work all night so I'm just now getting to try this again. I continue to get the same message in my original post. My pc isn't seeing the xoom and no matter what I do it's not picking it up. I have uninstalled all software including drivers and started from scratch like you mentioned but it doesn't work. The xoom itself want turn off but will boot into the fastboot protocol with the error message above it. Failed image LNX oxooo2.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I appreciate the response I had to work all night so I'm just now getting to try this again. I continue to get the same message in my original post. My pc isn't seeing the xoom and no matter what I do it's not picking it up. I have uninstalled all software including drivers and started from scratch like you mentioned but it doesn't work. The xoom itself want turn off but will boot into the fastboot protocol with the error message above it. Failed image LNX oxooo2.

What happens if you press volume up and power at the same time?

rrainz

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
When I press volume up and power I get the following:
Failed image LNX oxooo2
Starting RSD mode 2
When I press volume down and power I get the following:
Failed image LNX oxooo2
Starting Fastboot Protocol Support
Nothing I have been able to do so far allows the pc to see the xoom.