Does the setting on the Smart Lock know when the phone is technically not locked?

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Smart lock, notifications. Not seen this question anywhere.

With smart lock enabled, and working properly, you get the options to display all/sensitive/none notifications on the lock screen. This is all simple so far (eventually!).

My question is this. The settings say "when device is locked" which i assumed to be locked as in, smart lock enabled but outside of the trusted locations or devices radius etc. It seems to mean, simply the lock screen even when smart lock is in effect.

What i'd want to happen would be at home, or with trusted devices, the lock screen shows all notifications, but when a passcode is required outside of that, the notifications switch to sensitive or none.

Why does this setting not take into consideration that smart lock means the phone is technically *not* locked at these points? Lock screen shouldn't mean *when locked* if a pin code is not going to be required.

Anybody else think the same? Or am i missing something?

Thank you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Smart lock, notifications. Not seen this question anywhere.

What's supposed to happen is that if you're in a Trusted Place or you're connected to a Trusted Device, then there is no lockscreen--it opens straight to the homescreen. So there's should be no need for the lockscreen notification settings. If you're not in a Trusted Place or connected to a Trusted Device, then the lockscreen will appear depending on its settings, and that's when the lockscreen notification settings take effect.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Smart lock, notifications. Not seen this question anywhere.

Theres still a lockscreen, on the moto g2 in any case. Stock one replaces the pin code or whatever when a trusted device or location is detected.

You still have to swipe to unlock, but the pin code isnt needed. I just wish the notifications were sensitive to whether the trusted device was there or not. :(

Last edited: