Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android 4.4's launcher not installed correctly on Nexus 4

Installed the OTA 4.4 update for Nexus 4 earlier, which went fine except it didn't include the home launcher. So I just installed that separately except it doesn't appear to have worked correctly. The bars are not transparent when the phone is locked, and I'm sure that's not the only thing that shouldn't be different. Any help on how to get the launcher completely working? (I'd take screenshots but that function isn't working...)

Global Posts
    7,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Android 4.4's launcher not installed correctly on Nexus 4

The factory 4.4 update on the Nexus 4 doesn't include that feature. If you found the Nexus 5 launcher and sideloaded/installed that, and still don't have those features, then it could be an issue with the .apk you found.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

The lock screen is separate from the home screen.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)

Same here. Loaded both from xda: [APPS][4.1+] Google Experience Launcher (GEL App + Google Search App) - xda-developers.

The icons are larger and i can swipe left for google now but none of the other features are present. Can i uninstall them and try again
    The "infraction"

Make sure your Google Search app is the most current before installing GEL. Should be 3.1.8.914827

Posted via Android Central App on my white Nexus 4 with StraightTalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    The factory 4.4 update on the Nexus 4 doesn't include that feature. If you found the Nexus 5 launcher and sideloaded/installed that, and still don't have those features, then it could be an issue with the .apk you found.
    I might have installed a fan's attempt at replicating the N5 launcher on N4 rather than the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ajpri View Post
    The lock screen is separate from the home screen.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)
    I've seen videos of the Nexus 4 with Android 4.4 where the lock screen bars have also been transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMike901 View Post
    Make sure your Google Search app is the most current before installing GEL. Should be 3.1.8.914827

Posted via Android Central App on my white Nexus 4 with StraightTalk
    I definitely have that version (the latest).

There is no issue, you are asking for something that Google has never made for the Nexus 4. The Google launcher is for the N5 only, and it only affect the home screen, the lockscreen is separate. The videos you see on youtube with the transparent lockscreen are running root with modification or custom roms.

You can flash the modified framework to make lockscreen transparent if you want.