What are you finding the fold is "better" at than your old phone?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Coming from a Pixel 6 Pro, I was so excited for a shorter/smaller front screen and larger internal screen, but I have to admit, one day in...I'm struggling to find the benefit.

One of the biggest hits to me is that my favorite game on the app store (barely worth mentioning, it's called Match Land, I've played billions of hours for it) won't download to the pixel fold, and it's a core part of my daily routine, so I'm honestly kind of heart broken that I can't play it on here.

All my other apps feel....worse on the big screen for the most part, and holding the big screen open is just not as intuitive for one handed use as holding a normal phone. Apps are largely stretched or just with too much dead space so it takes your eyes longer to move around. Everything on the small screen is great, but the device is SO HEAVY AND DENSE when folded that it feels kind of uncomfortable to hold compared to a normal phone. I find myself still picking up my Pixel 6 Pro to do things because it's just so much more comfortable to hold for most tasks.

I figure I'm just still trying to use it like I used a normal phone, so I'm curious what uses others have for foldables that make it really feel "worth" the extra space. NYT crossword puzzle was nice on the bigger screen, for example, and I like reading Kindle books on it as well by splitting it in two columns like an actual book.

Reactions: FF22

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Coming from a Pixel 6 Pro, I was so excited for a shorter/smaller front screen and larger internal screen, but I have to admit, one day in...I'm struggling to find the benefit.

One of the biggest hits to me is that my favorite game on the app store (barely worth mentioning, it's called Match Land, I've played billions of hours for it) won't download to the pixel fold, and it's a core part of my daily routine, so I'm honestly kind of heart broken that I can't play it on here.

All my other apps feel....worse on the big screen for the most part, and holding the big screen open is just not as intuitive for one handed use as holding a normal phone. Apps are largely stretched or just with too much dead space so it takes your eyes longer to move around. Everything on the small screen is great, but the device is SO HEAVY AND DENSE when folded that it feels kind of uncomfortable to hold compared to a normal phone. I find myself still picking up my Pixel 6 Pro to do things because it's just so much more comfortable to hold for most tasks.

I figure I'm just still trying to use it like I used a normal phone, so I'm curious what uses others have for foldables that make it really feel "worth" the extra space. NYT crossword puzzle was nice on the bigger screen, for example, and I like reading Kindle books on it as well by splitting it in two columns like an actual book.

Thanks for your assessment so far.

As far as that game, you might try sideloading the apk if you can find it or save it from your P6P. I've moved a game ZigZag from from to phone from way back when, It works fine. Just the other day I sideloaded the USPS app which is not available for the P6P and it works without any discernable issues.

Keep providing your perspective. My delivery date has slipped more than two months in just the last two days. If reviews from real users are blah, I might just throw in the towel and stick with the P6P for a while.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

As far as that game, you might try sideloading the apk if you can find it or save it from your P6P. I've moved a game ZigZag from from to phone from way back when, It works fine. Just the other day I sideloaded the USPS app which is not available for the P6P and it works without any discernable issues.

Keep providing your perspective. My delivery date has slipped more than two months in just the last two days. If reviews from real users are blah, I might just throw in the towel and stick with the P6P for a while.

Side loading was a brilliant idea...I hadn't thought of that, but it still didn't work. I got the APK and tried to install and it still says "can't install because not compatible with your device" :(

Honestly...to each their own, but if mine got pushed out to August, and the Pixel 8 was only 2 months away by that point, I'd probably hang onto the Pixel 6P a bit longer, but maybe I'm just being a little extra bitter because of the loss of my game.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
My expectation were very subdued. I expected it to be different not necessarily better. I am jut finishing setup and will have a better grip on its use in a couple days...I'll check back in as I find my daily apps work or fail.

It is a handful.
Nova is first.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

I wonder why USPS doesn't work on the P6P? I use it just fine on my P7P

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Side loading was a brilliant idea...I hadn't thought of that, but it still didn't work. I got the APK and tried to install and it still says "can't install because not compatible with your device" :(

Honestly...to each their own, but if mine got pushed out to August, and the Pixel 8 was only 2 months away by that point, I'd probably hang onto the Pixel 6P a bit longer, but maybe I'm just being a little extra bitter because of the loss of my game.
Actually, just checked and they've moved it another week further out.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I am starting to dig this phone...I'll be using the front screen and catch myself thinking oh this news app or this thing I am browsing for should look better on the big screen...and it does. You tube looks much better on the big screen.

I typically use Pixel Buds but the speakers are louder with good clarity over the Pixel 7 Pro.

Anytime I am away from my laptop this will be a good substitute.

Reactions: aggie

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that your favorite game is not available for this phone. I've used a foldable before so I knew coming in some of the shortcomings such as developers haven't updated apps to fit into foldable devices aspect ..what I'm doing is for those some of the apps that don't scale properly. I'm pairing them with another app while using them with the phone open.. we are hoping that now that Google is on board, maybe some of the developers get on board and get a fix on this issue... As for the phone aesthetics, think you would have to give it a little more time to get used to the weight and feel of the device.. and usage patterns are different with foldables then regular slab phones but again it might not be for everybody...

Reactions: aggie

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I am starting to dig this phone...I'll be using the front screen and catch myself thinking oh this news app or this thing I am browsing for should look better on the big screen...and it does. You tube looks much better on the big screen.

I typically use Pixel Buds but the speakers are louder with good clarity over the Pixel 7 Pro.

Anytime I am away from my laptop this will be a good substitute.
I was kinda iffy on it yesterday. Love the hardware but some of the software quirks have irked me such as not being able to do a separate home screen layout for the big screen than the front screen. I've had all the Samsung Fold iterations and that's one thing that I just can't figure out why Google would exclude. The apps, well I am used to the apps not being optimized for foldables. Hopefully with Google now on board developers will have a little more incentive to move forward. Foldables may not be THE future but they are very much a big part of the future of mobile devices.

Using it more throughout the day to day I'm starting to love it. The camera is far better than the one on my Fold 4 but I use that S-Pen so much that it's going to take some getting used to not having it. I am very much a Pixel guy as far as software goes so I do like it better than my Fold despite it perhaps not being quite as capable overall. I usually run the Fold 4 on my work line and the iPhone 14 PM or S23 Ultra on my personal line with it mostly being the 14PM during the week and S23U on the weekends. ZF4 is being traded in and will probably put the S23U on my business line and PFold on my personal. Just gotta untie myself from iMessage again lol

So far, the battery has been much better for me than what most reviewers have stated. Out of the box it was of course terrible while setting everything up, but it has since settled down and looks like I'm on pace for about 6 hours SOT. I'm on AT&T in the Dallas area with excellent reception most of the time. Carrier, reception, and location will of course cause SOT to vary.

Overall I think this is a winner as long as Google properly supports it and improves the foldable software experience going forward via updates.

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I was kinda iffy on it yesterday. Love the hardware but some of the software quirks have irked me such as not being able to do a separate home screen layout for the big screen than the front screen. I've had all the Samsung Fold iterations and that's one thing that I just can't figure out why Google would exclude. The apps, well I am used to the apps not being optimized for foldables. Hopefully with Google now on board developers will have a little more incentive to move forward. Foldables may not be THE future but they are very much a big part of the future of mobile devices.

Using it more throughout the day to day I'm starting to love it. The camera is far better than the one on my Fold 4 but I use that S-Pen so much that it's going to take some getting used to not having it. I am very much a Pixel guy as far as software goes so I do like it better than my Fold despite it perhaps not being quite as capable overall. I usually run the Fold 4 on my work line and the iPhone 14 PM or S23 Ultra on my personal line with it mostly being the 14PM during the week and S23U on the weekends. ZF4 is being traded in and will probably put the S23U on my business line and PFold on my personal. Just gotta untie myself from iMessage again lol

So far, the battery has been much better for me than what most reviewers have stated. Out of the box it was of course terrible while setting everything up, but it has since settled down and looks like I'm on pace for about 6 hours SOT. I'm on AT&T in the Dallas area with excellent reception most of the time. Carrier, reception, and location will of course cause SOT to vary.

Overall I think this is a winner as long as Google properly supports it and improves the foldable software experience going forward via updates.
By chance is your fold on ATT 5 G +? Assume you have the + in Dallas. I had the 7 Pro but took it back cause ATT could not get it on 5 G +.

slbailey1

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
By chance is your fold on ATT 5 G +? Assume you have the + in Dallas. I had the 7 Pro but took it back cause ATT could not get it on 5 G +.
If you got the July security update, that could explain your battery life improvements. Also that update should reduce the heating problems. There is an article on this side about the July update.