Your eReward certif is only good for phone stuff. Samsung Stinks.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Pre-ordered the s10 late enough so I got the $130 e-reward because they were out of galaxy buds by then. In the 2-week period I had to wait to actually get my e-reward number (after my phone return window passed) I read enough poor reviews about the buds that I changed my mind.

I have decent buds already (Anker Zolo Liberty+) and decided I needed a new tablet instead. Cool, I would just use the e-reward towards purchasing the new Galaxy Tab s5e. Went to pre-order it this morning, had it in the cart, put in the e-reward number in the promo code box and was told the code was invalid. Got an online chat going and after 5 minutes of being shuffled between reps I got to one who told me the code was meant for the buds, so was only good for phones or mobile accessories.

Samsung could have made it easy for a customer to purchase anything on Samsung.com and maybe something more expensive, like this tablet, so the customer is actually spending more money overall. And perhaps buying a new Samsung device that gets the customer more locked into the Samsung ecosystem (like the tablet). Nope, they restricted it phones, the buds, and I guess cables/charging pads/cases. Don't need any of that stuff. So now they spent time and money by having employees figure this out to tell me (and there will be a lot more like me) no, and I am really aggravated.

They could have given the message of, "Sorry for the inconvenience of having to wait weeks longer for the buds, here is this code that will let you get the buds for free or anything else you want in our online store." Instead they were completely unclear about how the e-reward could be spent, so now I just ended up waiting a lot longer and am frustrated.

Not spending $400 on an Android tablet. I suppose I will try selling the buds on ebay, and if I can get around $80-$90 after fees I might still consider it. I see some auctions right now where bids are coming in around $125. We'll see when I actually get these buds (early May) if they are still going for that much.

Other option is to get the new iPad for $279, which I'm seriously considering. It would make it easier to switch to an iPhone and I know it will have a wider selection of apps.

Extra aggravating thing is, the freakin' tablets are listed twice under the "mobile" category.

screencap.jpg

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Aaaand I cooled down and changed my mind. Worst case I net $80 after fees/shipping to sell the buds on ebay, and net $40 for selling the smart things hub that comes with the pre-order (ain't gonna use it). And they will apparently take any old crappy Android tablet for minimum $25 trade-in credit (yeah I know, gambling on that one), so I am trading in an old Lenovo hunk of junk that barely works but I have kept around and charged up.

Net worst case reduction in purchase price is $140 (if I'm lucky it may be better) bringing down my final purchase price to $255. Samsung is making it hard to turn away from the financial argument with the pre-order freebies and the trade-in credits. If they keep doing this I'll be annually trading in my phone and my tablet to keep upgrading to the newest thing they put out.

Last edited:

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
B&H Photo is also taking orders for the Galaxy Tablet S5e, and they are also offering the same free smart things hub promo that you can get directly from Samsung--but they don't charge shipping and they don't collect sales tax.

I have my order in, $399 all up all in.

I chose not to gamble on the tablet trade-in, and that's what ultimately led me to B&H.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
B&H Photo is also taking orders for the Galaxy Tablet S5e, and they are also offering the same free smart things hub promo that you can get directly from Samsung--but they don't charge shipping and they don't collect sales tax.

I have my order in, $399 all up all in.

I chose not to gamble on the tablet trade-in, and that's what ultimately led me to B&H.

Huh, I'll need to remember that for next time. My sales tax from ordering through Samsung was actually $2 more than the value of the trade-in, so this would have been better. Putting a reminder on my calendar for March/April next year, thanks!