[KERNEL - AOSP][HC3.1][UPDATE 6/2]Tiamat Xoom 1.4.4 "Full Throttle Baby @1.7Ghz"

ClydeB1

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
New Kernel released: - Updated for HC3.1
Thanks to BRD @xda for these amazing kernels.

If you're updating from 1.4.2 or 1.4.3 and have already flashed an appropriate boot image, you can just flash the new kernel. If you're coming from an earlier version you need to follow the full installation requirements below.

Instruction for flashing Tiamat Xoom Kernel And Boot Image Packs
NOTE: These instruction assume you have flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and upgraded to Honeycomb 3.1!

Preparation
1. Download the kernel
2. Download your Boot Image of choice for your Xoom model (only if not updating from v1.4.2+)

Kernel Download:
Version 1.4.4 "Full Throttle Baby!"
NB! Choice of 2 versions, both with CPU OC @1.7Ghz, but one has GPU OC and the other not.

Boot images for your Xoom model (optional if upgrading from 1.4.2+)
* Verizon 3G Only
Charging light on when device is on
MD5SUM: c96a3b1941b9055c3f062ef8d37f8db9
Charging light off when device is on (stock behavior)
MD5SUM: cf16de47b473e8804967e61b13c68343
* WIFI Only
Charging light on when device is on
MD5SUM: fb27af9e9351458b7dfac45b9a1d8b0c
Charging light off when device is on (stock behavior)
MD5SUM: fb27af9e9351458b7dfac45b9a1d8b0c

How to Install
Tiamat Xoom Kernel Boot Images For Honeycomb 3.1 ONLY
Be sure to flash your boot image first! Then flash your kernel
(see detailed instructions below). You can flash the boot image and kernel back-to-back in the same recovery session. Don't worry. If you mess up and flash just these boot images, your device will still boot.

Instruction for flashing Tiamat Xoom

NOTE: These instruction assume you have flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and have updated to HC3.1
1. Reboot into recovery.
2. Go into "mounts and storage"
3. Select "mount USB storage"
4. Your SD Card will now be mounted on your computer. Drop the kernel (and boot image pack if applicable) onto SD Card.
5. "Go Back" then go into "install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard"
6. If you are flashing a boot image pack, flash it first. Then flash the kernel zip.
7. Back out to main menu and reboot.

Release Notes for 1.4.4 from BRD:
1.7Ghz is likely as far as we can push the Tegra2 cores. We have stress tested the heck out of 1.7 and it is safe. However, safe does not mean stable. BRD can run 1.7 on Interactive governor all day and it's smooth as butter. Other folks get reboots. If you can not run at 1.7, try 1.6. Everybody who tested was able to run at 1.504 without any problems. Just because this release is clocked to 1.7, that does not mean you can not run at stock speeds. Simply do not overclock. The settings for 1Ghz are identical to stock settings. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you leave your device on INTERACTIVE. You may use Performance solely for benchmarking purposes, but then PUT IT BACK.

USB Tether: Plug OTG cable into Xoom. Plug phone with microUSB cable into OTG cable. On phone, enable USB Tether. On Xoom, run the following in terminal or script manager (Scripter, GScript, Tasker) of your choice.
Code:
dhcpcd usb1
setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

The Xoom will not show any indication that there is a network connection. But pull up your browser and surf away. Like I said earlier, I tested this personally on the Evo with a Sense rom. It works perfect. However, there are countless devices out there. Your experience may vary.

Changelog:
Code:
[B]Version 1.4.4[/B]
Introducing 1.7Ghz Overclock!
- All frequency steps built in. 1.2, 1.408, 1.504, 1.6, and 1.7!
- Two versions. Overclocked GPU and Stock GPU [request filled]
- USB Tether work for real now! I tested by BRD on his Evo running Konikub's Evo Elite III Sense Froyo Rom. See below for script.
- Added Realtek 8150 USB Ethernet Dongle Module [request filled]
- Usb Mass Storage now stock in build. Visit [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1068999"]Mass Storage Tool Thread[/URL] by dinomight for implementation. (thanks Kcrudup for turning on lun0 for us ;D )
- [COLOR="Red"]Please see important release notes for this build[/COLOR].

[SIZE="1"][B]Version 1.4.3[/B]
- Fixed second core scaling wake issue.
- Only need a single build now as scaling works the way it should
- Brought back 2.6.36.4 (thanks Cybertronicz for digging it up)
- Autogroup Scheduler brought back (by Cybertronicz from .38 tree)
- Now using SLUB allocator
- Eliminated even more debug bloat
- HFS and HFSPlus file system modules for Mac users [request filled]
- Usb Mass Storage now stock in build. Visit [URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1068999"]Mass Storage Tool Thread[/URL] by dinomight for implementation.

[B]Version 1.4.2[/B]
Two builds! Overclocked to 1.6Ghz and 1.4Ghz. If you had stability issues with 1.5Ghz, choose the 1.4Ghz. If 1.5Ghz ran fine for you, grab the 1.6Ghz.
    - Just for now, kernel version had to drop to 2.6.36.3 from 2.6.36.4
    - All the popular file system and network mount modules including:
        * CIFS for windows network mounts
        * NFS and XFS
        * TUN with full ipv6 support!
        * AUFS for dual mount and other uses
        * NTFS for mounting ntfs partitions
        * nls_utf8.ko for foreing language network mounts
        * And much more!
    - Implemented USB Ethernet for USB Tether from phone to Xoom!
    - Extreme debug bloat removal and massive kernel optimization
    - Linpack 69 and Quadrant 4800! (on 1.6Ghz Performance governor)

[B]Version 1.4.1[/B]
- Mass Storage has been removed do to stability issues. Your SD Card still works just fine without it!
- More updates from Google AOSP.
- Please visit Tiamat Xoom Kernel Github Repo for commit history.[/SIZE]

Older Kernel Downloads:
Archive can be found at BigRushMods

Last edited:

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Thanks for passing along. I wonder if this can be used in conjunction with the USB hack.

From what I gathered the Asus solution is not ideal, but at this point I'll take it!

ClydeB1

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. We'll have to wait and see the Change Log for the new kernel. Hopefully it still includes the Roebeet USB host hack as well.

Edit: Confirmed the Roebeet USB Hosting hack is included in the kernel and still works.

Last edited:

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Awesomeness! I have had bad luck with the Tiamat kernal but I have a bit of free time to test her out. Unfortunately my problems were random reboots about every 6 hours of use. So it can take awhile to get the reboots. Hopefully this is fixed.

Edit: Took me 13 minutes to get to the website, download and replace the files, do the adb commands and I lost no data! Back up and will give it a couple days to see if the reboot issue for me was solved. Props to the guys at XDA.

Edit 2: SD card works great as does micro USB and Overclock! My charging light now comes on when plugged in and on. Before it only came on when the device was off.

Last edited:

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And although there were some quirks with Jrummy OC app I finally got it working.

The ondemand governer is broke. Lag and horrible browser until I switched to interactive. Much better result and a huge increase in quadrant and a little in linpack.

Edit: Got a reboot at 1504 ghz. Dropped it to 1400 and seems actually faster. I'll give it another 48 hours but it better not reboot again. I wish quickclock supported Xoom.

Last edited:

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help with loading this on? When I did the unlock bootloader and root it was all with the one click version. how and where do I put these commands in cause I really wanna learn how to root and install custom roms.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: Beezzy

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on wifi (I just tether) so I can't use this kernal on my version?

And I just looked at my kernal version atpnd its the tiamat 1.6.1 version so should that help?

Last edited:

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help with loading this on? When I did the unlock bootloader and root it was all with the one click version. how and where do I put these commands in cause I really wanna learn how to root and install custom roms.

Download the Kernel zip and unzip. Now take all of those files individually and place into your ADB tools folder. Open up a command prompt and enter adb, once you've done this:

1. Reboot into the bootloader by running:
adb reboot bootloader

2. Flash the boot image to your boot partition, then boot back into Android by running:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot reboot

3. Push the bcm4329.ko, scsi_wait_scan.ko, and any other modules to your /system/lib/modules folder and reboot.
adb remount
adb push bcm4329.ko /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
adb push tun.ko /system/lib/modules/tun.ko
adb push scsi_wait_scan.ko /system/lib/modules/scsi_wait_scan.ko
adb push cifs.ko /system/lib/modules/cifs.ko

adb push vold.fstab /system/etc/vold.fstab
adb reboot

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think he knows how to open a command prompt and push files with adb. Trying to make sure he has sdk installed.

Great right up bOricua.

Reactions: Beezzy

Beezzy

May 31, 2010
Visit site
You can, the root files are different.

Xoom WiFi (MZ604) Root!! - xda-developers

This looks like a good one for wifi version. Even has videos.

Once you get comfy there loading kernels is cake and doesn't wipe anything. Just a couple files to push and a reboot or two.

You said you ARE rooted already?

Yeah I'm rooted already, there was a one click option I found that loaded 1.6.1 for me without typing anything so I have the bootloader unlocked and can over clock to 1.5GHz with setcpu.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Take your time. I am pretty computer savvy and it took me the better part of a day to get the sdk installed properly. It would never put adb.exe into platforms-tools. Once you get that your money.

Another hint, shift+rightclick on a folder bring up options to open command prompt from the folder you are clicking on. This is quick way to get to command prompt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21