Facebook comments from Notification List

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I've noticed this for a couple of weeks and I haven't found any info on the web... and as you know, the non-existent Facebook support doesn't make things easier, either.

My problem is this (replicated on a Galaxy S2 and an OG Droid). Whenever I get a notification about a comment someone left on my status or someone elses', if I click on the notification it takes me to the status and comment list, but I can't comment! No 'compose field', no keyboard, nothing... If I go to my own profile, click on my status and then try to comment, then it is fine... the problem is only when clicking on notifications (which is basically the usual way to go).

I don't think it's the new Facebook app version since the problem began long after the app was updated. I CAN recall that the problem began when I updated the Facebook messenger app, but as I mentioned before, the issue also happens on an OG Droid where the messaging app is not installed...

So, I'm still baffled and still unable to comment from notifications...

Any ideas?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how to contact Facebook about the app? Posting on their page certainly doesn't help thanks to all the spam and nonsense people seem to post there (I still don't get why someone would wanna post a pic of themselves on an app page wall...)

8threads

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
you all ever get any further with a resolution to this?
it's such a pain in the neck. i hate searching through pages and pages just to comment.
it was on the most recent Facebook app update that broke this.
anyhow, just thought i'd check.
thanks

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
it's annoying as hell... that's why I kept using FriendCaster... the only downside to FriendCaster is that you don't get instant Push notifications like the Facebook app does... in FC takes from 1 to 4 minutes for the notification to arrive after it was posted due to Facebook API, FriendCaster Push, and Google C2DM server delays.

Guess there's no such thing as a free lunch... I use Facebook for the instant notifications but still use FriendCaster for functionality (and also you get notifications for likes...so that's a plus)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This goes to show the error was on Facebook's end... no update to the app in months and the comments suddenlty started to work again... just the same way they stopped working, they came back... let's see how long they stay fixed (and see how long until something else is broken)

ccw1134

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
I think the problems are directly related to changes that they're making "behind the curtains" on the website side of things. For example, I noticed a couple of days ago that now when I get poke notifications that it actually takes me pokes within the Facebook app. On the website it's Log In | Facebook, I'm betting we'll see a new release before the year's end.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think that since the last major version change, the Facebook app actually is just a cover for the old touch mobile site... so that's probably why without any changes to the app things suddenly stop working and getting fixed 'on their own'... more an API translator that just hooks up to the web code than an actual app... again, I might be wrong, but it seems to be that way...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa