Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I think I have my head around variables but I'm wondering how to go about it the right way.

I want to have a Home Area and Home Variable.
Home Area - For when I'm connected to mast/cells near my home to set the variable to Yes
Home - As above really but also when I'm connected to my home wifi

What I'm wondering though is that once the variable is Yes but I then leave my Home area/Home how do I toggle the variable to No?

Do I queue another event (within the Home Area/Home event) to set the variable to No or do I make up another variable that sets the value to No?

Queue an event for the No variable.

Not sure if this has been asked in some form or not, but i didnt see anything while searching through this thread.
Im running a Droid Maxx and have 3 events set up.
One for Left Home - Changes profile to Normal (normal for me is loud everything)
The 2nd one is for Quiet at Home Changes Profile to Quiet (keep the wife happy)
3rd one is for Silent at Home - Changes Profile to Silent between 9:00 PM and 7:00 A.M.

I set the 3rd one up last night and at 7:00 this morning it stayed on Silent. Shouldn't it be able to change back to Quiet after the 7:00 A.M.?

Llama doesn't do things automatically in this way. There has to be a following condition for it to act upon (like a new profile kicking in at 0700.) Otherwise it will stay stuck at the previous triggered event.

Put some variables in your events. That should take care of it.

BJozi

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site

I think I tested that but it wouldn't work, might have been doing something wrong!

I've my own head wreck since lastnight trying to come up with a good system.

I want do a few things but can't get my head around making it work.

Is there an easy way to post up my events? Or does everyone type them out?

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Is there an easy way to post up my events? Or does everyone type them out?

People generally type them out, but I've seen some ZIPs in this thread too. No idea what they were, though.

Here is an example of a variable event that I've created (see the next post too, for a correction.) See if your general structure matches that.

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Llama doesn't do things automatically in this way. There has to be a following condition for it to act upon (like a new profile kicking in at 0700.) Otherwise it will stay stuck at the previous triggered event.
Put some variables in your events. That should take care of it.
Is there a list of variables somewhere or can i just make up my own name? If i make them up, how do they point back to a valid function?
Is there a tutorial for this somewhere? I have looked at the FAQ on the developers site and elsewhere, and there seems to be little info on how to use variables.

Another issue im having is that my home area shows 2 cells. Both are pretty weak. Ill get 1 cell downstairs and 2 up. Llama keeps switching between profiles as a result.
Is there some way around this?

BJozi

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
People generally type them out, but I've seen some ZIPs in this thread too. No idea what they were, though.

Here is an example of a variable event that I've created (see the next post too, for a correction.) See if your general structure matches that.

Will have a nosey at that tomorrow, spending to much time at it as is :p I realized earlier when at the cinema I need to change some variable and start over again, I think.

Lotl2: You make up the variables. I can't think of a good way to explain so I'll use one example I was using. Say you have a day and a night profile that both trigger depending on a time

Conditions could be:
- Between '9am - 10pm'
The action would be:
- Set Llama variable "Profile" to "Day"

This set profile to equal "Day" during that period. You can then have another for for example night

Condition:
- Between '10pm - 9am'
The action would be:
- Set Llama variable "Profile" to "Night"

That changes the variable to "Night"

Using these variable you could for example have an event to turn on your volume during the day and off at night by creating an even like this:

Condition:
Llama variable: When "Profile" has a value of "Day"
Action:
Set profile to "Normal"

Hope that kinda makes sense? The variables and their conditions can be anything at all but I find it makes sense to keep them simple like the example above. I think you could also have done something like when variable is not xxxxxxx then do actions yyyyyy

Does anyone know does it make sense to use a lot of variables for different things just so that event can look at them and trigger? Or is it better to trigger events that then run a variable that will do something..... I don;t think I'm making sense now :/

---edit---

You could have a variable set that says your home when your connected to 2towers OR 1tower AND on your home wifi and then trigger the profile dependant on the variable.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Another issue im having is that my home area shows 2 cells. Both are pretty weak. Ill get 1 cell downstairs and 2 up. Llama keeps switching between profiles as a result.
Is there some way around this?

Delete the home area, make Llama re-learn it. Set a long learning time window, and walk within the entire home area in that time frame.

jazzmozz

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I have installed Llama some days ago and figuring out what it can do for me. I have read this whole thread and 'borrowed' some of the events created by kurokirasama (thanks!:)) and adapted them to my needs. What I would like is to have my phone imitating Juice Defender scripts in such way that the phone will sync every 5 (wifi) or 6 (data plan) minutes. I have created the following events (among others). Will they work?

Sync program data on data plan
Advanced -> Repeat Event: yes; Repeat Interval: 6 minutes
Conditions
1) Time Between: 07:00 - 23:00
2) OR (match any): when 'wifizone' (1) does not have a value of 'yes' or when your phone disconnects from <Any WiFi network>
3) AND (match all): when using battery and when screen turns off (3)
Actions
1) Toggle Mobile Data: On
2) Toggle Account Sync: Enable Sync, Request Update
3) Queue another event
Queue delay: 1 minute​
No Conditions
Actions
1) Toggle Account Sync: Disable​
2) Llama Variable: Set Llama variable 'syncdata' (see under (2)) to 'no'​
3) Queue another event​
Queue delay: 1 second​
Conditions
1) Llama variable: when 'activeappdata' (2) does not have a value of 'yes'​
2) Screen on​
Actions
Toggle Mobile Data: Off​
4) Toggle Wifi: Off (if not connected)​

Sync program data on Wifi
Advanced -> Repeat Event: yes; Repeat Interval: 5 minutes
Conditions
1) Time Between: 07:00 - 23:00
2) OR (match any): when 'wifizone' (1) has a value of 'yes' or when your phone connects to <Any WiFi network>
3) AND (match all): when using battery and when screen turns off (3)
Actions
1) Toggle Wifi: On
2) Queue another event
Queue delay: 8 seconds​
Conditions
Wifi Network Connected: <Any Wifi Network>​
Actions
1) Toggle Account Sync: Enable Sync, Request Update​
2) Queue another event​
Queue delay: 1 second​
No Conditions
Actions
1) Toggle Account Sync: Disable​
2) Llama variable: Set Llama variable 'syncwifi' to 'no'​
3) Set Llama variable 'syncwifi' to 'yes'​
4) Queue another event​
Queue delay: 8 seconds​
Conditions
Wifi Network Disconnected: <Any Wifi Network>​
Actions
1) Llama variable: Set Llama variable 'syncwifi' to 'no'​
2) Toggle Wifi: Off​

(1) 'Wifizone' is defined as the location of my Areas
(2) 'activeappdata' is defined as when apps x, y, OR z are active and the screen is on and 'wifizone' value is 'yes', then Toggle Mobile Data: On, and another event is queued with conditions that the apps x, y AND z are not active and the actions are that 'activeappdata' is set to 'no' and another event is queued with conditions when 'activeappdata' does not have a value of 'yes', Screen is on, Llama variable 'syncdata' does not have a value of 'yes', then the action is Toggle Mobile Data: Off.
(3) I also have created an event what to do when the phone is either on the charger or the screen is on.

Calendar event and profile
Another thing is that I want to sleep in every part time day and during my vacations. I have created a Silence Profile. I have also created a variable as follows:
Condition
Calendar event: Event name contains 'part time day|vacation' (only all day events)
Action
Llama Variable: Set Llama variable 'dayoff' to 'yes'

I then made the following events:

1) Profile night vacation
Condition
1) Time Between 23:00 - 08:15
2) Llama Variable: When 'dayoff' has a value of 'yes'
Action
Change profile: Quiet

and

2) Profile night working days

Condition
1) Time Between 23:00 - 07:00
2) Llama Variable: When 'dayoff' does not have a value of 'yes'
Action
Change profile: Quiet

and

3) Profile day vacation
Condition
1) Time Between 08:15 - 23:00
2) Llama Variable: When 'dayoff' has a value of 'yes'
Action
Change profile: Normal

and

4) Profile day working day
Condition
1) Time Between 07:00 - 23:00
2) Llama Variable: When 'dayoff' does not have a value of 'yes'
Action
Change profile: Normal

The problem is that even when the word 'vacation' (all day event) occurs in my agenda today and the created variable 'dayoff' is showing all green in my list of events (I assume thus indicating that the variable is true/yes), the events 1 and 3 do not trigger. Instead events 2 and 4 trigger. What am I doing wrong?

Detailed suggestions are very welcome. Thank you for taking the time to send a reply. Very much appreciated!

bveyndhoven

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had a similar problem with time spans that go over midnight. I resolved it by splitting them. For example:

Day off = yes
OR
day = Monday and time 2300-0000
day = Tuesday and time 0000-0818

Posted via Android Central App using Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini

jazzmozz

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion, however that's not really the problem. The problem is that today my calendar contains an event called 'vacation'.

I have set the following 'variable' event:
Condition:
Calendar Event: agenda has a calendar event named vacation ( must be all day)
Action:
Set Llama Variable 'dayoff' to 'yes'.
The variable is true because it turns up green in my list of events.

I then made a 'profile' event:
Conditions:
1) When Llama Variable 'dayoff' has a value of 'yes'
2) Time between 08:15-23:00
Action:
Change Profile to Normal

Because the 'variable' event holds true (it's green), you would say that the same goes for condition 1 of the 'profile' event, but that is not the case. This condition shows up red in my list of events (the second condition is green because it now is 22:17 hrs). How come? Am I missing something? Consequently the 'profile' event does not trigger. I am puzzled!

dfduarte

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Did you check if the variable really has the value of yes? In the events tab press the options key on your android and choose Llama variables.
The condition matches, thats why its green, you need to check if the action was triggered in the variable event.

jazzmozz

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Did you check if the variable really has the value of yes? In the events tab press the options key on your android and choose Llama variables.
The condition matches, thats why its green, you need to check if the action was triggered in the variable event.
Hmm, that is strange. The variable does not show up in the list of variables. It shows up in my event tab and it's all green (and as I said in the event I created it is red). But when I choose Llama variables in the options key, it isn't listed. Any idea how it may be solved? I also notice that some old variables show up in this variables list. May it have to do with this? Questions....questions....

Thanks for your suggestions!

BJozi

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I think the variable stay in the list and just change state. Wen I loaded in an older/different events profile I had backup I noticed some variables were still there even though there were no rules to set them. You could try clearing them?

Can some one tell me also in relation to variable. I've noticed in a few different posts people use "when 'variablexxxx' does not have a value of 'yes'. Why not change the variable to no and say when 'variable' has a value of 'no'?

dfduarte

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Can some one tell me also in relation to variable. I've noticed in a few different posts people use "when 'variablexxxx' does not have a value of 'yes'. Why not change the variable to no and say when 'variable' has a value of 'no'?
A variable can have many values and you may create an event for that variable that triggers with all but one value. It all depends on the values you give that variable and how you change it.
Think of a variable called battery. I can give this variable the value low, charging and full. And on one event i can tell Llama to do something when the battery is not low, like turn on automatic brightness.

Hmm, that is strange. The variable does not show up in the list of variables. It shows up in my event tab and it's all green (and as I said in the event I created it is red). But when I choose Llama variables in the options key, it isn't listed. Any idea how it may be solved? I also notice that some old variables show up in this variables list. May it have to do with this? Questions....questions....
Llama events usually trigger once when the condition starts, i never used calendar events but it must be something the way it checks the start of the event in the calendar, or the way it is setup to do.
Trigger the event actions yourself and see if everything runs as expected. If it does check the condition settings, event start, name, in calendars...

Bruttus1

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Hello, apologizing for my bad English . I have a SGSII , 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. I need advice with a llama because I am a complete layman. I need to set :
1.The areas "Home" named -enabled Wi-Fi networks , turn off mobile data and profile settings for the home with the help of reach of home WiFi network
2.The areas "Out of Home" mobile data is turned on , turned off WiFi and outdoor profile, including through the range of your home network.
3.Ride where my car handsfree with BT .
and / Get in the car , connect to the handsfree kit and change your profile to silent and let the active mobile data.
b / out of the car , disconnect from HFS, change the profile to the outside , letting active mobile data.
1 and 2 of my work using telephone poles . Unfortunately, I have a place at home within 2 masts and their range is too large and does not satisfy me .
Trying to reach domestic use WiFi but do not know how to do it . When WiFi is enabled on the phone and I'm at home , so leaving it works perfectly.
Unfortunately, when I come home and it should turn on WiFi , so anything and of course nothing other events too .
Similarly, with " Get in the car " and when it is on BT , to unite with HFS and completes other akce.Když BT is turned on , nothing .
When I get out of the car so it's ok .
Foolishly I thought when I leave WiFi and BT monitor that turn themselves without my having to turn by hand.
Does anyone know how to do it ? I will be grateful for any valuable advice

For users who have a need to identify areas by domestic or any other named network in Llama.*
In Settings / Experimental Stuff check Check for WiFi networks.
In addition, you can specify WiFi Polling Interval to the interval in which the Llama forcing the phone to turn on WiFi for a moment and when it finds a defined network, so it connects.
WiFi network must be defined in terms of WiFi Networks Connected, where you select the desired network and the actions you select WiFi and WiFi On check.
On this condition, you can specify additional action is necessary.
Similarly, certainly the second event to turn off WiFi networks.
The same process I used for switching on and off BT handsfree kit in the car.
Switching on and off BT works perfectly but I have a problem with WiFi. Llama threw me an error message referring to a problem with the SGS2, which can not practically resolved, see:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=22036&q=Wifi&sort=id&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Owner%20Summary%20Stars&start=300

Last edited:

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm using llama now and I'm getting used to it. It helps that I'm familiar with various programming languages... variables, IF, AND, OR are all too familiar. This program is a must have to any Android imo!

Note to self: GOTTA LEARN MORE ANDROID INTENTS!! :)

BJozi

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to copy some events from kurokirasama and even translate some of his but I keep giving up because I'm not 100% sure whats going on or whats happening. I've resorted to this after trying a few events myself but I (think it through to much probably) keep hitting a problem I can't figure out how to get round it.

I want both data and wifi to enable/disable as and when on or the other is available. But I can't figure out how to create an event that will automatically disable wifi and enable data for syncing and then switch back when there is a wifi connection. I've tried it with different variables but not quite cracked it yet, although from dfduarte's post I now see I can maybe use variables like is variable is not equal to a value do something, I was using them as either on/off as such. Between jazzmozz and kurokirasama but I keep deleting and leaving it for a day or so but I think I'm missing something? I've no idea what wifi polling is but I'm sure if I understood how to use it it would help me. I also didn't know about defining a wifi network, probably something else I can use?

How did you guys go about creating your events anyway?

anon(4903109)

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been trying to copy some events from kurokirasama and even translate some of his but I keep giving up because I'm not 100% sure whats going on or whats happening. I've resorted to this after trying a few events myself but I (think it through to much probably) keep hitting a problem I can't figure out how to get round it.

I want both data and wifi to enable/disable as and when on or the other is available. But I can't figure out how to create an event that will automatically disable wifi and enable data for syncing and then switch back when there is a wifi connection. I've tried it with different variables but not quite cracked it yet, although from dfduarte's post I now see I can maybe use variables like is variable is not equal to a value do something, I was using them as either on/off as such. Between jazzmozz and kurokirasama but I keep deleting and leaving it for a day or so but I think I'm missing something? I've no idea what wifi polling is but I'm sure if I understood how to use it it would help me. I also didn't know about defining a wifi network, probably something else I can use?

How did you guys go about creating your events anyway?

shouldn't wifi just auto connect to an available network anyway? You can't disable Wifi and then expect llama to know if there's an available wifi connection. The only thing that (I believe) you can do is program the areas in which Wifi connections are available and create a trigger based on those locations instead.

Unless your phone has Wifi on intermittently or always, it won't know that there is a wifi connection available

dfduarte

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
That is what WiFi Pooling is for, just like Bruttus1 told a couple of messages back. It checks the available wifi networks from time to time.
You can use WiFi Pooling and create events based on when WiFi connects to certain wifi networks, but thats not optimal behavior. Llama description is a location aware app, its best used with cell based location.
I have my home and work locations set, and when i'm in those areas i disable mobile data and enable wifi. When i get near my home/work wifi router it connects because wifi was already activated based on cell tower location. When i'm not in those areas wifi is disabled and mobile data enabled.

I tried wifi polling for some time but i didn't see any benefits.

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried wifi polling for some time but i didn't see any benefits.

It could work when your Home area is excessively large. In my case, for example, it's at least .25 miles in radius, if not more. My WiFi, obviously doesn't get out as far as there, so I wouldn't want my WiFi turning on that far away. I'm going to try WiFi polling and see how well it works.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty