Galaxy S4 NO SPACE LEFT?

kirby1107

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Hello.

I have tried and tried again to get this thing to go away.

I have rebooted several times
Cleared cache through Ccleaner AND through individual apps.
Used the *#9900# route to wipe log multiple times
Went into recovery mode and wiped cache that way
Uninstalled updates on several built in apps
Deleted several apps I do not use regularly
Moved my total of 23 photos to SD
Cleared out gmail trash and spam folders through the app
Cleared out large downloaded files
Moved my music to SD card

I only have one game thats about 66mb and I have moved it to SD.
Facebook is now my largest app aside from GooglePlay and it has been moved to SD.

All of this, yet the message continues to bother me. In fact, I had just gone through and deleted 400 sms texts and a new message pops up later saying "memory full, not able to accept incoming texts" or something to that effect. So I deleted a few more little things, a couple photos, what little cache I had , etc...

This is really mind boggling as just a month ago I had over 100 photos, lots more texts, a few more apps, and all updates still installed and there was no problem at all.
Not only that, but when I go into settings it says I have used space of 9.25GB and when I click on it I only have 3.51GB in applications, 28MB in photos, and some 195KB elsewhere. If this is supposed to be a 16GB phone and it tells me that system memory-or the amount needed run the system- is 6.26GB, where the hell is the other 6-7GB? Can someone explain this to me?

Does anyone have a secret to this? Or must I perform a factory reset? Please......help

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
kirby1107;5373873I said:
only have one game thats about 66mb and I have moved it to SD.
Well, sort of. You've "moved" tiny pieces of the game to the card, and left pointers to those pieces in main storage. If the pieces are smaller than the pointers (that's a random thing), you've used up more main storage than you started with.

Facebook is now my largest app aside from GooglePlay and it has been moved to SD.
Almost none of Facebook moves to the SD. (And FB is one of the largest storage and memory hogs in an Android phone.)

All of this, yet the message continues to bother me.
Run FB and you store newly downloaded data - eating any space you've cleared.

In fact, I had just gone through and deleted 400 sms texts
At an average of 80 characters per message, that's 3.2k - not much space at all.

Not only that, but when I go into settings it says I have used space of 9.25GB and when I click on it I only have 3.51GB in applications, 28MB in photos, and some 195KB elsewhere.
And 4GB of system storage - that accounts for about 16GB. (Android needs its own storage - which is never shown to you.)

If this is supposed to be a 16GB phone and it tells me that system memory-or the amount needed run the system- is 6.26GB, where the hell is the other 6-7GB? Can someone explain this to me?
9.25+anywhere from 4-8 +3.51 = about 16.76-20.76GB. (Again - that 4-8GB isn't shown unless you drop down to Linux and look at the raw storage.)

These days a 16GB phone is a very tiny phone - which is why a) Marshmallow allows you to use the SD card as part of internal storage (which doesn't work all the time) and b) a "small" phone these days is anywhere from 32GB-128GB internal storage. It's also why people get new phones every 2-3 years - not because the manufacturers are pushing you to spend more money, but because a 4 year old phone just doesn't have enough space for today's apps. (Even if you're only running the same couple of apps you've been running for a few years, they update - and the updates are huge compared to the versions that ran in Android 2 or 3. Blame the app developers - they get larger phones and get sloppier with their code at the same time.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codex_umbra