Best Android to PC push / SMS app ? Alt to pushbullet, Mightytext etc? Vs Google Voice Porting? MPCS

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Curious if anyone has found an alternative pusher for android to pc, other than pushbullet or mightytext.. mightytext seems to be the better choice of the two, allowing 250 messages free per month vs 100.. but both cost around $40 / year to have full ability.

Are there any alternatives with greater sms push ability than 250 for free?

Thanks for any suggestions

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Best Android to PC push / SMS app ? Alt to pushbullet, Mightytext etc? Free choices with larger

Not the ideal solution, but if you port your number to Google Voice (or switch to a Google Voice number) you can get your SMS in Hangouts anywhere by just logging into your account on any browser/client.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: Best Android to PC push / SMS app ? Alt to pushbullet, Mightytext etc? Free choices with larger

Not the ideal solution, but if you port your number to Google Voice (or switch to a Google Voice number) you can get your SMS in Hangouts anywhere by just logging into your account on any browser/client.

I gave that a thought, but wasnt so keen on doing that, but i guess it would allow to send sms back as well.

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site

I decided to look into this.. I setup Google Voice as the voicemail end of things on the phone.. but without porting, any sms sent from the web will often show up as being from the GV number, not the mobile number.

I think this is where i'd need to port from MetroPCS (if its even possible and no ramifications).. have you or anyone else done this? Is the only real benefit that in hangouts i could then send sms messages as being "from" my mobile number and NOT GV? Was hoping to avoid this and a $20 fee..

markm75

Jan 23, 2016
Visit site
I guess one alternative is mysms, which doesnt appear to limit the number of text messages you can send from the browser.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I decided to look into this.. I setup Google Voice as the voicemail end of things on the phone.. but without porting, any sms sent from the web will often show up as being from the GV number, not the mobile number.

I think this is where i'd need to port from MetroPCS (if its even possible and no ramifications).. have you or anyone else done this? Is the only real benefit that in hangouts i could then send sms messages as being "from" my mobile number and NOT GV? Was hoping to avoid this and a $20 fee..

Yup, if you don't port your number, all texts sent from GV are from the GV number, not your 'normal' one. If you want to keep using that number for texting, then you need to port it to GV (I haven't done it, but it IS possible, just like any other phone company).