Is there a way to move contacts, pictures, apps, without smart switch?

GundamOOAL

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
My galaxy s4's wifi connecting option is broken and has been for a while and my SIM card holder for that device just got broken. So I got a new galaxy s8+ to replace my old phone only to realize that I need to download smart switch on my old phone with that has a disabled wifi and broken SIM card holder. I don't know why my wifi option suddenly couldn't, be turned on, but it's been like that for a while now. Bluetooth won't turn on either by the way. Also I didn't download smart switch on my old phone before the SIM card holder broke recently so I don't think I can use smart switch to move my things from my old phone to my new one. Is there a way to move my things(contacts,apps,pictures) to my new phone without having smart switch on my old phone and not manually downloading them again?

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. You should have gotten an adapter with the S8+ that would allow you to hook your S4 directly to the S8. Smartswitch on the S8 should then transfer your content over. I did that from my S7 to S8 and I don't remember installing Smartswitch on the S7. That being said, if you can find the Smartswitch apk file (APK MIrror or maybe Samsung directly) and you have a PC, you can sideload the app to your S4 using a direct USB cable. You also don't have to worry about apps, they should download from the Play store once you have the S8 up and running.

GundamOOAL

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
This is a quote from what you said that I have questions about. "Smart switch apk file (APK MIrror or maybe Samsung directly) and you have a PC, you can sideload the app to your S4 using a direct USB cable."

I don't really know what you mean here.
My first question is what is a "apk file" or "APK mirror"?
My second question is what do you mean by "Samsung directly"?
My third question is what do you mean by "sideload the app to your S4 using a direct USB cable"?

For the third question do you mean to plug a sub cable to my pc and plug in the other end on my S4 then download smart switch on my pc and then move the download to my phone which should show up on my pc? If so then I don't think I can do that because I'm plugging a USB cable to my phone right right now with the other end in my pc and when I click "This PC" on my computer it doesn't show my device name anywhere in there. The most that happens is that my S4 is charging and nothing else.

Sorry for asking so much, I don't really understand phones that much. Also thank you for responding to my question so fast.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You should have gotten an adapter with the S8+ that would allow you to hook your S4 directly to the S8. Smartswitch on the S8 should then transfer your content over.

Lets take this first. Have you tried this, as its by far the easier solution? It may even install SS on your S4 for you.

For the third question do you mean to plug a sub cable to my pc and plug in the other end on my S4 then download smart switch on my pc and then move the download to my phone which should show up on my pc?

Yes, you got it. An "apk" is an Android app file. Let's leave that as it is for now, and go back to the easier solution :)

GundamOOAL

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
I have the adapter and plugged it in the right spot and plugged the other end to my old phone too. That was the first thing I did when I got my new phone set up. It didn't show any sign of transferring my contact, pictures, apps from my old phone to my new one from what I could see. I read it in a comment at

Smart Switch Frequently Asked Questions

That is why I thought you needed SS on both devices before you could transfer the files. If you want the link where I read the comment. Also the link might not be ok because when I clicked on it in google search it redirected me first then let me click on the actual link.

Also I'm not sure if what I saw was it transferring or not because when I clicked on "settings"->"cloud and accounts" -> "smart switch" and plugged it in nothing happened from what I could see. It was still downloading the things from my google account that it was downloading before I plugged in the adapter and tapped on SS. Also a YouTube video that I didn't completely watch that said you have to have SS on both devices first is

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ky6iSQw2UyQ

This is what I think mislead me to believe that you needed SS on both devices first in order to transfer the files over. Also like I said I saw no clear indication that the files were transferring over aside from my apps linked with my gmail account.

GundamOOAL

Sep 21, 2017
Visit site
Also I'm trying to reply to the "Post Approved" message but it keeps saying

Call to undefined function split() on line 4 in /web/forum-shared/products/pmautoresponder/components/plugins/vbulletin_pm_autoresponder_check_for_autoresponder_of_receiver--private_insertpm_complete.php
#0 /web/forums.androidcentral.com/www/private.php(1430) : eval()'d code(1): require()
#1 /web/forums.androidcentral.com/www/private.php(1430): eval()
#2 /web/forums.androidcentral.com/www/vbseo.php(1231): require('/web/forums.and...')
#3 {main}

When I click submit. Do you know why?