[Guide] Malware / Adware / Popup Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
If you find yourself plagued with annoying pop-up ads, here are several steps to take in getting rid of these annoying pests.

"Why am I getting these for?" you may ask. Your phone has been infested with adware. The most common way of getting adware is by downloading \ installing non trusted apps/files to your device that has the adware hidden in them.

First, let's boot into safe mode. This will deactivate all third-party apps installed on your device. If the pop up(s) have stopped you know a third-party app is the source. If you can find the responsible app you will not have to reset your device.

Now start by making a list of all recent downloads you made. Starting with the most recent, uninstall apps one by one until the pop ups stop. Note which one took away the pop ups. That way you can avoid it in the future and if possible report the app/download as spam/adware.

Wipe system cache via recovery afterwards.

Secondly, if you have uninstalled all user apps and you still get pop ups, it's time to wipe all app cache. (Setting>System>Storage) Turn device off, boot into recovery and wipe system cache.

Finally, if neither of the above worked, you will need to preform a factory data reset. Before you do so, backup only the most important things you need. Go to settings>back up and reset>Uncheck automatic restore.

Preform the FDR. Upon setting your device back up, make sure not to restore via your Google account. Select set up as New Device.

NOTE: Restoring your device via Google backup can infact restore the very files that are causing you problems.

Root users, you may need to reflash back to stock. Since root permission allows system files to be altered, a simple FDR may not get rid of the adware.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another suggestion is to boot into safe mode if it can. That can eliminate if it is a 3rd party app.

Good write up

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Here's something I encountered recently, on an iPhone.

83beeb902681584af007443169c854fb.jpg

Yes, of course I'll tell you my account details and password.

Last edited:

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Crikey! Might as well just give them your passport and banking details... the scary thing is that a lot of ppl actually do complete those!!!

xero1846

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
While this information is good, when you get the app that caused it, if the problem persists (as was the case for me only when clicking links within the facebook app) need to go into your facebook profile on a computer, click on your home page, then on the left side go down to apps and click "more" you'll see the whole list of legitimate apps that have access to your profile, and in my case, a few suspect ones with very generic and vague names, remove them. The problem has gone away for me so far. Good luck.

tarrystone

Nov 14, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, but . . . . . . Does everyone know how to boot their device in 'Safe Mode'? I certainly don't :eek:)
Regards
Tarrystone

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

However, certain phones have a different procedure, like Samsung. You can typically search for the correct procedure on the web by Googling "[your phone] Safe Mode."

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

However, certain phones have a different procedure, like Samsung. You can typically search for the correct procedure on the web by Googling "[your phone] Safe Mode."
OK now in safe mode exactly what do you do?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Safe Mode will disable any app that wasn't preinstalled, so if the offending app is causing problems, this should temporarily stop the issue. You can then start uninstalling apps one by one, to narrow down which app is the culprit. It can be a tedious process, but unless you have some clue as to which app is causing the problem, this is probably the only way to do it.

reinbeau

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing. The ONLY website I get this message from is https://truepundit.com/ . Be careful if you follow that link while mobile. And it only happens every two or three visits. The shriek is piercing, and this is the message I get:

2018-01-01 18.03.30.jpg

The only way out is by turning off the phone. It does not appear again until I go there again.

I am extremely careful about programs I download. I don't download games or fluffy stuff, only useful, and all of the programs I have on my Note I'm very familiar with. So what I want to know is why is this Applock app, which seems legitimate, on the Play Store, allowing themselves to be associated with this kind of crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.