how come every screen recording app for Android needs root?

Ralph Bromley

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
That's one really frustrating thing in the Android ecosystem its the fact that every last screen recording application needs root access to work I can screen record in my computer using Linux or Windows or Mac but not on Android this is a very frustrating thing for me as I would like to record my sessions for demonstration purposes it's very awful that Android needs root just to do something so simple does ios need root access four screen recording i don't know i don't use ios but it's very apparent that this is a feature android seriously needs

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Mobile phones are very different from PC/Macs. And yes, iOS doesn't allow screen recording without jailbreak (the iEquivalent of root).

It's a security issue.

You can 'cast' your screen onto your PC or a TV or a DVR or something similar and record from there.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
When I had my first-gen Motorola Droid, the only way to get a screenshot was to plug into the computer and use the ADB tools or the GUI (or whatever it was, it seems like it was a LONG time ago) and grab the screenshot through the computer that way. Does this no longer work? I did it using a Windows computer, I no longer have one of those (that I'm willing to install that stuff on) to try this with my Moto X.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think you can still do it that way since it's a developer tool, but you can't do it directly on the phone without rooting.