Evo LTE invisible to computer; can't send commands to root

Charlie McDaniel

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I am on my third Evo 4G LTE. The first was defective from the start with screen issues, and after bending the charging port I decided to get it swapped out. The second one was the best one. I achieved full s-off, installed Jellybam, and was having a grand old time with it before it decided to just die. I think a voltage spike from my previous motherboard (that had to be RMA'd) killed it, but it would not turn on or charge or respond in any way.

The one I'm on now works great and all, it's just that from the moment I got it, I couldn't mount it as a USB device on my computer. I also couldn't send any commands to it from my computer to root it at all. There has been no physical damage to it, it has been in an Otterbox from the moment it came out of its own box. I've noticed that this third one has a newer software version; 3.16. Is this a bug with this version? It's really frustrating and I've been living with it for a while, but after installing Jellybam on a Galaxy S3 I've become homesick again.

Another bit, the phone itself will not always acknowledge that it has been connected to a computer by USB. Sometimes it does. It will show the options to change between things like charge only or disk drive, but they do absolutely nothing and even when the phone is unplugged the options don't go away.