I can't recommend the Kindle until they release updates

bidoof01

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
The thing is that its really fast and everything is made easy to use. The only bad part is that sometimes it doesn't work as intended. The browser hangs up, wifi is really glitchy dropping in and out, very few customization options, navigating sometimes lag, keyboard sometimes doesn't register your input, video watching not as fast as ipad or as good quality. All of these faults could be fixed with updates. For the price, it is a great device. Book reading is excellent. Considering this is Amazon's first real shot at a tablet, things would only get better with time.

Last edited:

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Well having owned the Fire and the Nook Tablet, the UI on the Fire is hands down better than the Nook. My one day old NookTablet is going back today. I love my Fire!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had mine since about 2 pm CST today and I've been running it through its paces. I agree with everyone on here (the positive and negative sides) - but I can definitely say that it's a great piece of hardware, regardless of the fact that it's only $200.

My primary issue right now is that if you hold it in landscape (with the speakers facing left) the bottom left corner is slightly unresponsive when trying to press the "Home" button. It's only in this position. Essentially I have to press the black part of the bezel to get it to work, and it doesn't happen when I'm using the keyboard to switch to using numbers/symbols. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm really debating on getting rid of my GTab 10.1 for this thing, but as sad as it sounds, the unresponsiveness in that spot might be a deal breaker.

I posted this in two spots to see if anyone else was having this issue. I'm hoping it's just a glitch that can be fixed with a software update. Or if I should exchange it.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My primary issue right now is that if you hold it in landscape (with the speakers facing left) the bottom left corner is slightly unresponsive when trying to press the "Home" button. It's only in this position. Essentially I have to press the black part of the bezel to get it to work, and it doesn't happen when I'm using the keyboard to switch to using numbers/symbols. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm really debating on getting rid of my GTab 10.1 for this thing, but as sad as it sounds, the unresponsiveness in that spot might be a deal breaker.

I posted this in two spots to see if anyone else was having this issue. I'm hoping it's just a glitch that can be fixed with a software update. Or if I should exchange it.
It might just be a bad unit. Mine is fine, so I'd contact Amazon with your concerns and ask for an exchange.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
It might just be a bad unit. Mine is fine, so I'd contact Amazon with your concerns and ask for an exchange.

And that's exactly what I was looking for. I sent an email to CS with Amazon to see what they say. I love this thing besides that. It really messed up when I was playing Plants vs. Zombies and had to turn it off to get out of it.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Well having owned the Fire and the Nook Tablet, the UI on the Fire is hands down better than the Nook. My one day old NookTablet is going back today. I love my Fire!

You like not having page numbers in your books, or not being able to organize your books or not being able to create custom shelves to store books? Because you can do all those things with the Nook.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I got mine and Have tested my Fire and to tell you the truth is completely dissapointing, my phone opens websites faster on the same wifi and the Video Streaming on Amazon Kindle Fire is Horrible, no HD and the colors are bad when compared to the Nook Tablet that one seems better for 50 dollar difference, the lag on the Kindle is just plain frustrating, having to click home key several times, sometimes it freezes, I wont recommend this to anybody, I will return it soon, waiting for the case I ordered and returning them both, I will be instead getting the Asus Eee pad Transformer/ or Transformer prime, still have decided.

bidoof01

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I got mine and Have tested my Fire and to tell you the truth is completely dissapointing, my phone opens websites faster on the same wifi and the Video Streaming on Amazon Kindle Fire is Horrible, no HD and the colors are bad when compared to the Nook Tablet that one seems better for 50 dollar difference, the lag on the Kindle is just plain frustrating, having to click home key several times, sometimes it freezes, I wont recommend this to anybody, I will return it soon, waiting for the case I ordered and returning them both, I will be instead getting the Asus Eee pad Transformer/ or Transformer prime, still have decided.

Yes exactly this. I sometimes have to press a button several times for it to register. Their browser is very slow, so I have to use Dolphin atm. Video quality is very poor.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
...the lag on the Kindle is just plain frustrating, having to click home key several times...

...I sometimes have to press a button several times for it to register...

Is this similar to what I was saying above? Re: the "Home" button being unresponsive when in landscape? I'm having an issue that when you press directly on it, it either doesn't register the press or presses the thing above the "Home" button, but if you click slightly below it, basically half on the bezel and half on the screen, it works. I'd appreciate some feedback. Just trying to see if it's my unit or something I'll either live with or return. Thanks.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Streaming is fine as are the colors. The lack of HD is probably because it's a lot fatter on bandwidth and since the screen can't render native 720p (being only 600 px tall) why bother. It looks better than the Transformer, but not as good as my Epic 4G Touch, but then again NOTHING looks as good as that. My Fire is faster and more responsive than the Transformer as well. If I hadn't won it, I would be PO'ed at how chuggy it is compared to the GS2. I've had no problems whipping from one function to another without lag on the Fire. I'm not sure what's wrong with yours.

To speed up Silk, I saw a recommendation to turn off plug-ins and acceleration and set it to mobile. I haven't used it enough to compare before and after, but it's worth a shot.

bidoof01

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Is this similar to what I was saying above? Re: the "Home" button being unresponsive when in landscape? I'm having an issue that when you press directly on it, it either doesn't register the press or presses the thing above the "Home" button, but if you click slightly below it, basically half on the bezel and half on the screen, it works. I'd appreciate some feedback. Just trying to see if it's my unit or something I'll either live with or return. Thanks.

You most definitely have a defective product. My problem only happens about 10-15% of the time.

Sniper1087

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Streaming is fine as are the colors. The lack of HD is probably because it's a lot fatter on bandwidth and since the screen can't render native 720p (being only 600 px tall) why bother. It looks better than the Transformer, but not as good as my Epic 4G Touch, but then again NOTHING looks as good as that. My Fire is faster and more responsive than the Transformer as well. If I hadn't won it, I would be PO'ed at how chuggy it is compared to the GS2. I've had no problems whipping from one function to another without lag on the Fire. I'm not sure what's wrong with yours.

To speed up Silk, I saw a recommendation to turn off plug-ins and acceleration and set it to mobile. I haven't used it enough to compare before and after, but it's worth a shot.

hmm you said that this tablet is faster than the original transformer?, the browser is where i get dissapointment, pinching to zoom, shouldnt be that laggy, and also since the display is little i have to do it many times, so i expected to be smooth, but i dont see that at all, now as for the display it is better, but if you are talking about comparing HD, yes the display is not optimized for that, yet the display on the Nook Tablet isnt either and playing the same movie, showed better quality

Kindle Fire vs. Nook Tablet...fight! -- Engadget

now performance, well I am expecting a tablet that can perform a little better, but for the price point I cant ask for more. Yet I would like to see a live unit of the Transformer and Transformer prime to compare, in performance so far my experience hasnt been the best, and trust me I tried to like it, but yet pressing the home key several times to register is annoying , and there is definitely lag when going back home or back a step sometimes it takes 2 to 5 seconds to register the touch. the Nook Tablet does not have that issue and both have same processor, but this could be due to low ram at 512 MB. anyways I hope you guys enjoy I will be returning mine and maybe get the Transformer or the Prime I will have to do more research before buying.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You most definitely have a defective product. My problem only happens about 10-15% of the time.

I talked to CS with Amazon today and they're sending me a new one. It's really weird because it only does it when it's in landscape with the speakers on the left. If they're on the right, no issues.

mykrlz182

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Wow I would get your Transformer checked out, there is no way the Fire is faster at anything than the transformer. I tried both of them out and the Transformer video and browsing was noticeably better.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

rusmo

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the premise of the original post. I want Amazon to fix the responsiveness of the touchscreen as a frustrating percent of my touches aren't registered. I want Amazon to update the Kindle reading app to include and perhaps surpass the feature set of the newest Kindles and Kindle Apps. I want the Carousel to be an option, and I want options regarding what's displayed on it. I want every trace of interface lag to be hunted down with extreme prejudice and eradicated, making this device *feel* like it has sufficient hardware for it's OS and apps.

Address some of those issues and I'll stop recommending the E-Ink Kindles and the Fire's more expensive tablet competition over this.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The carousel seems to have calmed down in the past week. I still don't care for it. I always move to another tab anyway, or run from Go Launcher.

helmutk

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I just use the Carousel to return to recently used apps. For me this works out well. I do not normally use it to browse my apps. Next I use the Favorites shelves. I am actually growing to like the KF UI and am starting to appreciate it's "all on one page" functionality. I have the GO Launcher installed but tend to find myself returning to the KF UI most of the time. Since I have an IPad and a Xoom my Fire has become my quick use tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez