Credit card or Prepaid credit card needed for app store

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and set up my kids Fires early before giving them on Christmas day. I was thrilled to find out that a credit card must be used to purchase even "free" apps. I was able to find out that a Prepaid Visa/Mastercard with a US based bank can be used. The only bad part is having to pay a fee. The ones I purchased had a $3.95 fee and were the Vanilla brand. I plan on using $24 of the $25 on this card to buy gas with and adding the Amazon gift cards as originally planned.

Again the account tied to the Fire needs to have a credit card or prepaid credit card on file to download any app. There is no way around this without root/sideload.

There are going to be some mad parents on Christmas morning so I wanted to point this out ahead of time.

Reactions: hawaiijedi

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I totally understand what your saying, my daughter lives in Japan for the most part of the year and I bought her a Kindle. I am trying to figure out how I can control access from here in Hawaii when she goes back home. I don't want her going to town buying books and games on my credit card without my approval. I really do not know what to do.

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
If you keep her on your account.. Then you can add a prepaid Visa to your account as the "One Click" card and chose your other cards manually for making Amazon purchases. or Create a new account and add the prepaid Visa as the "One Click" for that account.

xr3llx

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
This isn't directed at you, Ricktat, yet simply my .02. I apologize in advance if you feel I have hijacked your thread and will happily remove the post if requested via private message.

I know I may sound crazy when you read the next sentence, but read on! If the Kindle is for a kid, why not give them their own pre-paid card? Granted, this applies more-so to parents of a single child as opposed to multiple children on one device which would prove more challenging!

I'll keep it short, but allow me to explain:

Pre-paid debit cards are, at least in my opinion, a good way to give kids their allowance, for one. My reasoning being that the introduction to, and management of, digital currency at an early age allows parents to not only track spending, but instill the responsibility required to effectively avoid making the same mistakes of the cash generation.

Many early adopters of plastic still have the subconscious tendency to attribute a higher value to cash instead of "currency=currency". While this is an issue that adults must work to overcome, we can allow our youth to avoid it altogether.

Don't even get me started on credit cards! ;)

ricktat

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I purchased mine today at CVS pharmacy. They were the Vanilla Visa brand. It allows you to set up a zip code to the card on the web site. I am sure they have them at Walgreens or where ever. I don't know how all that goes in Hawaii. The website shows over 50 retailers that sell them.

Just make sure they have an expiration date and they come from a U S based Bank.

I used 2 cards and set up 2 today so it works for sure. I could have just tried one card for 2 accounts but for the extra $3 fee I didn't want any hassle of going back to the store.

jywang

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I should clarify that I use a Amazon gift card and then enter 4111111111111111 as my credit card for 1 click. So it is impossible to spend more than the gift card balance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel