Should I get a new device?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Hello all. This is gonna be a bit of a long post! I have had the Note 10+ since last April. It has served me very well ever since then. A few months ago, I took it some place to replace the battery and whatever they did screwed up the display. I took it somewhere else and it appeared to be mostly fixed. Sadly, it ruined the IP rating of my device. Ever since then, my device has had a weird tint to it. I think it may be possibly time to upgrade. Or, I could just live with it and use it until further necessary purchase since I have never had any issues with the device. I am not interested in any of the S21 or S22 series.

That being said, if I were to get a new device right now, I have no idea which way to go. I really want to have a device with SD card support, so I would be limited pretty much to older Samsung or LG devices. I have tried to buy the Note 9 several times now from Ebay and have bought devices that all had issues. And regarding their support, I don't really suppose it's worth it for a 300 dollar device. So far, the best deal I have found, is getting the standard S20 from Samsung pre-owned with all discounts would cost around 330 dollars. I actually tried out this device awhile back when I ordered one for my wife and I was very impressed with it. Beautiful screen. Bit different considering how small it is compared to my Note 10+. A few others I had contemplated were the S20+, Note 20 Ultra and the LG V60. All these devices would be used and purchased from Samsung. I could also get the S20 FE, regardless of memory size for under 400 dollars. I have tried out all these devices previously and my most glaring issue with the S20 series is that the camera seems to have issues. Not necessarily performance issues... But when taking pictures of people, they tend to wash people out in this very unpleasant skin tone. My Note has no camera issues at all.

I like the form factor of my Note device, but sometimes I honestly wish I had a bit smaller of a device as it is not as comfortable. Around 6.4 really is the sweet spot IMO. Note 20 Ultra is a gigantic beast of a device and would cost me around 600 dollars which is a bit steep. The S20 series phones are not that old by comparison to my N10+ and will still be supported for at least another two years with whatever OS updates and security updates are available to them afterwards. I thought about the S10+ or S10e as well, but paying 300+ dollars for a device this old doesn't really seem to be a good purchase value-wise.

So...
S20 - 330
S20 FE - 380
S20+ - 450
Note 20 Ultra - 600

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

David Thomas24

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
it depends on what kind of UI you like do you like samsung one UI or do you like stock android better with google pixel line up you are for sure to get the most up to date android but with samsung you still get your android updates but it may take a little longer

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I like One UI. I need SD card support, and Pixel's don't have that. So that wouldn't work for me. For around 330 dollars, I decided to try out the S20. I feel like that's a really good price for the amount of phone/features that I would be getting. Sadly, it's backordered from Samsung. I think my second choice is the S20+. The WQHD screen and 12GB of RAM on both the S20/S20+ choices make it a much better choice to me than the S20 FE.

I look forward to being able to put a nice, heavy duty case on the phone and it still not seem gigantic. When I put a huge, bulky case on my Note 10+, it becomes pretty ridiculous. Like carrying around a brick.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I like One UI. I need SD card support, and Pixel's don't have that. So that wouldn't work for me. For 335 dollars, I decided to try out the S20. I feel like that's a really good price for the amount of phone/features that I would be getting. Sadly, it's backordered from Samsung. I think my second choice is the S20+. The WQHD screen and 12GB of RAM on both the S20/S20+ choices make it a much better choice to me than the S20 FE.

I look forward to being able to put a nice, heavy duty case on the phone and it still not seem gigantic. When I put a huge, bulky case on my Note 10+, it becomes pretty ridiculous. Like carrying around a brick.

That's too bad that the device you wanted is on backorder! The S20 FE is a really great phone, however -- perhaps that would interest you? It's still a great choice, even today!

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
It should be in in a few weeks. Nah. I don't like the thought of having just a 1080 display. I like having the option. In using both of them previously, the S20, even at 1080 with 120 hz refresh rate, has a more colorful and brighter panel than the S20 FE.

The S20 FE, even with the model that has more storage and 8GB of RAM, still costs more than what I got for the standard S20. Around 380 bucks. I'd rather pay around 330 for a device that has more specs! I'm a nerd like that lol

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It should be in in a few weeks. Nah. I don't like the thought of having just a 1080 display. I like having the option. In using both of them previously, the S20, even at 1080 with 120 hz refresh rate, has a more colorful and brighter panel than the S20 FE.

The S20 FE, even with the model that has more storage and 8GB of RAM, still costs more than what I got for the standard S20. Around 380 bucks. I'd rather pay around 330 for a device that has more specs! I'm a nerd like that lol

No, I totally get that! Good for you for finding a device that works for you for a price that works for you, too! Let us know when you get it!