Shapewriter Going Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegasden

May 13, 2010
vegasden.net
On their site, they are pulling out of the Android Market effective tomorrow:

User Notice: We plan to take ShapeWriter off the Android Market on June 20, 2010 for an indefinite period of time, If you have purchased or downloaded ShapeWriter Keyboard on your Android device, please update it to the latest Version 3.0.9 which will not expire as the previous versions do. We thank you for your interest and support.

ShapeWriter

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am just very curious why they are pulling it.

While we are here is there an easy way to save just the .apk file to install later if need be?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
i would almost guarantee it is because of swype. im surprised slideIt is not taking their app off as well. unless they are planning on altering it so that it won't infringe on Swype's patent they will probably be gone. if anybody here uses them and wants to keep it, i would download it right now and make a backup on your sd card.

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Can (or will) someone post the .apk so we can download it and install it after flashing a new ROM?
Or will someone tell me how to get the .apk myself (no access to a computer at the moment, only have the Evo with me).

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Can (or will) someone post the .apk so we can download it and install it after flashing a new ROM?
Or will someone tell me how to get the .apk myself (no access to a computer at the moment, only have the Evo with me).

download it in from the market and also download astro. Then use astro to make a backup.

dfine1966

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't find a way to back it up. I tried Astro, which saw it, but it says it is private. I tried MyBackup Pro, and it doesn't see it at all. I think the only way to actually back it up is if you have your phone rooted.

rbcmd

May 22, 2010
Visit site
forgive my lack of knowledge...but when i update to froyo on my evo (whenever it becomes available)..will it wipe out the apps i've installed ..like shapewriter?

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
if you wipe your device then any app that is not in the market will be gone.

anybody who is interested in backing it up so that they will have a copy of it, here what you can do:

1) go to the market and download a file manager app called "astro" (if you don't have it already)

2) open Astro up and then press the menu button.

3) select tools

4) select Application Manager/Backup

5) You should now see 2 tabs at the top "Installed apps" and "backed up apps". It should be on the installed apps by default, if not make sure you select it.

6) scroll down to the application you want to back up on your SD Card (in this case, ShapeWriter) and then press the check-mark box to the right of it.

7) Press the buttons on top that says "backup".

8) You have now backed up the application. Enjoy

When you want to restore it, here is what you have to do:

1) Follow the same steps 1-4 that i wrote for backing up apps.

2) this time around make sure you select "backed up apps" instead of the "intalled apps" tab.

3) find the app that you have backed up and want to restore and press the check-mark box to the right of it.

4) press the "install" box at the top.

5) your app is not restored to your device and you can access it.

keep in mind that doing it this way will not restore the market link so if you back up other apps you will not be able to install updates to it. In this case it doesn't really matter because the app is being pulled so there will not be any updates coming to it.

hope this helps everybody. if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask

WatermelonSlim

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
if you wipe your device then any app that is not in the market will be gone.

anybody who is interested in backing it up so that they will have a copy of it, here what you can do:

1) go to the market and download a file manager app called "astro" (if you don't have it already)

2) open Astro up and then press the menu button.

3) select tools

4) select Application Manager/Backup

5) You should now see 2 tabs at the top "Installed apps" and "backed up apps". It should be on the installed apps by default, if not make sure you select it.

6) scroll down to the application you want to back up on your SD Card (in this case, ShapeWriter) and then press the check-mark box to the right of it.

7) Press the buttons on top that says "backup".

8) You have now backed up the application. Enjoy

When you want to restore it, here is what you have to do:

1) Follow the same steps 1-4 that i wrote for backing up apps.

2) this time around make sure you select "backed up apps" instead of the "intalled apps" tab.

3) find the app that you have backed up and want to restore and press the check-mark box to the right of it.

4) press the "install" box at the top.

5) your app is not restored to your device and you can access it.

keep in mind that doing it this way will not restore the market link so if you back up other apps you will not be able to install updates to it. In this case it doesn't really matter because the app is being pulled so there will not be any updates coming to it.

hope this helps everybody. if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask

Have you tried this? As has already been posted in this thread, shapewriter says it is private and Astro won't back it up. If it does work for you then please post the apk because nobody else can get that method to work.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
ok yeah, i was only going based off of memory of Astro and i just tried it and it didn't work.

i tried using root explorer to copy the apk and paste it onto the sd card but that isn't working either.

the only other thing i can do is try it using Titanium Backup. ill let you know how that goes. it is restoring my apps as we speak. the only downfall with this (if it works) is that it will require you to have root access.

ill keep you updated

UPDATE: You can back it up with titanium backup. make sure you device is rooted and then install Titanium and back up your apps. one thing is if you do want to make sure you always have it backed up, when you delete your previous backups when you want to make a new back up of your apps, make sure you do not delete this. otherwise it will be gone for good.

and as for posting the APK here, that can't be done. they had it pulled for a reason and if it was posted here that would be warez. sorry, but we can not do that here.

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
My battery usage went thru the roof with this installed and selected as the input method.
From full charge to phone shutdown in 4 hours. Hot phone the whole time, yet nothing showed up as particularly CPU intensive.

Its just quirky enough to send me back to SmartKeyboard.

AWDmonster

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering if they are going to pull off the iphone version off of their app store also. I looked and did not see a message for them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melseywag