Troubleshooting Poor Battery Life

Joe Btfsplk

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm the usual new device (Nexus 7) buyer who charged off in all directions simultaneously, provisioning my tablet with apps and customizing practically everything.

During that process I found that my battery life became totally unacceptable. Just sitting overnight the device lost about 30% of its charge. My main purpose for the device is flying, where the flight planning app eats about 10-15%/hour, so this huge battery drain effectively meant that I had to fully charge the tablet on the day of a flight. A time consuming hassle. (or plug it in and drape a cable in the cockpit, another hassle)

Here is the short version of what I learned: Innocent-looking apps can cause big problems. One, called "Animated Analog Clock" caused the CPU to run more or less continually at 340MHZ and to never sleep. Another, Yelp. checked in with the mother ship every 40 minutes all night long, again keeping the CPU awake. Finally, Google's spying-by-default caused Google Maps to report my tablet's location regularly to the detriment of battery life.

Having dealt with those problems, last night my tablet went the whole night in "Deep Sleep" and used a whopping 2% of the battery.

So, the moral of the story is that to solve a battery discharge problem, you have to trouble-shoot your apps very carefully. As I said, this is the short version. I'm posting it here because I benefited from these forums while I was figuring out this problem and I'd like to pay back. If several of you are interested in the gory detail of what I did and what tools I used -- a much longer post -- just let me know via this thread and I'll put in the effort to write it up.

Verttex

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
As most of us know, the stock battery stats sucks. A lot. There are many alternatives on the Play Store that can watch app's usage and report when it gets to high.
I use an Epic 4g, and the 3g chip inside of it drains battery like crazy, so I have researched this topic a lot.
My current apps for battery usage watching are:
Main 3g Switch off: JuiceDefender. I love this app. It is probably the reason I can use my phone through a day of school and not go below 30%

Battery Watcher: Battery Stats Plus. This app has lots of features that are great for tracking the apps that are potentional battery drains
Jg5oF--7pat_eJ8FLz277oGD8oOU2lOz5QItYs0BuUa1jyoSY-qKsmDw7emaTYO1f2w

CPU Watcher: CPU Spy. Very simple, very helpful.

I hope these apps can help you.

Verttex

Joe Btfsplk

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually, looking at apps' battery usage will not smoke out the kind of problems that were eating up my battery. The actual processor time consumed by the app may be quite small, but its effect can be to keep the device from going to sleep, which affects battery life big time. The "awake" state will result in a large amount of time showing not for the guilty app but rather for "Android OS." As a result both the Juice Defender battery graphing app and CPU Spy are useful in identifying the symptoms, but not their cause.

Verttex

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually, looking at apps' battery usage will not smoke out the kind of problems that were eating up my battery. The actual processor time consumed by the app may be quite small, but its effect can be to keep the device from going to sleep, which affects battery life big time. The "awake" state will result in a large amount of time showing not for the guilty app but rather for "Android OS." As a result both the Juice Defender battery graphing app and CPU Spy are useful in identifying the symptoms, but not their cause.
Maybe check your app history and start to uninstall one a day until it works?

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
PLease do list the apps and ways you went about deciding what was the root cause of your power drains. I'm new to this, coming over from Windows, and have been trying to figure these things out with my new device as well.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non