Has Lollipop slowed my Nexus 4?

Invisible Hand

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Lollipop is slow on Nexus 4

I updated my Nexus 4 (unlocked, purchased from Google Play in early 2013) to Lollipop a couple days ago, and it seems to be running much more slowly now. Apps take longer to load than before, the Overview/Recent Apps view takes a long time to appear, etc.

Would doing a factory data reset help? (My understanding is that would leave me with a "clean" Lollipop installation, as though I just purchased a phone with Lollipop already on it, but I could be wrong.)

I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone who actually did upgrade their Nexus 4/5/7/10 to Lollipop and then did a factory reset, and whether you experienced a performance improvement or not.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lollipop is slow on Nexus 4

It would leave you with a phone that had been purchased with L on it - IF the update didn't glitch. If there's something wrong with the update (and the way Google updates Android - themselves or through a carrier - over the air just begs for problems), nothing but a clean flash will help.

88 FLUX

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lollipop is slow on Nexus 4

I updated my Nexus 4 (unlocked, purchased from Google Play in early 2013) to Lollipop a couple days ago, and it seems to be running much more slowly now. Apps take longer to load than before, the Overview/Recent Apps view takes a long time to appear, etc.

Would doing a factory data reset help? (My understanding is that would leave me with a "clean" Lollipop installation, as though I just purchased a phone with Lollipop already on it, but I could be wrong.)

I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone who actually did upgrade their Nexus 4/5/7/10 to Lollipop and then did a factory reset, and whether you experienced a performance improvement or not.

My Nexus 4 had been collecting dust for a bit when the Lollipop update rolled out. So I chose to flash the factory image instead of doing the OTA since getting everything up to date on my existing config would have taken as long as setting up from scratch. And with that being said, I can tell you that Lollipop has been as smooth as butter for me on my Nexus 4. So if you really don't mind factory resetting, tinkering with the SDK, and don't want to wait for an assumed OTA fix from Google, then I would recommend flashing the image.