how does overclocking help real world performance?

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the benchmark scores like quadrant and linpack and they are impressive. But I am more interested in real world improvements. For example, do webpages load faster? Is the random keyboad lag any better?

It would be great if someone filmed a before and after of various tasks or better yet a stock and overclocked xoom side by side.

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Irooted my Xoom and installed the Tiamat (1.1.6 rev) overclock kernel over the weekend, I also installed Set CPU. I have been using it now for most of the week and can honestly say that "real world performance" is impressive.

First, contrary to what I feared, I have seen a vast improvement in stability. Prior to the installation I was having revolts at least once a day. If I veiw video it was more often. I have not rebooted since and I have played movies and web video extensively. Video performance is much smoother and does not cause browser crashes.

Web access is much more responsive as well, with both the stock browse and Dolphin Browser.

Another bonus is that I get better battery life as well since Set CPU profiles automatically adjust the clock based on ussage.

Overall, I have to say I am impressed.

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Irooted my Xoom and installed the Tiamat (1.1.6 rev) overclock kernel over the weekend, I also installed Set CPU. I have been using it now for most of the week and can honestly say that "real world performance" is impressive.

First, contrary to what I feared, I have seen a vast improvement in stability. Prior to the installation I was having revolts at least once a day. If I veiw video it was more often. I have not rebooted since and I have played movies and web video extensively. Video performance is much smoother and does not cause browser crashes.

Web access is much more responsive as well, with both the stock browse and Dolphin Browser.

Another bonus is that I get better battery life as well since Set CPU profiles automatically adjust the clock based on ussage.

Wow that sounds almost too good to be true. What are you overclocked to? 1.5Ghz? I assume that when you rooted and did all that, that you lost all the data on the Xoom?

I don't mind losing data initially, but my fear is that every time Google/Motorola release a patch, that we will have to wipe and reload in order to get the patch, thus losing our data again. Is that the case?

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It did wipe my Xoom when I unlocked and rooted, but not when I installed the Tiamat kernel. I used ES File Explorer to wirelessly transfer all of my data to my desktop computer before doing the root. Once I logged back into Android Market and Amazon Appstore they both restored my paid programs. On Android Market I had to restore the free ones myself. All of the setup data was copied back to the Xoom by me using ES File Explorer again and everything worked great.

I also worry about the Honey comb updates and the 4g update. I started to wait, but just couldn't control myself:D

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Well my Xoom has done this weird thing the past two times, where I push the power button to unlock it and nothing happens. I press it several times, and eventually I give up and press the volume up key and power button to hard cycle it. so I guess that is a good excuse to root it and wipe the system. :)

Thanks for the tip on ES file Explorer, I will check that out. Also FYI I believe if you setup Appbrain it will allow you to easily re-download your free apps.

Holsum

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Well my Xoom has done this weird thing the past two times, where I push the power button to unlock it and nothing happens. I press it several times, and eventually I give up and press the volume up key and power button to hard cycle it. so I guess that is a good excuse to root it and wipe the system. :)

Thanks for the tip on ES file Explorer, I will check that out. Also FYI I believe if you setup Appbrain it will allow you to easily re-download your free apps.

Yes app brain is really good for this and also once you root you can download titanium backup with will backup everything so that when you go to update those patches you can restore everything in once click. granted the patch that you are installing has been updated for root as well. Which should only take a short time with these great communities ;)

hellboy2232

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site

I have the same set up as you. Which governor r u using?

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
OK so I rooted and installed setcpu, and set to 1.5ghz. Which scaling do I want? Any other settings I should change?

REHolt218

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I am using Set CPU. I haven't played with the scaling too much. i used the default settings for the most part. I set up the profiles so that the processor would scale back when the screen was off and under low load. Most of the profiles are set up for "On demand". it all seems to work pretty well.

EvoXOhio

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been playing around with it a bunch. I have it set to scale back significantly when the screen is off, and another to scale back if the temperature gets too hot. For scaling, I left it as interactive. I tried conservative but it made the Xoom too slow. Performance is nice but it stays at the max cpu the entire time, which undoubtedly kills your battery. Interactive seems like a nice middle ground.

strudel#AC

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I have only been overclocked for about a day but the difference from the stock 1 ghz is pretty dramatic. Loading websites with plenty of flash content used to be a painful process but now I don't really notice a performance hit when loading sites with flash-heavy content.

Everything seems zippier, moving between home screens, opening apps, loading web pages and so on. My Xoom does seem to run more stable also, but that could be that it was wiped of everything less then 24 hours ago.

Using the one-click root/unroot app from xda made the process practically foolproof which was an added bonus

Overclocking has been well worth it to me, but YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22