Ringtone selection gets stuck on "loading..."

Carlos Simmerling

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC One running 4.1.2. My ringtone selection from settings/sound used to work fine, and just showed a couple dozen HTC choices. Recently, I installed a 3rd party ringtone app, then removed it because it didn't do what I wanted. Now, when I set ringtones in settings, I get "loading..." for a long time. Sometimes it will finally give me choices, and the list is very long with my entire music library as options. No wonder it's so slow. How did this happen? Can I somehow change a setting to have it only index the HTC ringtones? Did links to my mp3s get put in a folder of ringtones that need to be deleted? I've looked around a bit in the android folders but don't see anything obvious. Help is appreciated!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes sounds like that 3rd party app really caused a headache.

I wouldn't be concerned with new links being created within /system/media/ringtones/ level because that is protected by root access and not an area touched by an 3rd party application in regards to being modified. However I would look on your sdcard (internal storage) of the HTC One and there should be a Ringtones or Media folder located there, check and make sure there hasn't been stuff loaded up in there...

Otherwise I'm out of suggestions as to what could be going on...

Worst case situation... Factory reset but I would save that as a last resort.