Good news for Tablets

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's some info about Android gaining market share on Apple in Q2. Thought it was interesting.

Apple Loses Tablet OS Share in Q2, Android Picks it Up | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

This seems to meet with expectations for this year with the new Tablet offerings. Hopefully this will act as encouragement for developers.
This is definitely good to hear, but it's still very important to highlight the difference between units sold and units shipped, as pointed out in the article.

My prediction is that Honeycomb will build awareness of Android-based tablets and how to use them, while the large increase in market share will come when Android 4.0 tablets come around with high-end screens, Tegra 3-level processors, LTE connectivity options, and applications such as Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc. supported out-of-the-box.

I have high hopes of Ice Cream Sandwich..

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yes! Good news. You know what did it? A properly priced Asus Transformer. They're shipping almost 500,000 of those a month!

rsix

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely good to hear, but it's still very important to highlight the difference between units sold and units shipped, as pointed out in the article.

My prediction is that Honeycomb will build awareness of Android-based tablets and how to use them, while the large increase in market share will come when Android 4.0 tablets come around with high-end screens, Tegra 3-level processors, LTE connectivity options, and applications such as Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc. supported out-of-the-box.

I have high hopes of Ice Cream Sandwich..
Yes it's important to look at this in that context. Units shipped is a good indicator of success. While we probably wont see the explosive growth Android saw in the phone market, steady year by year market penetration is more than fine with me.

Android is about choice, it's nice to see the difference between the tabs that are shipping now.

rw0749

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Units shipped is a valuable marketing tool, however if the retailers have a VERY LARGE inventory of cetain devices, then the units shipped isn't valuable at all... In fact if you will notice the Asus has reduced their prices under a "special" at Best Buy and Target to help drive sales.. None of the tablet producers have kept pace with the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet "sales"..but Samsungs direct competition is the Ipad not the other thicker heavier tablets...All added together, the android tablet producers present a VERY fromidible force against the Ipad2

drethos

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
As long as I see something gaining over apples ios products I'm happy. I never could figure out the draw to ios products.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress