[GUIDE] Using chkdsk to fix a corrupted SD card

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I recieve a message that says: The type of the file system is RAW. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives.

Are you able to change it to a different format by right clicking the drive when it's on your computer?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this tutorial.
Saved a bunch of photos and other irreplaceable items.

I appreciate it.

No problem :)
I recommend using a backup service like Google + or Dropbox so that your photos aren't just saved in one place.

I can reformat however i am trying to recover my data, changing format will erase my data

Ah, I see. If CHKDSK doesn't support RAW, then you can try a third party recovery service. They aren't 100% effective, but I have heard good things about Recuva.

Last edited by a moderator:

MommaShawley

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung branded 32gb micro SD card. Its said it was corrupted and then said blank then corrupted.... I did the chkdsk and its been setting there for 2hours saying 0% complete.... And then it says c:\windows\system32> IMMEDIATELY after all that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'd say it's royally messed up. Is it brand new? If so, see if you can exchange it. Otherwise, you can try to format it, but if it doesn't format, it's probably a total loss.

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have successfully used PhotoRec to recover a SD Card that said not accessible on the Android Phone, and when inserted to be read on laptop said needs to be formatted. ALSO, CHKDSK reported that the file system not does not support RAW. I am not an expert in file systems. I searched the internet, only to discover that chkdsk will not work because of the RAW, and nothing else will in this case, except the PhotoRec (there is also a lame YouTube video, but it gives you a feel for how the download, install and use...no audio). The website for the program is: www.security.org/wiki/Testdisk_Download . It recovered 659 pictures, 9 movies and others. The program runs in Windows on your laptop. Now, the card was 16GB, I ran the program for over a day. There was done file recovering even after the 24 hour period, do I kept it running. However I have run the program for over 147 hours, there have been no more files found for quite a while. The program says Pass 1 (omg? ), estimated time to complete is 2788 hours (omg, again? ). I am going to make the leap that the rest of the SD Card had nothing written to it, and I have recovered all that there are, and about to stop the program. It created two sub-directories within the directory where the program resides that contained the recovery files. Don't know why it created two directories, 1st was recup_dir_1, 2nd recup_dir_2. Both contained different recovered files. The SD Card came from a Samsung Galaxy phone, which goes along with many comments that Samsung phones get corrupted more often than other phones. I have a Note 2, using a 32GBP from 4 phones ago, and never had a problem. But, now use Verizon's Cloud, and feel better that all my stuff is securely backed up (pictures, video, docs, music, texts, call log, contacts...EVERYTHING important in case of disaster! ! )

Posted via the Android Central App

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Correction: the PhotoRec programs runs in a Windows Command Prompt (like DOS in the old days, that this old man used to use....Lol).

Posted via the Android Central App

Kendra Cui

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I've tried putting the switch in my SD card on both settings and trying chkdsk with the switch on both sides, but it still says "Cannot open volume for direct access". I am currently using an adaptor to connect my SD card to my laptop; could that be part of the problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What switch are you talking about, a write-protect switch? Those are only on fullsize SD cards--does the adapter have that switch?

Make sure the microSD card is inserted fully into the adapter, and then make sure the whole thing is inserted correctly into your laptop's SD card reader. Do you still get that error? It may be that the microSD card is completely faulty.

Gitanjli Swami

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
wen i connect ma sd card with PC it says u need to format it. whereas wen i try to format it, its never gets formatted says unable to format.
it even shows the format status of Sd as RAW
plzzz help.:'(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress