KitKat Hangouts SMS As Default?

Steven Brand

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I was wondering, I know Hangouts is the default SMS app in KitKat.
However on the Nexus 5, would there be a way to disable SMS and use the messaging app (I've heard kit at got rid of the
messaging app)? Without downloading a third party equivalent?

I use hangouts and messaging apps for different purposes, and would like two different apps (for privacy too, and
hangouts is my social chat app).

Is there a Nexus 5/KitKat Hangouts app?

Thanks,
Steven

Sent from my GS4

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes you are correct in saying on 4.4 they are merged. You would require a 3rd party app - running the new Hangout on my nexus 4 it is apparent you can have them seperately as it asked if i wanted to use it for SMS. On 4.4 I am not sure of the case but i presume it will be similar.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
u have to install third party app and set it to default for SMS and thats it...

I looked at the developer document for SMS. SMS app wont come with N5 by default.

I really hope they remove it on N4

Last edited:

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
+1 being using hangout as default messenger for the past fee days its great. Only issue I find is messaging a number I don't have in contacts I can't figure where to type it in.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
To message a number that isn't in your contacts, tap the + sign on the main Hangouts screen and on the next screen just type the number you want to message into the box at the top (above your favorites or frequents, whichever that is). It should come up with a list of options, one is to send an SMS to that number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa