[KERNEL] OC kernel for Xoom Honeycomb 3.1

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
This kernel is now known as Launchpad - check out the development thread here .You should also check out bigrushdog's Tiamat kernel.

Since bigrushdog et al haven't yet posted updated kernels for Honeycomb 3.1 and my overclocking itch needed scratching, I thought I'd share my kernel for Xooms running 3.1 for any other impatient souls. This is forked from AOSP, but with some features like micro SD support borrowed from Tiamat :) The kernel is configured differently, but everything you'd expect from Tiamat should be present (well, except for all those new modules) including the 1.504GHz clock speed.

To install, place the appropriate zip file on your micro SD card and use ClockworkMod Recovery's install zip from sdcard option. You can also extract boot.img from the zip file and flash using fastboot from your PC.

For future reference: exercise caution when adjusting the kernel HZ. It can cause lockups, maybe from a timing loop being thrown off.

I don't use github at present (will do soon), so the source code lives on my PC. If you want it for any reason, just let me know. Many kudos to bigrushdog, coolbho3000, kcrudup, cybertronic and Koush.

Last edited:

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
This may sound like a strange question (lol) but does this keep the LED charging light lit? I know with the old version of Tiamat it gave us the lit LED... and now after switching back to stock 3.0, updating to 3.1, and rooting/Clockwork, etc., I no longer have the charging LED lit. (I am assuming it was something in Tiamat that did this? But I loved that feature!!)

BTW, that is an AMAZING Quadrant score!!!!!!

Reactions: revielka

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yep, there's a specific line of code that disables the charging LED in the stock kernel (no idea why, maybe it annoyed a Google engineer?) I like seeing that it's charging, so I enabled it too.

ClydeB1

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
This may sound like a strange question (lol) but does this keep the LED charging light lit? I know with the old version of Tiamat it gave us the lit LED... and now after switching back to stock 3.0, updating to 3.1, and rooting/Clockwork, etc., I no longer have the charging LED lit. (I am assuming it was something in Tiamat that did this? But I loved that feature!!)

BTW, that is an AMAZING Quadrant score!!!!!!

Yep, there's a specific line of code that disables the charging LED in the stock kernel (no idea why, maybe it annoyed a Google engineer?) I like seeing that it's charging, so I enabled it too.
Yes, I too have lost the led lighting up when charging. BRD will give the option to enable this function in the new kernel he is working on.

LMO

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey just thought of something... if I flash this kernel will anything be messed up if I decide to try the BRD kernel afterwards? I would not have to go back to stock or anything in order to flash the BRD kernel after this one would I?

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Awesome! Works like a champ. I have it @1400 and solid so far. I had a reboot @1504 but I did with Tiamat also.

Thanks for this. I posted this at Xoom forums. Hope you don't mind. I just linked this thread.

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Great to hear it's working (more or less) :) I think that's the first time I've heard a Xoom not taking the 1.5GHz overclock. Maybe user adjustable voltage is in order.

Hey just thought of something... if I flash this kernel will anything be messed up if I decide to try the BRD kernel afterwards? I would not have to go back to stock or anything in order to flash the BRD kernel after this one would I?
There shouldn't be any problems, everything should be overwritten when you flash a new kernel using CWR. I should point out though this kernel mounts USB storage (via USB OTG) to /mnt/usbdisk while recent Tiamat kernels mount to /mnt/usbOTG. I don't have a USB OTG cable, so I can't test if this causes any issues.

Also importantly, built-in storage is mounted following supercurio's work on the Galaxy S/Nexus S filesystems, which AFAIK is still perfectly safe on the Xoom. This also increases Quadrant scores, but unlike the tmpfs cheat it actually improves I/O performance generally.

Last edited:

p2flol

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Extremely fast, however flashing it caused my wifi to break, its just saying "error" . Anyway around that?

edit: nvm, I didn't have an SD card on me so I just flashed the boot.img, forgot to push bcm4329.ko, wifi is back now

Last edited:

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Oops, I fail for putting out something without the means to test it. It looks like I missed out some components for the 3G radio. Could you please try this one? I was going to reply on xoomforums but I'd appreciate it if someone with a VZW Xoom could give it a spin to see if it works properly.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

camblue

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I will give it a shot for you doing it now

Oops, I fail for putting out something without the means to test it. It looks like I missed out some components for the 3G radio. Could you please try this one? I was going to reply on xoomforums but I'd appreciate it if someone with a VZW Xoom could give it a spin to see if it works properly.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

camblue

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
thats a negative sorry 3g service still broken even rebooted just to make sure, let me know if you want me to try again. I dont know if it helps but the baseband version says unknown under about tablet?

ClydeB1

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
You could try this kernel in the mean time. Just sayin' :p
I must have been half asleep when I replied yesterday and thought I was in the BRD kernel thread LOL. Certainly the more options there are the merrier and didn't even see it was another kernel. Sorry mate

TDR

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I must have been half asleep when I replied yesterday and thought I was in the BRD kernel thread LOL. Certainly the more options there are the merrier and didn't even see it was another kernel. Sorry mate
No probs :D

thats a negative sorry 3g service still broken even rebooted just to make sure, let me know if you want me to try again. I dont know if it helps but the baseband version says unknown under about tablet?
Hmm thanks for trying it out. Looking into it now, I probably messed up.

Just wondering, did you flash BRD's HC3.1 zip before this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol