S22u to S24u issue with Google Messages

jmeander

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Wasn't documenting every step as this happened so it's from memory and what I can see on both devices.

Coming from S22u and Google Messages as default with RCS.

Powered up new S24u. Did not load SIM yet. Used Smart Switch to transfer everything. My WiFi connected and almost immediately I get a text from Bill (who's Google Messaging from a Fold.) Like, wow, that was quick. I open the message and am shocked to see my entire chat history with him shows his incoming texts only - none of my own outgoing messages are displayed. I notice that this is a new "group chat" I supposedly created, and there are two group members: Bill and my own phone number?? I go look to my contact history with Bill and, you guessed it, that's where all of my outgoing texts are, and none of his incoming.

Somehow, with my SIM still in the S22 and my S24 newly on WiFi, my entire history with Bill was spontaneously split, with his half going to a new group chat with my number, and my half being the normal chat history with him.

Huh?

Move the SIM to the S24. No change to the messaging split in Google.

So, I open Samsung Messages and wow, everything is normal. All of my history with Bill is together in one thread, no mystery group chat. Kept Samsung Messages as the default for a while but I miss RCS. Tried to go back to Google Messaging but it's not displaying anything new from anyone since the time this happened - no new messages that happened in Samsung Messages are shown. Go back to Samsung and all is well again. Tried a couple times, and disabling RCS in Google and no help. Clearing the cache also did not help.

Installed the Verizon Messages+ app and everything looks normal there, other than the fact I hate the UI.

I have Smart Switched flawlessly several times in the past and never had anything like this happen. I think it was something with the timing of the two Google Messages apps being live and the SIM swap. Maybe a text coming in at the time Verizon was deregistering one and registering the other?

Any experts know what happened? Is there any hope of getting back to Google Messages with the missing 5 days of texts since the swap, and merging my 'group' chat with Bill into the 'normal' chat so that both sides are shown? I can actually live with the Bill split if I have to, at least nothing was truly was lost there. But as luck would have it I have had a LOT of life happen in texts over the past 5 days, and I don't want to lose that history by returning to Google Messaging.

Love the S24u, btw. I have not had the grain or lines issue with my display that others are reporting.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Wasn't documenting every step as this happened so it's from memory and what I can see on both devices.

Powered up new S24u. Did not load SIM yet. Used Smart Switch to transfer everything. My WiFi connected and almost immediately I get a text from Bill (who's Google Messaging from a Fold.) Like, wow, that was quick. I open the message and am shocked to see my entire chat history with him shows his incoming texts only - none of my own outgoing messages are displayed. I notice that this is a new "group chat" I supposedly created, and there are two group members: Bill and my own phone number?? I go look to my contact history with Bill and, you guessed it, that's where all of my outgoing texts are, and none of his incoming.

Somehow, with my SIM still in the S22 and my S24 newly on WiFi, my entire history with Bill was spontaneously split, with his half going to a new group chat with my number, and my half being the normal chat history with him.

Huh?

So, I open Samsung Messages and wow, everything is normal. All of my history with Bill is together in one thread, no mystery group chat. Kept Samsung Messages as the default for a while but I miss RCS. Tried to go back to Google Messaging but it's not displaying anything new from anyone since the time this happened - no new messages that happened in Samsung Messages are shown. Go back to Samsung and all is well again. Tried a couple times, and disabling RCS in Google and no help. Clearing the cache also did not help.

Installed the Verizon Messages+ app and everything looks normal there, other than the fact I hate the UI.

I have Smart Switched flawlessly several times in the past and never had anything like this happen. I think it was something with the timing of the two Google Messages apps being live and the SIM swap. Maybe a text coming in at the time Verizon was deregistering one and registering the other?

Any experts know what happened? Is there any hope of getting back to Google Messages with the missing 5 days of texts since the swap, and merging my 'group' chat with Bill into the 'normal' chat so that both sides are shown? I can actually live with the Bill split if I have to, at least nothing was truly was lost there. But as luck would have it I have had a LOT of life happen in texts over the past 5 days, and I don't want to lose that history by returning to Google Messaging.

Love the S24u, btw. I have not had the grain or lines issue with my display that others are reporting.
Verizon Messages+ is going to be discontinued soon. https://community.verizon.com/t5/Ve...age+ is scheduled for,discontinued 12/11/2023.

jmeander

May 16, 2015
Visit site

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Zero interest in Messages+. Very understandable why it's being killed. It had been on my S22 and came over with Smart Switch so I used it for troubleshooting.
I use Verizon, but both my S22 Ultra and S24 Ultra are factory unlocked from Samsung with unlocked firmware. I've never used any Verizon firmware or Verizon apps.

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers regarding your text message problem. I didn't have that happen with Google Messages.

I just mentioned the discontinuation of Verizon Messages+ because of the need for people who use it to find something else very soon.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I had some issues with restoring my Google messages also.

I had several group texts that were fractured into multiple text threads. I even had 3 groups texts that added a new person to the group whom was not in the originals. Every was normal in Samsung messages.

I didn't lose anything current.
Very strange...
I don't have any answers...but I hope you find a way to recover missing texts.

jmeander

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Are logged into your Samsung account and have back up on , the same for Google back up from settings>account and back up? Once these are on go back to Google messages and see if everything shows up
I had both set to auto backup but my Drive was too full so Google hadn't backed up any SMS. Added storage, ran it and shows 611MB of SMS. No change in Google Messaging, still stuck at the last one on Saturday. Does it need time?

jmeander

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Just discovered another chat chain that was split. It's with an Android user who was texting me with RCS enabled last week on my S22. I remember this very distinctly because green bubble folk are few and far between in my world and the typing indicator jumped out at me.

On my S24 he also was split off into a group chat with my number and only his incoming texts display, while mine are in the original contact history.

I have to send my S22u trade-in to Samsung soon; putting off the reset to the last possible minute in case I need to recover something. Wifi is disabled.

Reactions: BEaRebel

MKREdit

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

Huh?

I had this exact problem. Maybe it had to do with the sim not being changed before the transfer I managed to resolve the problem and here's what I did.

1st Your messaging program is not a factor in this so use the app of your choice. 2nd delete all of the messages on your 24. Yes it's a pain and may not be necessary but this is what I did. 3rd I downloaded the samsung smartswitch app for PC onto my pc and set it up accordingly. 4th I transferred only messages from my 22 to the PC. 5th I transferred messages to the 24. Everything came up fine after that. The only thing you'll notice is messages that indicated they were RCS on your 22 now appear to be SMS on your 24 but once you start messaging that will correct itself.

In retrospect my procedure for the transfer should have been swap the sim and then smart switch and it probably would have been seamless.

Reactions: J Dubbs and rvbfan

jmeander

May 16, 2015
Visit site
I had this exact problem. Maybe it had to do with the sim not being changed before the transfer I managed to resolve the problem and here's what I did.

1st Your messaging program is not a factor in this so use the app of your choice. 2nd delete all of the messages on your 24. Yes it's a pain and may not be necessary but this is what I did. 3rd I downloaded the samsung smartswitch app for PC onto my pc and set it up accordingly. 4th I transferred only messages from my 22 to the PC. 5th I transferred messages to the 24. Everything came up fine after that. The only thing you'll notice is messages that indicated they were RCS on your 22 now appear to be SMS on your 24 but once you start messaging that will correct itself.

In retrospect my procedure for the transfer should have been swap the sim and then smart switch and it probably would have been seamless.
While I'm sorry this happened to someone else, I'm cheered to know it wasn't just me.

I agree about the SIM and switch timing. Did you have Google Backup set to back up your SMS on the old device? Before doing anything on my S22 I ran a Google backup but didn't realize my Drive didn't have enough storage space so they never got backed up. SmartSwitch pulled them over.

I finally have Google Messages unstuck and reading new messages that were sent in Samsung Messages since the transfer. I had run a Google backup from my S24 on 2/1 and that didn't help with anything, but after running another Google backup today, I finally have 100% of my messages visible in Google Messages.

Not sure why the second Google backup did the trick, and I still have the issue with fractured conversations with Android folks, but at this point I'm going to stop before I break it again.

(BTW I did install SMS Backup and Restore and had made a backup but didn't have confidence that restoring it would resolve the issue. Glad I waited.)

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail