Angry Birds Star Wars wont start on my HKC with Andriod 4.0

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I just received this from HKC

We do not recommend doing the update until we have released our latest version. Our newest update of the firmware including fixing the problem caused by angry birds as well as freeing up some storage space on the tablet. The tablet should also run nicer along with a cool little feature that shows when the tablet is charging by displaying a charging icon.

The update will be up by next week and if not it should be up by the first week of January.

Best Regards,

HKC Support Team
HKC | Touch The Wonderful World
1-888-999-1683

I checked their site but there doesn't seem to be any way to tell if the update they have posted is the one we need, or the "old" one.

morgan_drinker

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Via Amazon app store i can get angry birds original to play, but none of the others will work. I just did an hkc update again, which was posted that it would be a fix for this issue, but it did not correct the problem. So, the issue continues, kids are upset.

edonthehead

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
so did you notice if the udate had changed the software or was it all the same as before. i wrote mine down and going to double check the info after the down load to see if it realy is an update. and how long did it take to update seems like forever.

morgan_drinker

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I did not write the version info down this time when i did the update so cannot say for sure that an update applied. I also did not compare to the other two i have that i did not upgrade. Update took about 5minutes once started. I did see a post somewhere, maybe even here, about finding an old installation of the angry birds games and installing those manually outside the play store, and not allowing them to update, but i have not looked for or tried this yet.

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I received this email from HKC yesterday.

Please download the file for below ftp link. Un-zip the image and copy to tablet PC?s download folder, follow the firmware update procedure from HKC | Touch The Wonderful World
ftp://ESI:P771A@68.15.66.212/P771A/wallmart/v402.012.zip

Download the IMG file. Transfer file into tablet (plug into computer using USB slot).
Tablet will be called p771a -> NANDFLASH ->Downloads
Once it is in downloads transfer file into Internal memory. Install restart and update should work.

Update procedure is available as mentioned above at our website. If this solution does not work for you we apologize as we are still working on uploading the update. There are 2 different tablets and 2 different versions of the firmware so we are preventing people from downloading the wrong update.

Best Regards,

HKC Support Team
HKC | Touch The Wonderful World
1-888-999-1683

I downloaded the update, unzipped it and transfered the update.img to a sd card and did the update. Both tablets now run ALL angry birds games without a hitch. The update process takes about 10-15 minutes and it should show that you are running build 4.02.012. If it asks for a username and password enter ESI for the user name and P771A as the password. Enjoy!

bookletgeo

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded and installed the update from HKC, and deleted and downloaded again the Angry Birds app from the Amazon App store and it still refuses to play. Now what?

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Did you download it from the link I posted above? If not try that. It will be a zip file. Unzip it and copy the update.img to a blank microsd card. With the tablet turned on, insert the sd card. After a few seconds it should recognize the update and ask if you want to install it. Then just sit back and wait 10-15 minutes. If the update took, your build number (settings - about tablet) will end in 4.02.012. According to HTC the update from the website isn't the correct one. Right now the only way to get the right one is to download it from their ftp site which I linked above. The username for the ftp is ESI, password is P771A

Terrence Bracken

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
kidsmakeyoucrazy - thanks for replying and clearing that up. i didn't catch that you had linked the download and assumed the website had it. I will give it a try tonight. my kids just asked me again this morning when I would have his tablet working. He really wants to play Angry Birds Star Wars.

not sure why hkc is having such a difficult time uploading the update to the website. that does not instill much faith in this company or the product.

unrelated: One of my kids have somehow damaged their tablet, and were't even a full month of ownership. I went to put it on the charger and found a decent sized chip in the screen, fortunately not on the viewable portion, more near the buttons on the corner. It was also split open along the seam. i was able to just snap it back together, and the touchscreen is continuing to work. I have the Walmart warranty, and just found out they have the HKC in stock again, so maybe I will be exchanging it.

phemmett

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand what to do once i download the file on my laptop. I unzipped it and how do i transfer it with my usb cable to the device. I have tried but its not working... not computer savey.. trying

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand what to do once i download the file on my laptop. I unzipped it and how do i transfer it with my usb cable to the device. I have tried but its not working... not computer savey.. trying
The easiest way to install the update is to copy the update.img file to a micro sd card and insert that into the tablet. If you don't have a micro sd card then you will need to mount the tablet's internal storage as usb storage and then copy the file over to it. I don't remember the exact steps to mount the storage, but I'll hook my kids tablet up when I get home and try to write up a step by step to update it without an sd card.

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I finally had a chance to hook up my kids tablet via usb. Here's the procedure.

1. Download the update file from here ftp://ESI:P771A@68.15.66.212/P771A/wallmart/v402.012.zip
The if prompted for a username and password, the username is ESI The password is P711A

2. Unzip the update file. You should see another file inside it named update.img

3. Connect your tablet to the computer with the usb cable. MAKE SURE that you have it plugged into the port on the tablet that is labeled USB, NOT the port labeled Host. There are 2 usb ports on this tablet, but one of them is "host" usb for connecting things like keyboards and external storage...that one will not work. It has to be the port labled USB. Both ports are labeled on the back of the tablet. Once connected, your computer should automatically recognize the tablet as a MTP device.

4. If you open the "computer" or "My Computer" icon on your computer, you should see a new MTP device listed. It will be named P771A. Copy the update.img file to this device. Do not place it inside of a folder on the device. Place it in the root.

5. Once copied, disconnect the tablet and hold the power button until it asks if you want to turn it off. Say yes. Now turn the tablet back on. After a few minutes it should find the update and ask if you want to install it. Again, say yes and sit back for 10-15 minutes.

One other tip. In my experience with previous android devices, sometimes they simply refuse to apply an update from internal storage, so if this doesn't work, use a micro sd card and copy the update.img to that and stick it in the sd card slot on the tablet. You probably have one in your phone or mp3 player etc. That will work just fine.

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
One more thing. I just saw on another site that the update from the tablet (settings - about tablet - check for updates) is now working....but it's a convoluted process. You have to download the update, then copy it from the download folder on the tablet to root....I think it's easier to do it the way I posted above.

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
After I unzip the file I cant get it to open?
After you unzip the file, you do NOT try to open it, just copy / paste it to either an sd card or the internal storage of the tablet.

You can also update directly from the tablet now by following the instructions here Upgrade Your Tablet | HKC . But honestly, if you don't know your way around Android devices it's easier to follow the instructions I posted above. Download to your computer, unzip, COPY the img file (right click, copy...right click, paste) to a sd card or the internal storage and go from there. If you want to try to do the upgrade from the tablet itself do this:

It's pretty obvious that the instructions on HKC's site weren't written by someone who speaks fluent english though, so I'll try to re-translate it.

1. Click the all apps button, find the settings app. Run it
2. Scroll down the left side of the screen until you see "About tablet", press it.
3. At the top right of the screen you will see "System Updates", press it.
4. Your browser will open and you will see 2 pictures, one that says 8gb, one that says 16gb. If you bought this at Walmart you have the 8gb tablet. Press the 8gb picture and HOLD until a menu pops up. Choose "Save link" from the menu.
5. The download from the tablet is about 340mb so it will take a while to download. Just keep an eye on the notification bar at the bottom of the tablet. When it is finished, do not try to open the file. Instead, press the all apps button again and look for the explorer app. Open it. You will see several items listed in the explorer app. Choose "Internal Memory".
6. Scroll down until you see the Download folder, press it.
7. You will see the update.img file. Press on it and HOLD until a menu pops up. Choose "Move".
8. Press the "Level Up" button once.
9. At the top of the screen where you see Home, level up etc, scroll to the left / right until you see "Editor". Press it and choose Paste.
10. Now exit the app and restart your tablet.

Like I said, unless you are familiar with Android devices I would NOT try this method, and would instead use one of the two methods I described above.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer