Can Moto G Pro use WiFi calling?

adrianm1

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Vodafone are telling our family that we need to buy three new phones because our Moto G Pro's aren't compatible with WiFi calling:

Your current phone uses 4G for data, but our 3G network for calls and texts. Once our 3G network closes, you will still be able to send texts and make calls using 2G, but you’ll get a better connection by switching to 4G. Don’t worry though – you still have plenty of time, and we’re on hand to help.

This seems daft as WiFi calling has been built into Android since version 6

Google:
Turn on Wi-Fi calling
Important: You may incur additional charges for making calls over Wi-Fi, so check with your mobile service provider for details.

Use a mobile carrier’s Wi-Fi calling
Open the Phone app .
Tap More And then Settings.
Tap Calls.
Tap Wi-Fi calling. If you don't see this option, it’s because your carrier doesn’t support this feature.
You can use Wi-Fi calling without a service on some carriers.
If your carrier doesn't offer Wi-Fi calling, you can still do so through a voice over IP service.

KEY Point: "If you don't see this option, it’s because your carrier doesn’t support this feature."
So it seems to me that this is a tweak needed to be done at their end - nothing to do with our phones being incompatible.
What gives?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I suspect this is similar to how some carriers can be very picky about which phones will work with their network on VoLTE. Carriers can set their own requirements and restrictions for devices. There's probably some technical reason, but sometimes it also comes down to money -- phone manufacturers have to go through some expensive certification procedures in order to get their devices compatible with some carriers. This is one of the things I was able to glean from the Android Bytes podcast (which goes pretty in-depth and technical, but still has lots of interesting tidbits for the casual Android use): https://android-bytes-by-esper.captivate.fm/

adrianm1

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
It's not actually Vodafone this time. I've been posting on Lenovo/Motorola forums and motorola support has responded with:

"Thanks for waiting. We reached out to our team and have confirmed that IMS is disabled for all carriers, including Vodafone, on Moto G Pro phones. So, Wi-Fi Calling and VoLTE will not be possible on UK carriers."

WTF? Most carriers are about to switch off if not already done so (China Mobile, for example, phased out 3G in 2016).

So every single Moto G Pro in the world will revert to the year 1991 until 2G is switched off and then won't be a phone at all. I find this simply incredible. Do we think Motorola are playing fair with this? How could anyone know in 2020 when the phone was launched that 2 years later, they're phones would become paperweights?

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's not actually Vodafone this time. I've been posting on Lenovo/Motorola forums and motorola support has responded with:

WTF? Most carriers are about to switch off if not already done so (China Mobile, for example, phased out 3G in 2016).

So every single Moto G Pro in the world will revert to the year 1991 until 2G is switched off and then won't be a phone at all. I find this simply incredible. Do we think Motorola are playing fair with this? How could anyone know in 2020 when the phone was launched that 2 years later, they're phones would become paperweights?

That's why I only buy Moto phones on clearance pricing as backup phones (like $200 and under ;) ) ... I've liked Moto's ever since my Moto X Pure Edition, but I've learned they're not a phone you should spend a lot of money on. You need to look at them as solid, but cheap phones that won't be supported or future proofed. Basically disposable at a moments notice. But the best ultra cheap phones around :p

adrianm1

Sep 4, 2018
Visit site
Thankfully they were bought at clearance pricing. From the Motorola store on Amazon which now only hawks mobile phone chargers. Anyone smell a rat?
Anyway, as I understand it, Vodafone are keeping 2G alive until at least 2025 by which time we'll have upgraded. The question on my mind now is what will calls be like over 2G. I enabled 2G only and tested texting and calling and it seemed to be usable. We don't do a lot of voice calling. Mainly text. The worry is that coverage might be spottier.