Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Gekko
  • 1 Post By djm7541
  • 1 Post By chadthebuilder
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default rumors have it...

There will be active notifications in 4.4.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: rumors have it...

descriptive thread titles are better than vague ones.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm sorry, you have the wrong thread sir. I didn't post this in the "how to write a descriptive title" thread.

But it's true, if everyone used non-descriptive titles for every thread, the forum would be less easy to read. Seeing how you gave such a lousy subject title, why not mention it here ? Then everybody that needs to can learn from your bad example.
    jrvtecaccord likes this.

What are "active notifications?" Could you mean Active Display? If so, then rumor has it Active Display is already running on Android 4.3 devices, namely the Moto X.

Was anyone expecting the feature to disappear by 4.4?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by djm7541 View Post
    But it's true, if everyone used non-descriptive titles for every thread, the forum would be less easy to read. Seeing how you gave such a lousy subject title, why not mention it here ? Then everybody that needs to can learn from your bad example.
    Wouldn't that be a good example then? Of what not to do. No one learns from bad examples.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    What are "active notifications?" Could you mean Active Display? If so, then rumor has it Active Display is already running on Android 4.3 devices, namely the Moto X.

Was anyone expecting the feature to disappear by 4.4?
    I'm referring to active notifications/active display. They go hand in hand. I know there's a phone called the moto x in which this feature debuted on. And its not baked into stock android, that was Motorola's addition to the software. Doesn't mean it'll be on 4.4. Which is where this rumor comes into play.

Quote Originally Posted by mchockeyvette27 View Post
    I'm referring to active notifications/active display. They go hand in hand. I know there's a phone called the moto x in which this feature debuted on. And its not baked into stock android, that was Motorola's addition to the software. Doesn't mean it'll be on 4.4. Which is where this rumor comes into play.

Active Display is as much hardware as it is software; not every Android device could run it quite like the X can.

Outside your nondescript forum post, would you like to source this "rumor?"
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    Active Display is as much hardware as it is software; not every Android device could run it quite like the X can.

Outside your nondescript forum post, would you like to source this "rumor?"
    Yeah you're right.

I see, so it makes sense.

Is it something to do with the display?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Stuartglossop View Post
    Is it something to do with the display?

Yes. It needs to be an AMOLED display. On IPS displays, it would cause too much battery consumption.

Sent from the awesome new Nexus 7
    Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!

So the Nexus 7 and the new nexus 5 wouldn't be much good!

Quote Originally Posted by chadthebuilder View Post
    Yes. It needs to be an AMOLED display. On IPS displays, it would cause too much battery consumption.

But they could still potentially run it though, right? Its not restricted to just amoled screens?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

"rumors have it..."

that J.J. Abrams is likely to frak up the Star Wars franchise even worse than George Lucas;
    that Android 4.4 may debut later this year or early next year;
    that the government shutdown really won't accomplish very much;
    that Linux is slowly taking over the tech world and is essentially already the dominant player in many areas;
    that the Eagles never broke up: they simply took a 14 year vacation;
    Gatchaman was the forerunner to many show concepts seen in many other such shows over the last two to three decades.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    "rumors have it..."

that J.J. Abrams is likely to frak up the Star Wars franchise even worse than George Lucas;
    that Android 4.4 may debut later this year or early next year;
    that the government shutdown really won't accomplish very much;
    that Linux is slowly taking over the tech world and is essentially already the dominant player in many areas;
    that the Eagles never broke up: they simply took a 14 year vacation;
    Gatchaman was the forerunner to many show concepts seen in many other such shows over the last two to three decades.
    Thank you. A rumor is just a rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by kawana72 View Post
    But they could still potentially run it though, right? Its not restricted to just amoled screens?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    It absolutely could. It would just be a huge battery drain. IPS displays must have a backlight in order to run the screen. It doesn't matter if one pixel has something on it, or all of them have something on it. It will take the same amount of battery to do it. AMOLED screens turn individual pixels off when not in use, since each pixel creates its own light. That is why they produce such good blacks (black on your screen means that pixel is off) It also allows AMOLED screens to so things such as active display, since only a few pixels are turning on, thus minimizing battery drain.

Be sure and hit the thanks button if anything I said was helpful to you!
    Thanked by:
    Stuartglossop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chadthebuilder View Post
    It absolutely could. It would just be a huge battery drain. IPS displays must have a backlight in order to run the screen. It doesn't matter if one pixel has something on it, or all of them have something on it. It will take the same amount of battery to do it. AMOLED screens turn individual pixels off when not in use, since each pixel creates its own light. That is why they produce such good blacks (black on your screen means that pixel is off) It also allows AMOLED screens to so things such as active display, since only a few pixels are turning on, thus minimizing battery drain.

Maybe something like Dashclock would be better?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2