Paul Collins4

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
You can't make this up...literally 5 minutes after I hung up with them I got an email with tracking info. Coincidence? I'm scheduled for Monday delivery.

Posted via the Android Central App

Let us know what the device is like when you receive it !

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The eagle has landed. So far I'm loving the phone (still somewhat ticked about the pre order debacle but it is what it is). A major reason why I'm moving on from the moto X was the heat issues. So far I've downloaded the update and all of my apps and I haven't gone above 93 degrees!

I'll post more after playing with it for a little longer.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Definitely better sounding speakers than the moto X. Less muddy and has more of a stereo effect although the difference isn't mind blowing. For you tube videos, the idol is a tick louder. Nothing crazy.

jnavar1016

May 17, 2010
Visit site
here is my ordeal, same like everyone finally, got the phone and it's awesome !!!! but android auto does not work, does any body knows what USB mode should I set it in order to work ?
I am not happy about it. I have a note 5 and works fine with the same cable.
I did all the steps :
pair Bluetooth connect the cable download AA application, and application does not does not recognize phone, it just charge it, try another cable and nothing.
any solution that you might think of ??

I called Alcatel, the lady that answer she did not know what Android Auto was, and she keep asking what I was trying to do with Android auto ???
she mention bluetooth will do the same, that is how trained they are.

Last edited:

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Video and any audio

I have the boom key set to take a screen shot. Do I need to disable this in order to get it to enhance audio? For some reason I when I press the boom key while playing music nothing happens. Can't find anything in settings either.

Thanks for your help!

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I have the boom key set to take a screen shot. Do I need to disable this in order to get it to enhance audio? For some reason I when I press the boom key while playing music nothing happens. Can't find anything in settings either.

Thanks for your help!

Disregard. I figured it out. Yeah that's much louder. thank you

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Loving mine. Crushes my old moto X, idol 3, m8 etc...

Power / speed - check (yes it's not the 820 but it handles everything. Benchmarks show it's not too shabby by any means).
Screen quality - check
Camera - semi check, low light could be better
Speakers - massive check
Build - check (it's awesome)
Software - check
Bundled Accessories so you don't have to spend extra - check

Post up whatever questions you have. Honestly this forum is pretty dead right now. Once the price drops from $399 and people start buying this device it should hopefully pick up.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
To be fair, I'm considering this as an alternative to the Honor 8 after the nonsense with the black colors availability. I looked briefly at specs and benchmarks, but real reviews like Flossy and others are more informative I believe. Most of them seem very favorable. I don't really tinker, don't root, I just want a device that will work well.

Edit: also, how has Alcatel been about updates on their unlocked devices?

Last edited:

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, I'm considering this as an alternative to the Honor 8 after the nonsense with the black colors availability. I looked briefly at specs and benchmarks, but real reviews like Flossy and others are more informative I believe. Most of them seem very favorable. I don't really tinker, don't root, I just want a device that will work well.

Edit: also, how has Alcatel been about updates on their unlocked devices?
Not terrible with software... Not great either. Alcatel did ultimately update the idol 3 to marshmallow. It did take a very long time though. The 3 was one of phones to get the stage fright patch early which was good. It also got fixes and tweaks here and there. With regards to the 4s, they are promising that it will get Nougat. When is the only question mark. It's currently running the August security update.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
That's not too bad, sounds like they stay close on the security updates and even if it takes a bit they get the OS ones. I know most of the reviews mentioned getting warm when using the camera, but what about while using nav and streaming music, or playing something like boom beach? My nexus 5x can get close to 140 F if I use nav while charging.

Side note: I just remembered, my fiancee has an Alcatel tablet from T-Mobile, seems well built if basic.

Last edited:

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
That's not too bad, sounds like they stay close on the security updates and even if it takes a bit they get the OS ones. I know most of the reviews mentioned getting warm when using the camera, but what about while using nav and streaming music, or playing something like boom beach? My nexus 5x can get close to 140 F if I use nav while charging.

Side note: I just remembered, my fiancee has an Alcatel tablet from T-Mobile, seems well built if basic.
It gets warm but nothing out of the ordinary in my experience. Granted I haven't pushed it yet. Gaming and day to day usage isn't nearly as bad as my moto X pure was. One of the reviews said something about heat when recording video. I haven't seen that yet although I haven't recorded much video either.

Highest I've seen it was maybe 107 or 108 when gaming. Not that it wouldn't go higher, I just tend to shut it down at that point.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I got to mess around with an iPhone 7 today and compared their "stereo" sound with the idol 4s. Wasn't even close. Idol sounded better. Was just a quick comparison but the difference was definitely noticeable.

fdalbor

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
Cricket has the Idol 4 for 169. I have a Idol3 that is only 4 months old is the 4 enough of an upgrade to make it worth while.

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The 4s definitely is. The regular 4 may be a very slight upgrade. I'd take the snapdragon 617 in the 4 over the 615 in the 3 but that difference is negligible. The 4 does have an extra gig of RAM tbough. Battery however may be a downgrade. Build / speakers are better on the 4. For $169 I'd probably do it.