Contact importing problem (i'm a new android user). Please help.

Sonu K

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I'm new to Android. I was a windows phone user. Jumped the ship when some of the apps which would've helped me in my daily life did not launch a WP version.

Anyway, So I have 2 Gmail accounts and an Outlook account. Some of the contacts in these accounts have only email address in them and some of them have both email and phone numbers and some of them only phone numbers. Now, i want to have only the last two categories in my new android phone (Xiaomi Redmi Note 3). Basically the contacts which have phone numbers in them. How do i do that? Please help.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you are using the Google Contacts app, open any contact and tap the Edit (pencil) icon. Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap "More fields". Scroll to the bottom again ant tap "Group name", then assign the contact to a group. Repeat for all your contacts.

Return to the main Contacts page and tap the three dot icon at top-right of screen; select "Contacts to display" and then tap Customize and your Gmail account ID. Select the groups you want to display.

You can do the first part on a PC, if available, as it is far more convenient. Just go to https://contacts.google.com/.

Having said all that, why bother? If you have *all* the contacts on your device, you can easily send email by just selecting a name from your contacts list. But, you can't do that if they aren't on your phone...

Sonu K

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
If you are using the Google Contacts app, open any contact and tap the Edit (pencil) icon. Scroll to the bottom of the page and tap "More fields". Scroll to the bottom again ant tap "Group name", then assign the contact to a group. Repeat for all your contacts.

Return to the main Contacts page and tap the three dot icon at top-right of screen; select "Contacts to display" and then tap Customize and your Gmail account ID. Select the groups you want to display.

You can do the first part on a PC, if available, as it is far more convenient. Just go to https://contacts.google.com/.

Having said all that, why bother? If you have *all* the contacts on your device, you can easily send email by just selecting a name from your contacts list. But, you can't do that if they aren't on your phone...
Problem is i have hundreds and hundreds of contacts in my email adress book. I don't even remember some of them. Google just collects almost every random email ID i contacted in the last 10 years or so. My windowsphone has an updated contact list (most of them are from Fcaebook). It's so sad that Android don't have a system like People hub where you can connect a person's every social media accounts together. I came to android for the apps. But sadly, the OS lacks basic functions. It frustrates me. :(

Last edited:

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I understand.

Do you have access to a PC?
  1. Go to https://contacts.google.com/u/0/preview/all
  2. Tick off the little box to the left of every name in the list that shows an email but not a phone number
  3. Now, at top-right of the screen, click this Capture.JPG icon and select a group to add all the ticked contacts to that group. Create a new group if necessary.
  4. Proceed as before