Office app associations intermittent, what can I do?

mellis8

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Office app associations intermittent

On my wife's tablet, when I click on any attachment in the Gmail app, it comes up saying "no app associated with this file type (docx). Do you want to search for one...". I had already installed Word and various other Office apps. In other words, it's not jumping to the screen to select an app 'just once' or 'always'. The one that DOES work is PDF; it just seems office apps can't associate.

HOWEVER, this only happens when I'm looking at emails from within her personal IMAP account. When in Gmail I switch to her gmail.com account, there's no problem. I can set up the associations fine and attachments always open. Interestingly, attachments saved into Google Drive on the tablet also aren't associated with any office apps.

I have wiped and reinstalled everything. I've tried clearing the default associations through each app (through settings / apps). I downloaded 'Default App Manager' and went through those options.

Really appreciate any help. The tablet is a Hudl2 on Lollipop 5.1.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Office app associations intermittent

On my wife's tablet, when I click on any attachment in the Gmail app, it comes up saying "no app associated with this file type (docx). Do you want to search for one...". I had already installed Word and various other Office apps. In other words, it's not jumping to the screen to select an app 'just once' or 'always'. The one that DOES work is PDF; it just seems office apps can't associate.

HOWEVER, this only happens when I'm looking at emails from within her personal IMAP account. When in Gmail I switch to her gmail.com account, there's no problem. I can set up the associations fine and attachments always open. Interestingly, attachments saved into Google Drive on the tablet also aren't associated with any office apps.

I have wiped and reinstalled everything. I've tried clearing the default associations through each app (through settings / apps). I downloaded 'Default App Manager' and went through those options.

Really appreciate any help. The tablet is a Hudl2 on Lollipop 5.1.

Welcome to Android Central!

Have you tried using a different email app all together like the Outlook email app?

mellis8

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
yeah, only solution is to stop using gmail, tho that doesn't make sense to me. Finally got it working with Outlook. (Had tried other doc readers - no joy). Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699