No OS, using TWRP

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So i rooted a friends KF several times and reverted back to stock several time. This time however, I have an issue. I place the Amazon 6.3.2 update.zip onto the scard root, went into TWRP and wiped all caches. When I click INSTALL it locates the update.zip and I swipe to install, then it gives an error that it cannot update. That is all it does! if I reboot, it stays on the Blue KINDLE FIRE logo. Can anyone help me get back to factory???? I don't care which method, but my computer (win7 32-bit) will only recognize the KF when I mount the SD card within TWRP. So what are my options here?

Note: Ihave also tried earlier versions of Amazon's software and CM7 (which was on it before wanting to restore)

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I had something similar occur on my HTC One. I formatted system and flashed. As scary as that is, it worked. If you don't have another option, and the device is bricked, try it. Only ever do this as a last resort.
The error you are having is the product line of the build.prop file. Formatting system will remove all remnants of the old OS from the device.

[WARN]It's probably a very bad idea to power down the device after formatting your system partition! After the format, immediately flash the factory rom![/WARN]

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
It didn't for me, and shouldn't for you. It should only format the system. I didn't reboot before installing the new rom, so I don't know if that would or wouldn't.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Alright, it won't be easy, I suppose. You're going to need to edit the zip with your computer. Find the update_zip and comment out the assert command that you're failing on. You should be able to flash the rom then.
Aparently the problem is with TWRP. In updated versions, the name should be "otter" instead of "blaze". I could explain how to change that, but it's really not worth either of our time. It's easier to comment out the assert.

Edit: What would also work and be a lot easier is to flash an older version of TWRP and use that to install the rom. Find a flashable version of 2.2.2.1, install that and flash the rom.

Last edited:

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have done that earlier by googling different things. Every program I run outputs this error:

exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: no such directory

any thoughts on that? because I can enter adb and fastboot but nothing will write to the KF

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I have done that earlier by googling different things. Every program I run outputs this error:

exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: no such directory

any thoughts on that? because I can enter adb and fastboot but nothing will write to the KF

Is that error coming up on install or when you try to enter an adb shell? I'd expect that with an adb shell, not so much with a rom.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll have to think about it a bit then. It's surely recoverable, but Kindle devices are far from my specialty. I'll think it over and post when I have a worthwhile idea for you, and in the meantime I'm going to share this thread with my peers and see if they have any ideas. It's entirely possible I missed something stupid.

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
So after tinkering for about 6 hours, It finally took an update. The NEW ISSUE, it is stuck at the Kindle Fire logo! I am now searching for a fix for that. I tried KFU, but again it outputs the system/bin/sh no directory error.

no.PNG

Last edited:

anon(5140585)

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
how do I mount/system? Through adb?

I tried a lot of methods last night, but I had TWRP 2.5 installed which wouldn't flash anything. I used a utility which put of FFF and TWRP 2.2 and then flash the stock KF rom. After it is said updated, it stayed at the "verifying" stage for about 20 minutes before rebooting. It rebooted and now stuck at logo. I can access through adb, but can't root and can't do anything while the system/bin error exists.