The "Killer App"...SIP?

Is the future of mobile VoIP here?

• Total voters

starvingmind

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like a boring feature, but I think it has a lot more power than it appears. I don't mean power do do things on your phone...I mean power to change an industry!

What SIP has the power to do is decouple voice service from the data service on a phone. Who needs to shovel piles if cash at a carrier for minutes, if a VoIP carrier can provide unlimited minutes for cheap?

Now...Google has implemented the foundation API's and support in a way that anyone can use them for their own service. Already it may make sense to sign up for a $10 or $20 SIP account to bypass carrier minutes. I may do just this on Dec 16th...I hardly use voice at all...looks like I can get unlimited incoming for $10/month, with 2 cents/min outgoing.

Prediction...what's next? Google Voice over IP.

The wireless carrier is suddenly a dumb IP pipe like Google wants them to be. I'm sure there are people inside Google doing this already...it's a simple matter of software configuration.

I suspect this may be a key reason carriers are dropping unlimited data left and right. They know the future of voice may be in the data pipe...their per minute cash cow could vanish...and the future is now.

WhoIsThis

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Could prove useful if we can go without voice. Of course, the carriers aren't going to like this one. Then again, given the cost of voice each month, it is best to buy a phone at full price and go without voice.

wes008

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Could prove useful if we can go without voice. Of course, the carriers aren't going to like this one. Then again, given the cost of voice each month, it is best to buy a phone at full price and go without voice.

This could be very useful. I may just do this. However, you'd need a texting plan if you still wanted to send and recieve sms and mms. If I could get both of those, I'd definitely switch to VOIP. Also, what about 3G and 4G data? Perhaps a mobile hotspot device?

disgustipated

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I use voip now with my nexus one and sipdroid, i use the gizmo5 account I signed up for ages ago that is set up under my google voice and have gv ringback app call my googlevoice number which goes to sipdroid on my phone. its a little convoluted right now but works great and i cant wait till i have an integrated dialer! sipdroid, while its great at what it does, is just not too simple to use just as a sip client, and its a tad bit ugly. i dont think it uses the noise cancelling mic though so calls on sipdroid always sound a bit washed out and the person im calling can always hear EVERYTHING around me.

montgoss

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Where's the "Future? I already use this" option?
I switched to an unlimited data and text only plan a month after purchasing my Motorola Droid. In other words, I don't have minutes on my plan. It's $55 before discounts. The equivalent (as close as you can get) with minimum voice plan is $90.
Code:
Unlimited data + unlimited text = $55
450 min plan ($40) + 5000 text(no unlmited option anymore??) ($20) + unlimited data ($30) = $90
If I have to use minutes, they charge me $0.25/min... Expensive, but still cheaper even without SIP as long as you use less than 140 minutes ($35 / $0.25 = 140) a month.

I dropped $25 into a SIP account over at voip.ms, installed CSipSimple on my Droid, and do all my calling over SIP (at $0.0105 per minute). For a little extra, voip.ms would provide a real phone number for receiving calls. Me, I just don't answer and call back using SIP if it's someone I want to talk to...

magliotti

May 18, 2010
Visit site
This is great news! However, one of the hardest things for me was finding a VOIP provider that gave out all their SIP configuration and that would also allow to register more than one device at a time. The only VOIP provider that allowed this and had the quality of bigger companies such as Vonage and Packet 8 was VoipYourLife now known as VYL Media. They gave you the ability to have your main number ported and also allowed you to have 2 virtual numbers for free. Out of those virtual numbers you could easily port over your old mobile number and ditch your mobile provider. I don't have VYL anymore so I don't know how business is going with them. This new VOIP option will continue to pickup and it could be the future. Just remember that about 9 years ago no one knew what the hell VOIP was. People would never think of dropping their landlines for VOIP and they did. I really think this is the future and it's only a matter of time before it really picks up speed. This SIP app along with Google Voice is going to be a killer.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You are all assuming that this feature will make it to any device except the Nexus S. Not sure how the European and Asian carriers will feel about it, but this feature is DOA on US Carriers. They may even block the ports if there is too much hacking activity to open it back up again.

And for those who think that large ISP's won't block ports, look at Comacst and VZ both blocking Port 25 on their networks in an attempt to reduce spambots.

I think it would be cool if they left it there, I just don't see it happening.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

BenSWoodruff

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
It needs to be SImPle lol. Otherwise, carriers will still confuse consumers into paying for ridiculous minutes packages. If you have unlimited data btw, you may want to hold onto it :)

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I believe that SIP is the future, and I'm using the Orbtalk Softphone for my SIP. It's excellent. You can transfer, hold and record calls and make conference calls along with DTMF response. It's very easy to use too; simply enter the details of your PBX extension or SIP trunk and you'll be up and running in a matter of seconds. I personally think that this is far better than using a mobile phone in a regular fashion as it is cheaper and there are additional functionalities, allowing the Orbtalk Softphone to function more like a desk phone. This makes it great for when I am out and about attending meetings.

You can get the Softphone from the Google Play store: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=uk.co.orbtalk.sip&token=sl5i7oxO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith