Question Multiple apps stuck on loading when entering account details

TripleM

May 14, 2023
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy A11 running Android 12, nearly 3 years old.

A while ago I installed an app (rova, a New Zealand radio app). It got me to register with email, etc, and all worked fine. However, several months later the app began acting up; e.g. being stuck showing a loading indicator on the opening screen. Clearing the apps data and trying again allowed it to load straight away, but then the app kept hanging during the sign in/registration steps. I would try reregistering; enter my email, push submit, indefinite pause with loading spinner. Close app, reopen, this time get past email but fill in some more fields, indefinite pause. The app wouldn't hang as such - I could press the back button to go back a step - just show loading and not move on. Eventually I figured out that if I leave it for around 10-15 minutes it would progress and I'd finally get in to use it. But the next day, same thing. I put it down to a buggy app and moved on.

Yesterday I installed a different app (Tend, another NZ app for healthcare) and have been experiencing identical issues - enter email; loading... quit, try again, get past that to enter a phone number, loading... quit, try again, app stuck on intro screen... etc.

It feels like the phone is hanging reading or writing from storage as clearing the app's cache/data always lets me straight in again, but I haven't been able to get through the entire registration process.

I have tried clearing My Files data, removing unused apps (plenty of storage space available), reinstalling the app(s), rebooting the phone, and lastly wiping the cache partition.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am a web developer - no knowledge of Android at all, but in the sense that when there is an issue I like to debug it, but I have no idea how to even find out what the phone is trying to do while it's loading.

Factory reset is of course a last resort but I'm hoping there are other steps to try first.

TripleM

May 14, 2023
Visit site
Yep, just tested disabling wifi, clearing the data again, and it has been loading after simply entering my email for 4 minutes so far.

This morning (on wifi) I left it loading on the email address, the phone went to sleep as normal, but when I went back 15 minutes later it had moved onto the next screen (which was what was happening with the other app as well) - so it seems eventually whatever is hanging does time out and let me continue to the next step. But keeps reoccuring.

TripleM

May 14, 2023
Visit site
Yes, I've checked the versions and also tried reinstalling the apps. The last app couldn't find any issues; I have reached out to the new one and am waiting to hear back, but given they are both highly used here and there are no widespread reported issues, it seems the only thing that connects the two apps not working in the same way is my phone.

Is there any way of all of debugging what is happening at the point it is hanging on the loading icon?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I've checked the versions and also tried reinstalling the apps. The last app couldn't find any issues; I have reached out to the new one and am waiting to hear back, but given they are both highly used here and there are no widespread reported issues, it seems the only thing that connects the two apps not working in the same way is my phone.

Is there any way of all of debugging what is happening at the point it is hanging on the loading icon?
So far the reasons I can think of for hanging on loading especially 2 3rd party apps and not others or native ones on the device could be internet issues, you said no VPN so make sure no app cleaner's, ad guards and Malwarebytes.

Can go into recovery and see if you have options to repair apps and also clear cache

Try resetting network on the device in settings>general management>reset>reset network will have to put WiFi password and Bluetooth devices again.

Or could be app related issues on newer version of it or needs a update if on older