Do YOU think 2.3 is worth the hype?

Do you think Gingerbread is worth the hype?

• Total voters

candroid90

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
It's, without a doubt the best flavor of Android to date. I've played with it and I LOVE it. But of course can't wait for Ice Cream Sandwich. Enjoy your Android :D

Rominucka

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a Froyo based AOSP ROM on my Samsung Droid Charge (in other words, a Nexus S in a Droid Charge body) and had the opportunity to do a "side-by-side" test with my phone and a Nexus S 4G. I cleaned off some app short cuts on the Nexus, switched to a regular wallpaper and rebooted both phones.
The Nexus S rebooted faster than mine but that's where its victories end.

My Charge was smoother when scrolling through home screens and while scrolling through the app drawer. The Charge also transitioned faster and smoother from the app drawer to the home screen. The Nexus was slightly stuttery.

Battery life is another issue. I have no idea how long a Nexus S 4G lasts. It probably lasts longer than mine but if I was stuck with one, I'd probably wish it would die faster rather than have to go through the frustration of dealing with the slow and fragile WiMax signal. 700mhz LTE is a very spoiling experience.

With moderate use, in an LTE fringe area, I get around 14 hours until I hear the 15% battery alarm.

All in all, the only real benefit I can see coming from Gingerbread is a supposed extension of battery life; the rest is just aesthetics really. But I do have a sneaking suspicion that if the phone wasn't originally designed for Gingerbread, you're probably not going to see much improvement with an OTA update. I could be wrong though.

bluer0se1

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of people excited or complaining (depending on wether or not they are getting Gingerbread) Myself being on a Fascinate and waiting for Froyo, who knows. Do you think it is worth the hype?
NO WAY totally ruined my phone that I once loved :-( now nothing works right and I hate the new look....:(

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I think 2.2 was worth the hype. This not so much. 2.2 bought some major features and a better experience. 2.3 bought a better experience and not that much in features IMO.

2.3 for the Droid X1 was worth the hype tho. The changes Moto made to Blur was very nice.

ekz13

May 31, 2010
Visit site
rooted and tweaked ... maybe.... stock unrooted...no... my shift was gold before this.. after GB, constant sense restarts, lag, battery life went to hell... maybe if they fix all the bugs in the release it'll be better, some of the features are decent, however, it's hard to enjoy them when it has all the issues.

Robbie Doo

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about the hype but I like it very much. At least I get to watch my Netflix and make video calls with Skype. As for the tethering, this is how I'm connected now. :)

Silberc

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the phone....Froyo & Motoblur really restricted the dual core capabilities on the ATrix, but with GB It feels way more snappier than before, and just looks cleaner..

I can play Angry Birds in .000000001 seconds now.
:cool: