Why can't Google Voice forward calls to Android Google Talk app?

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
We all know GV can forward incoming calls to Google chat linked to the same gmail account. It will ring gmail on PC.

Why can't it forward to Google Talk app in android devices? Why do we have to use 3rd party apps such as Groove IP? Is it because Google is afraid of carriers?

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
We all know GV can forward incoming calls to Google chat linked to the same gmail account. It will ring gmail on PC.

Why can't it forward to Google Talk app in android devices? Why do we have to use 3rd party apps such as Groove IP? Is it because Google is afraid of carriers?

because of carriers, yes, They want to make more money.

google is trying to balance between carriers and android.

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That is a good question. I wondered that about myself after I got my Nexus 7. The first time I downloaded it I couldn't get it to do anything at all. This last time I got it to actually forward to Google Talk. But, that is not of much use since I have to be in front of my computer to use Google Talk.

Luckily I was hunting around Google and found a video how to for using Talkatone. It works for me. I am gonna download some of the other apps as well so I can make a comparison and see which works best.

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
There is a speculation that Google will implement this once they offer wireless data service.

If you are resourceful, you can rely on VoIP 100%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

G-Money713

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been using GrooVe IP for almost 2 years now. It is not perfect, but damn good. Works on my N10, S2, and OG Droid.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have been using GrooVe IP for almost 2 years now. It is not perfect, but damn good. Works on my N10, S2, and OG Droid.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Groove IP is a battery hog and uses PCMU, which is not suitable for 3g connection. Can we stick to discussion on receiving GV calls in the native Google Talk app in android?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Groove IP is a battery hog and uses PCMU, which is not suitable for 3g connection. Can we stick to discussion on receiving GV calls in the native Google Talk app in android?

The native Google Talk app on Android is not a VoIP app. It is merely an instant messaging app. (It's also used behind the scenes for several other Google app services.)

To do what you want, several things would have to happen:

1. Google would need to rewrite the Google Talk app so that it adds VoIP functionality.

2. Google would need to update the Google Voice app on Android so that it could interface with the Google Talk app.

3. Google would have to modify the Google Voice service so that it could forward to the Google Talk service on an Android device... and differentiate between forwarding to a cellular number versus forwarding to a VoIP client.

4. Making those changes would undoubtedly break any 3rd-party apps that interface with Google Talk or Google Voice. So new APIs would need to be published for devs to be able to update their apps accordingly.

Not that it wouldn't be a nice feature to have as part of the OS, but I wouldn't expect it to happen overnight. It would most certainly alienate the carriers. I'm sure they would do everything they could to disable it or block it.

Personally, I don't have a need for VoIP via my cell. I have unlimited talk minutes anyway. I suppose there is a use case if you're without a cell signal in a basement or building and want to use WiFi to make/receive calls.

Anyway, my point is it wouldn't be a trivial matter to implement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38