persistent toast messages

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Under Android 9, toast messages (small, grey to black popups) would fade away quickly, maybe 5 or 6 seconds. Under Android 10 (On Pixel 2 XL) they are hanging around, sometimes until replaced by a newer popup or when screen contents totally change, other times seeming to age out after 5 minutes or so. In the meanwhile,, stuff at the bottom of the screen can be seen only through the transparency allowed by the toast message, which can make the phone pretty much unusable until it clears. Are other people experiencing this? Please let me know if I'm the only victim, I will try some sort of reset. Or, if you are experiencing it, does anyone know a technique for forcing the toast message to clear out?:confused:

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Lots of different toasts, things like "message sent", "copying file", "transaction accepted". The specific apps in this case were aquamail, MLO and Quicken.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are any of them from system apps or preinstalled apps? If so, you could try Safe Mode, but if not, then it can be a bit harder to figure out.

LTrane

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been having this very issue on my unlocked Pixel 3 since the “upgrade” to Android 10! Been searching for blogs about this for weeks but only this and one other talk about it but still not solution.

I tried disabling alerts in System UI, booting into Safe Mode and recently, a factory reset. Nothing fixes this issue! The, mostly redundant and unnecessary, System notification stays present for more than a minute and meanwhile blocks my view of whatever is behind it ...usually another prompt.

LTrane

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
The toast comes from the System UI; “copied to clipboard”, “downloaded”, etc. All still occurring in Safe Mode

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have been having this very issue on my unlocked Pixel 3 since the “upgrade” to Android 10! Been searching for blogs about this for weeks but only this and one other talk about it but still not solution.

I tried disabling alerts in System UI, booting into Safe Mode and recently, a factory reset. Nothing fixes this issue! The, mostly redundant and unnecessary, System notification stays present for more than a minute and meanwhile blocks my view of whatever is behind it ...usually another prompt.
Can you get a screenshot of this notification?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just tested it on my 3 XL, and the toast goes away within about 5 seconds. I'd still say that reinstalling the firmware is the next step. I know you already tried a factory reset, but that just uses the copy of the firmware that's on the phone -- and if that's corrupted, then the reset won't do anything.

EDIT: If you have Developer Options on, try turning them off.

LTrane

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
@Javier P; Yep the last entry at that link you included is actually from me. After factory reset, Developer Options were off and still had issue so I turned them back on. Not sure what you mean by reinstalling Firmware, though. Factory Reset is only option I know about. Please elaborate. Thanks!
-Trane
Let's hope this problem is fixed with the latest system update being released these days. I only found another report of this same issue and it links this thread! :)

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/18493563?hl=en

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Check out the link in my previous post no. 7 above. Reinstalling firmware means reinstalling the system files, which is different from doing a factory reset (which just uses the system files that are already on the phone). If the firmware on the phone has become corrupt somehow, then reinstalling the firmware can correct the problem.

EDIT: This probably isn't the problem, but what version of Google Play Services are you running? I'm on 19.6.29.

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm the OP happy to see some action in this thread. Fyi I am using a pixel 2 xl with default launcher, not rooted, no app cleaner, running lookout for security. I'm considering reinstalling firmwear as soon as I convince myself that the risk of making it all worse is low.

I get persistent toasts from standard apps like Contacts and Settings as well as private apps like MLO, my task manager. They persist after the app is closed. Here are some screenshots:

The first shot shows a persistent "text copied" toast. Fyi notice that it is slightly transparent, showing a bit of the blue "add contact" button.

In the second screenshot I have closed the contacts app and the toast is showing against the home screen. Also showing at top of page is a second toast about the first screenshot I took

Now I'm in Maps, the text copied toast still present and the first screenshot toast replaced by the second screenshot toast.

As you can see the phone is not locked up, however if I need to tap a button or a keyboard key that's hidden by the toast I cannot proceed until the toast clears, although sometimes I can see the button through the transparency of the button or by rotating the device

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191205-010450.jpg
    Screenshot_20191205-010450.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20191205-010519.jpg
    Screenshot_20191205-010519.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20191205-010556.jpg
    Screenshot_20191205-010556.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 18

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yikes that has got to be annoying, I am trying to replicate this on my Huawei P30 Pro with Android 10 but not seeing it happen to me at all.

Hope you can get it sorted out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, I'm the OP happy to see some action in this thread. Fyi I am using a pixel 2 xl with default launcher, not rooted, no app cleaner, running lookout for security. I'm considering reinstalling firmwear as soon as I convince myself that the risk of making it all worse is low.

I get persistent toasts from standard apps like Contacts and Settings as well as private apps like MLO, my task manager. They persist after the app is closed. Here are some screenshots:

The first shot shows a persistent "text copied" toast. Fyi notice that it is slightly transparent, showing a bit of the blue "add contact" button.

In the second screenshot I have closed the contacts app and the toast is showing against the home screen. Also showing at top of page is a second toast about the first screenshot I took

Now I'm in Maps, the text copied toast still present and the first screenshot toast replaced by the second screenshot toast.

As you can see the phone is not locked up, however if I need to tap a button or a keyboard key that's hidden by the toast I cannot proceed until the toast clears, although sometimes I can see the button through the transparency of the button or by rotating the device
Hello , if you force close one of those apps does the toast notification go away?

Duard

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Mustang. No.

After getting the persistent toast "text copied" by copying some onscreen text to clipboard while in Contacts app, then using edge navigation I swiped from the bottom edge to center screen to bring up the strip of recent apps, selected the current app (still Contacts) and swiped it up and off the screen. Toast still there. Opened Contacts again, toast still there. About 3 minutes later my phone beeped for a notification of an incoming message to the Signals app, and I noticed that the toast had cleared.

Sorry, but is this what you meant by "force close"?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, Mustang. No.

After getting the persistent toast "text copied" by copying some onscreen text to clipboard while in Contacts app, then using edge navigation I swiped from the bottom edge to center screen to bring up the strip of recent apps, selected the current app (still Contacts) and swiped it up and off the screen. Toast still there. Opened Contacts again, toast still there. About 3 minutes later my phone beeped for a notification of an incoming message to the Signals app, and I noticed that the toast had cleared.

Sorry, but is this what you meant by "force close"?
If you long press the message app for example then tap info should give option to force close it ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45